Flight Suit Jumpsuit

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I started with a navy blue flightsuit and ran it through the washing machine about 5 times, adding about 3 cups of bleach each cycle. They ended up a great shade of purple that matches some of the Jango pictures perfectly. But as we all know, the range of Jango flight suit colors ranges from an eggplant purple to sky blue.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'll do is take a picture with the original material next to the material that only got bleached next to the jumpsuit that got dyed.

Maybe I could even scan this stuff in too... Hmmm...

Here's the scan:
material.jpg

On the left is a piece of the black sheet that I started with. The middle is the swatch of the black sheet I tested before I bleached the jumpsuit gray. The actual jumpsuit after I dyed it purple is on the right...

Guri

Again I ask... did you just add purple?
That looks to be a a pretty accurate color.
And you added no blue, correct?

You can contact Rit directly and if you can supply them with the exact color you want, they will give you a formula to mix to come up with the color.

We used to do it w/ 1/6th scale germans...

Back in the old days...

:)

Hi! I know it's a silly question but should my jumpsuit be a little longer in the leg area so that it passes my ankle and attach to something or does it really matter? I don't want to walk around and get caught with my pant leg riding up the back. Any advise or tips would be helpful. Thanks!

My shin armor has elastic that wraps around my legs through slits in the flight suit. Same with the knee and thigh armor. If you do yours like this, then the weight should keep you pant legs down, problem.

As a backup you could add some velcro inside the bottom of your flightsuit and have it attach to your boots. Problem solved!!!

You could also add stirrups to the bottom of the pant legs. They will be hidden in the shoe & keep the pant legs from riding up.

Yeah, stirrups will solve that quick. You can get elastic at wal-mart or a crafts store at a couple bucks for a few feet. Just cut two small lengths and either sew or snap them on to the bottom sides of your cuffs. Or you could rig your shin armor as mentioned above.

Phil

The absolute best way to keep them perfect is to buy boot ties from an army surplus store. They are these green elastic things that clamp around the top of your boot. You clamp them on, pull your pant leg over it, then just fold it underneath and they stay the way you want them. Just look at some pictures of military uniforms and how they keep their pant legs around the top of the boot. I think this is what would work best

for me it was a simple moma-bear sewed little fishing weights into the cuffs

Daddy-

I've been searching and I see tons of threads on how to use the RIT dye to achieve the correct color but which JCPenney jumpsuit is everyone using? I can't seem to find it listed in any threads or on the jcpenney site. Anyone know?

The purple fabric I bought three months ago finally faded enough! I bought four yards of purple cotton inter-lock fabric at the local Hancock's. It's called inter-lock b/c it comes in a big loop; it's what t-shirts are made of. I cut the fabric to get rid of the loop, and nailed it to my roof for about 2 1/2 months. It faded from a spectrum purple, to a nice violet/indigo. I'm still looking for one of those Green Pepper patterns, but none of the JoAnne's around here carry the jumpsuit. This is going to have to wait for both a pattern, and for me to finish my armor (to know where to put in the slits for the elastic). I'll update you all on my progress (whenever I make some;)) The fabric not only has the color I've been looking for, but it has a great feel and look to it that this picture just doesn't capture.
Dcp_0050.jpg

You know, now that I think about it, the color used in video and film compositing gives the illusion of being both a purple and a blue. I know they make fabric in "Chromakey Blue" but not sure if they are ever heavy duty. Plus, the price can be expensive. Its hard to see the true color in a bitmap image, but here are a few examples.

VideoBlue
videoblue.jpg

ChromakeyBlue
chromakeyblue.jpg

Same with High Powered Studio Lights (obviously appears much brighter blue)
instaflex.jpg

readymadebluescreen.jpg

The look is much more blue in strong light and much more purple in less light.

I'm looking for a place to buy an inexpensive jumpsuit. Any suggestions?

MODS: Maybe if we get some good info rolling we can have a stuck thread for the jumpsuit issue...

If your looking for something inexpensive there is an alternative that a lot of people may not have tried. I use a 2 piece setup (shirt/pants) and it works great! The belts conceal the mid area and if you gotta go....potty, You don't have to strip almost everything you got on just to take a pee. I do have a jumpsuit and when I built my suit, I was so into it that I never thought about the bathroom thing until I had to use one. Not trying to change your mind, just an idea if you have no luck. My 2 piece looks no different than a jumpsuit and most of those items I found in my own closet.
Good luck:D

I have a jumpsuit for me and the two piece (sweat shirt and sweat pants) for my son. Both work well.

You might try all seasons uniforms coveralls. They look like they might work well.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back