FPH2 esb build

psych0ticmisfit

Active Hunter
Just received my FPH2 esb lid from wastedfett this morning.

Looks great!

Now to purchase my paints and start this build.

Pictures below straight from the box.

Do they always come pre trimmed and visor cut out?

194E429A-A588-4F1D-A490-2A04BA3105A6.jpeg
579330E7-7916-4E29-9AB1-9F70D0350AC0.jpeg
FEF0AE9F-A221-446F-B4E0-6EA22FD7EBEE.jpeg

F682A64D-6704-41B7-B8EF-63AD2041890F.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd put my money on a custom order that got canceled or something.

Don't worry though, you'll still get to have the super fun time of cutting out the rear keyholes!

Placed my order for the Humbrol paints. I tried locating floquil concrete. But no luck. I even checked with some old hobby shops around me. Some of them had a few old stock of floquil. But no colors I needed.

Now to wait for them to ship.

Should I use Humbrol maskol or is there a better option?

Placed my order for the Humbrol paints. I tried locating floquil concrete. But no luck. I even checked with some old hobby shops around me. Some of them had a few old stock of floquil. But no colors I needed.

Now to wait for them to ship.

Should I use Humbrol maskol or is there a better option?
I used the Humbrol maskol and it is amazing. Get 2 bottles of it.

For the "concrete" color, I copied from Terminal Fettler's paint up thread: beige 28 (mist with beige 103). Definitely not an exact science, but you'll know when it's about the right color based on reference pics.

I got the key slots cut out. A piece of gel coat popped off. So I’ll need to fill that. The helmet has been sanded and ears sanded. Did a test fit of the range finder and stalk. Also noticed a crack on the left mandible in the corner. Kind of like the real esb helmet. Disappointed, but it should be fine. I hope.

Now just waiting on my paints and I need to find a place that sells the maskol. I tried ordering stuff directly from Humbrol and their site wouldn’t process my card. Anyone recommend an online retailer that has maskol?

7322933F-17EE-429A-B6F5-E5D5FBD73764.jpeg

Last edited:
Light Sea Gray looks pretty good, I might want just a teeny smidgin more tan in it, but tbh, the concrete color has a lot of forgiveness to it, there's quite a wide range of shades people use.

As for maskol, other artistic liquid masks will work fine too, maskol just has the advantage of it's contrasting purple color, but you can tint any of them yourself by just adding acrylic paint. I actually just buy pints of liquid latex and color it myself, though sometimes it's still good to keep a bottle of the specialty artist's stuff around too as they're a little more delicate and (i think) have reduced surface tension additives.

Tonight I got the range finder ear caps fitted with magnets. I found some tiny cheap magnets at hobby lobby. Worked great. However, I would recommend stronger magnets if you plan on doing this to a helmet you are going to troop in. Mine will be mainly for display.

Next I need to pick up screws and nuts to get the ears attached to the helmet. Hopefully by then my paints will be in hand.

F24D0533-0155-4C86-8C3E-30EC6FB86E89.jpeg

I just bought my maskol from amazon, although there's probably better deals out there. The price on amazon probably fluctuates too.

I was under the impression that the concrete flat was acrylic. I was trying to stick with enamels.

According to everything I’ve read. The concrete flat equivalent in enamel is supposed to be the light sea gray.

If you're looking for a replacement for concrete, just get Testors Concrete Flat...

Yeah, I saw it on amazon but the price was almost double what humbrolsnown site charged. I could be wrong though.

I just bought my maskol from amazon, although there's probably better deals out there. The price on amazon probably fluctuates too.

Last edited:
I was able to get the ears installed. Looks great. Love this thing.

Cannot wait to paint it.

Any tips on repairing cracks at the corner of the mandibles? Or will it be fine once the visor is installed?

7542E1E9-CEF0-45BE-9F30-D6A94FF77FCF.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back