I went to see Star Wars Power of Costume in Cincinnati!

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
It was a very neat experience! I have never had the opportunity to see real Star Wars items in person and I enjoyed it greatly.

It LITERALLY puts things in perspective! The movie screen just makes everything bigger than life, but its amazing how much smaller they actually are. I think the most striking to me was the Boushh display. Carrie Fisher was TINY!!!

I noticed that the exhibit is VERY Padme heavy. I guess because its called the "Power of Costume" they decided that the Padme dresses were extremely important as they have a lot of sewing and design involved.

A little disappointing that there wasn't much in the way of props on display. A few prequel lightsabers, some costume pieces, droid parts, etc. No blasters (unless they were in holsters), no OT lighsabers, no Han in Carbonite (that kind of sucked to not see).

I think the Boba helmet on display is the Pre Pro 3 (?) It had 15 kill stripes.

Unfortunately you couldn't use a flash or light and it was fairly dim in places so not all of my pictures really came out the way I wanted them. I don't have a big fancy DSLR Mega Extreme 3000 camera. Just my trusty Sony Cybershot (which is nice in lit environments and with the flash, but in dim surroundings its hard to get a great picture).

Here are a few shots...
DSC02365.JPG

DSC02409.JPG
DSC02411.JPG
DSC02434.JPG

Not sure why, but it keeps double posting images when I upload them?

If anybody wants to see anything else let me know. I think I took a little over 1000 pics (unfortunately a lot of those are blurry due to the lighting issues)

Your pics you posted are very good for the lighting that they had available. I saw the same exhibit when it was in Denver in April. The tag at the foot of the Boba display said ROTJ, I even called the museum to verify that they would have the ROTJ Boba displayed before we went. I was surprised to see the ESB style helmet on him. I just assumed it was the helmet he wore during the barge scene, but I'm not up on the helmet differences enough to determine for sure. I saw the signs saying "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" my little Canon camera didn't do so good trying to take pics in the dim lighting either. I got the bright idea of using my little pocket flashlight to highlight the areas I was interested in when I took some pics. That didn't work to good either, I was scolded for using the flashlight, so like you I lost a good bit of the pics due to the dim light making them fuzzy. Is it still on display now?
I noticed when I saw the exhibit, that Boba's left gauntlet was broken up and looks like it's about ready fall apart. Maybe some of our experts on the site should volunteer to repair it for them? Wouldn't that look good on a resume? You would think that they would take a lot better care of this exhibit since it's so rare. I guess it's hard to find good help these days....

Its on display until Oct 1st. It goes to St Petersburg FL next.
I just wish the lighting had been a bit brighter. Also the lighting levels varied from display to display. Even the items in glass cases next to each other had different levels. I assume its to protect from fading.
I also noticed the plaque on Boba...
DSC01822.JPG

The lighting at many galleries I have been to is bright and level to allow proper viewing of works of art worth millions upon millions so whatever the reason for dim lighting it won't be to prevent fading. The lighting levels were similarly poor at the Star Wars Identities exhibition , where they did have the Jedi helmet. I did take my SLR but actually some of the better shots I got on my phone.

I'm looking forward to it being in Tampa in November! It'll be a short drive from me!

Also, you're correct the helmet seen is the PP3 and NOT the ESB Hero/SE.

I think the lighting is dim for effect. Obviously WE want to see everything in very bright lighting to take as detailed photos as possible, but they are targeting the general public and the softer light does have a more Star Wars "feel" and shows off the lightsabers and custom lighting sources built for the exhibit better.

I think the lighting is dim for effect. Obviously WE want to see everything in very bright lighting to take as detailed photos as possible, but they are targeting the general public and the softer light does have a more Star Wars "feel" and shows off the lightsabers and custom lighting sources built for the exhibit better.

Quite, and some of these items are not in great shape and decent lighting would literally highlight the many faults. Also, being cynical, I think there's more than a little aspect of wanting to maximise the sales of expensive coffee table books in play.

Here are a few pics I took, including the "2" I got off with flashlight spotting before getting scolded by the staff. Also pics of Boba's damaged left gaunt. On Boba's pics, I've post adjusted the light as much as possible to see detail a little better..

IMG_6429.JPG
IMG_6430.JPG
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6447.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG
IMG_6450.JPG

Did you take any photos of the Y wing helmets? I have been searching high and low for clear pictures of the greeblies for these helmets.

Is this an ongoing exhibit?

Last edited:
Here's what I got of the Y-wings. They were in a corner so you couldn't really get anything of the right side of them. Also once again due to lighting, not the greatest.
DSC02200.JPG
DSC02201.JPG
DSC02202.JPG
DSC02203.JPG

Did you take any photos of the Y wing helmets? I have been searching high and low for clear pictures of the greeblies for these helmets.

Is this an ongoing exhibit?

Also yes this is ongoing in Cincinnati through Oct 1st 2017. It next goes to St Petersburg FL Nov 11th 2017 - Apr 1st 2018. It doesn't look like the next city is booked yet, but this travels through 2019. Its already been to Seattle, New York, and Denver so I wouldn't bet on it being too close to any of those areas again.

Oh man those are good photos but they don't show the details on the greeblies enough to recreate them. I am in CA so a plane ticket to see them is not really going to work. But If anyone is going back to this I would gladly pay for the admission, gas, and some cash to get high res pics of these darn helmets.

Maybe in Florida the other side will be visible.

When I saw this exhibit, the next location they had on the schedule was Europe. I guess something fell through, I was really surprised to see this show up in Cincinnati !

I'm looking forward to it being in Tampa in November! It'll be a short drive from me!

Also, you're correct the helmet seen is the PP3 and NOT the ESB Hero/SE.

Do you think you might be able to get good high res pictures of the Y wing helmets and their greeblies?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back