Merkava74's HIC build

merkava74

Hunter
So it's my turn to embark on this project.

I will be doing an ESB version, so 2 hero panels in silver, and 6 remaining in black. Going to leave the top and bottom as just boxes with no greeblies in them.

Han is from KingJawa, which came in 3 parts without the carbonite.

The electronics will be from Fettronics, and the greeblies are a mix of metal parts (clips, handles, and maybe tubes), resin casted (T-blocks and buttons) and 3D printed parts (misc).

I will be sharing my progress here, and will appreciate comments and pointers from those who have gone before me, and hopefully provide some direction and options for those who are to come after me.

Cheers!

Panel 5, corridor scene. I believe there were 2 hero panels made. The scene was not flipped. You can see the differences in Han's hands. his right hand is more crunched, while his left hand is more open. This is consistent in the corridor scene. As such, I believe that there is really a second hero panel on his right side (panel 5 for me). This panel is also distinctively different in that there are no knobs nor LEDs. Unfortunately, the bottom part cannot be seen.

Brightened screenshot of Panel 2. So in ROTJ, this is the Hero panel #2. Where Leia turns the knob before going to Hero #1 and turning the other knob to start the thawing process. If you look at the second photo of the ROTJ scene, the main rectangle window has a flip which opens to reveal the greebly inside. So it is my deduction that the cover is plain, and they "conveniently" added the flip cover in ROTJ which doesn't actually fold down. In the exhibit photos, the hero panel has the clear cover that reveals the greebly, but not in the ESB scene, and also in the second rectangle below the main one, there is no knob.

For panel 6, I found that there were differences between the one shot in the freezing chamber and the photoshoot in the corridor. The window adjacent to the big one is empty in the chamber, while it is with greeblies in the corridor. There are also no tube button greeblies in the long window in the chamber shot.

So that leaves Panel 7 which I cannot find any clear screenshot of, the best being this:

compared to the exhibit Panel 7:

Using these as broad references, and looking at the detailed photos of the exhibit, This will be how I am intending to follow the panels. If there are any kind souls with better reference of the ESB panels, I would be eternally grateful!

I have a question, guys. I just landed a Volvo 343 panel off eBay, and I was shocked to find it in brand new condition! When did they continue producing this part until? I was expecting a beat up old part, but this came with its brown panel box with the speedometer at zero!

full.jpg

full.jpg

Wow, this is fantastic research you've done here !!! What a score finding a new dash panel, excellent work there Metkava !!! Looking forward to seeing this thread...

Next, I poured thin layers of PVA around Han. A total of 8 thin layers were used to achieve the height that I needed. The trick to a good cure is to have thin layers, and have it dry in a cool place with little fluctuations to temperature, and out of direct sunlight.

After 2 weeks of thin layers, I started on the carbonite texture. USing PVA, I dripped it randomly around the board. For this first layer, I had larger splotches.

When that was dry, the second layer went on, this time with more variations and covering the base and first layers.

The first “rough” Carbonite layer. The reason I had 3 previous layers of the smooth Carbonite was that I want this layer to dry showing depth of the layers underneath. Will probably do one more rough layer and call it done.

What did you use for the end of the box.The black containers?I'm getting ready to mess with side panels.You're build is great and thanks for research on side panels.

Attachments

• 20190615_170742.jpg
    20190615_170742.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 363
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back