Flight Suit Jumpsuit

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
If you have some leftover material or there is an inconspicous spot that you could experiment on, you might want to try your own experimentation with colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dyed mine a darker purple, then bleached it, then dyed it navy blue. then bleached it. i think the bleaching is very important because the real suit looks old and used, like a black or blue t-shirt when it has been washed too much.

I got the Air force blue J/S from Jc penny and bleached it out.It looks OK. Make sure you rinse good,at first it was spotty but then i bleached again and dried no spots.

jangoeric.jpg

I dyed my jumpsuit with 70% RIT purple dye and 30% RIT royal blue dye. After it dried I redyed it with 1/4 package RIT navy blue. After it dries, it looks dead-on the right color.

I picked up a flight suit from an army surplus store has anyone tried to dye one to jango's royal blue?

I already tried color remover and i think it made it brighter! I am now in the process of bleaching it. thanks for the advice. Everyone is very helpful!

this is a quick update. I tried everything I could think of to remove the olive drab including 2 gallons of bleach and two different cycles of rit color remover. that color does not budge. it is still the same olive drab.

Damn... I was afraid of this.... I was going to try doing this with a pair of the same type work coveralls I used for my ROTJ styled Fett.
I may try just to dye some of my left over blue coverall scraps with purple rit dye and see if it just tints it a little to get the Jango look.

I have never seen a fabric repel bleach better in my life. I left that suit in the bleach for 3 hours. Kind of a bummer it fit real good!

mgr--What does the inside label of the olive drab flightsuit say the make up of the fabric is? Is Aramid one of the contents? If so, you're definitely up the creek as far as bleaching it goes. My flightsuit for work is 98% Aramid fiber--AKA--Nomex. It's a fire resistant material so we don't catch fire at work. If the suit is a good fit, I'd recommend taking it apart very carefully with a seam ripper. Boom! Instant pattern! Then just find some material that's a good shade for you, and make your new, comfortable suit.

I had a similar problem with an army jumpsuit. It was 100% cotton, but that color would not come out, no matter how much I tried. I soaked it overnight in bleach and nothing happened. And the label clearly says "100% Cotton." I ended up using a white cotton jumpsuit from here.

I believe JC Penny's has a jumpsuit that comes in slate blue.

the label says 100% cotton on this flight suit also. thanx for the link to the coveralls Bexley

whojedi is kinda considered the forum expert on Jango's costume details.
Seeing how he did handle and assemble the actual costume.

I'm gonna have to side with whojedi on this one.
The color of the jumpsuit on all of the figures looks wrong to me.
And I would also have to admit that the Visual Dictionary even
looks a little off. There is not enough purple to it.

I've come to the conclusion that there is not a ready made jumpsuit
whose color will match close enough to the real deal.
At least not for my picky, detail oriented eye.
I'm even having trouble finding a fabric that looks close.

I just thought I would chime in & give my 2 cents for what it's worth. After studying all available reference material for months, I too believe the actual suit is a purple/eggplant color. It appears blue due to certain lighting conditions & processing. Now that is not to say that a slate blue suit cannot be considered as accurate as well, after all, that is how the color APPEARS to be on screen in most scenes. I think it is a matter of preference. I had one guy tell me he'd be damned if he was going to dress up like a purple dinosaur!

Whojedi, what did you use for your material base ? As in, was it soft cotton, dickie's type cotton, etc. Did you end up bastardizing a poor jumpsuit ?

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back