My HIC build. TheFiVe0

I would thing a industrial grade adhesive would work like Loctite 505. Amazon has it : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOCAU...af4-9003-96f70c48a63e&hsa_cr_id=5913377600001
I am assuming you will be blending the edges of Han into the surface of your backing board too. Do you know what you will use for that, or do you just plan on using Bondo ?

Not sure yet. I was thinking if the glue method. Haven’t completely decided yet. Either I’ll cut out another 1/8 piece of wood to surround han (to raise it up) or I’ll use the glue. Haven’t decided yet.

Not sure how good the glue works but I like the idea. Anyone know if the glue lasts for the Carbonite?

The Loctite 505 really works great if you decide to go that way. I've used it to install plastic and wood trim on base boards and on the ceiling of houses in the past.
Everything I've glued with it has held for years so far !!

attachment.jpg

A little more work completed. I have put a ton of bondo on the outside trim and been sanding it out.

I usedsome foam from Lowe’s to fill in the main areas of Hand hands and face. The foam is “good stuff” from Lowe’s.
attachment.jpg

I filled in the hands and face before mounting down the cast.

attachment.jpg

I have mounted han to the box and filled him completely with the foam. This step really made him more sturdy. It also helped with adhering him to the box.

I started by mounting the legs.... then filling with foam.... let it dry.... then cut away the access.
I then attached the body to the legs and glued and screwed it to the box.... then filled with foam..... let it dry..... cut away the access.
Then the head.... same idea.

It went smoothly but I need to let everyone know..... use only about half of the foam you think. It really expands:)

I've experienced working with expanding foam, that it is easier to scrape away the excess while it is still expanding than to wait for it to set up and have to cut all the access afterwards !!
Looking Good 5/0 !!

attachment.jpg

Finished up some bondo around the frame. I took several days of just bondo and sanding to try and make it smooth. It still ends up with small marks in the bondo that are tough to sand out.

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

I also started sealing the 3 peice han together with bondo. I basically just used a gloved hand to fill in the gap. This will take a few coats and lots of sanding also but it seems to be working pretty well.

attachment.jpg

This is fully sanded/bondo/and primer. I used
attachment.jpg
rustoleum filler primer. It is sandsble and filled in the little imperfections pretty well. Then use a 350 or higher sand paper. Worked pretty well.

I've experienced working with expanding foam, that it is easier to scrape away the excess while it is still expanding than to wait for it to set up and have to cut all the access afterwards !!
Looking Good 5/0 !!

I agree. I ended up doing both. When it is still expanding it is a huuuuuuge mess. But way easier to remove. I now have foam slime all over my garage. I just tried to manage it enough so I didn’t have to cut away a lot when it hardens.

When attaching Han's pieces, and blending in to the base, you might want to try Latex caulk. Once you run a pass over the area your working on, you can wet it with a spray bottle and work it out very smooth with a smooth foam sponge to blend in edges. If needed you can make a couple of passes to get a really smooth seamless blend of edges or surfaces this way and eliminate a lot of the drudgery of endless sanding !!!

attachment.jpg

Some painting and sanding done.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

The han I received had a very poor coating of primer on it. It started scratching off pretty easily so I decided to sand it down and re primer it.

attachment.jpg

This new primer coating is really thick and coats it very well. It’s the same grey rustoleum primer as earlier.

I’ve put 2 coats of the box paint on so far. I plan to sand it and put on at least 2 more coats.

This seem is from puting the han pieces together. I’ll need to sand it down when the glue is all dry and the carbonite is in place.

This is the han after several days of the glue. It is taking a loooooong time to dry.

A view of the hero panel in place.

I had to create a heat dome and place a heater inside to hopefully mold the glue faster. It’s been over a week.

E4A6BCD1-BFCA-40A1-ACD4-9086B2F94EAC.jpeg

F05D4438-67F8-4161-9580-6568E848A8D0.jpeg

2A3E94D0-21DB-4C9E-A014-22055C8522B5.jpeg

6C10818E-DD99-4FE9-ADED-7182C423A559.jpeg

C2F2CF26-F2CD-49A1-9736-D440F449A1AA.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back