APPROVED! Evan1701's ESB Boba Fett WIP (BH-81989)

Ammo belt came in today, a very nice delta13Mike so all the pouches are functional! The're tiny so I don't know what I'll put in there, maybe trading cards or batteries.

Syc3ogtl.jpg

Not yet, I had to take a break after I finished my helmet because I thought I might melt into an exhausted pile of goo. I'm planning on possibly hitting it with some Bondo this week to fill all the pin holes and whatnot, then painting it while the weather stays in the 50s. I bought a can of the ruddy brown primer that I've seen mentioned, and I'll spray Humbrol silver 11 after that (or maybe use some rub n buff since it has a nice natural metallic look to it)

I'm getting DVH to go ahead and paint my jetpack, so that's a huge load off my mind. I mostly just need to build and paint the gaunts and armor as the major part of my work that still needs to be done.

Cool. I was wondering what colors you were going to go with. I had read both Humbrol 100 and Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer. I was leaning toward the Ruddy Brown myself, it seems like the better choice.

Many have asked... Evan... where have you been? Where are the updates I want... nay, NEED?

Well, folks, here I am. The long awaited updated.

We hosted an armor party yesterday, and I was able to break out the sidearm and the armor and get to work. Between yesterday and today, I was able to finishing trimming all of the unfinished armor pieces, and I sanded and completely prepped the rest of the painted armor. The armor was incorrectly painted ROTJ style by a TDH member, and I got it for a steal.

For the unfinished black pieces, I used 120 grit sandpaper to get all of the nasty jagged edges off, then passed some 400 grit over it to smooth out all of the edges so they don't get snagged on any fabric.

For the painted pieces, I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out anywhere where the layering was visible. Once you couldn't feel the layers, I sanded the whole piece with 400 grit sandpaper so that it was perfectly uniform and smooth (but not too smooth- gotta have just the slightest bit of roughness for the paint to stick to!)

pPyubgGl.jpg

For the sidearm, a fellow Serenno member and I had cut all of the nasty flashing off at the end of last year. This weekend, I bondo'd and sanded the whole thing, then rattlecanned it with the gorgeous screen-accurate "Ruddy Brown" primer that was NOT CHEAP ($14 for a can). To get the metallic look, instead of airbrushing the rest of it silver, I used some silver leaf Rub 'n Buff I had leftover from some Jango Fett Westar-34s I was playing around with early last year.

gFExh9Zl.jpg

8oeppA9l.jpg

Since it's Fett, everything needs a nice layer of dirt on it, so I plan on lightly misting it with my airbrush eventually to get some generic weathering. Probably going to go with a little black. For now, I'm leaving it as-is because I still have a lot of work ahead of me with my armor and the gaunts.

I've been diving back into Fett slowly over the past few months. The weather has been horrible for painting, so I've had big breaks between painting sessions.

I struggled hardcore with the knees, the paint would wrinkle really badly all over the surface. After painting and sanding it back down several times, I finally was able to prime them today with no issues.

nhpM4xLl.jpg

I also got the silver down on everything (except the knees) a few weeks ago, with an extra coat on some problem pieces today.

W4pvS2Bl.jpg

7S0Qkcil.jpg

Today I got around to masking, and got the collar, LH chest, RH chest, and diamond masked up.

I6yPIxRl.jpg

us2C3qil.jpg

D0O9iqMl.jpg

Throughout the week, I want to try and mask up the silver on all the other pieces. It's definitely no quick thing. Thankfully I have until the end of April, my Fett debut will be April 28th (which is our next troop- this year has been a wasteland of no troops in the area)

Some more progress this week, which finishes off the silver masking for the armor pieces I didn't screw up. I still need to wet sand and paint the knees (they were a disaster to paint), and the back needs some TLC. For some reason the paint dried really gritty and weird, I think because I went way too light with it, so I'm going to hit it with some wire wool to take it down and do some thick coats.

weW3Qvzl.jpg

Qrjo8xbl.jpg

ZSyGQtEl.jpg

jYeKYSPl.jpg

nUlR8qml.jpg

This weekend is an armor party, where I plan to build my jetpack harness and maybe do the sanding I mentioned. I also want to try and complete the silver painting I still need to do on Sunday, and maybe mask up the silver on the gauntlets.

Awesome armor party today where I got my jetpack harness basically finished, minus the two pieces that actually hold the upper portion of the jetpack. Before attaching those, we are going to wait until I get the jetpack to be sure they are well positioned.

Waist strap is a little tight. Need to lose some pounds. Trying to get down to 200 by the time I'm done with Fett completely.

oKEAlNul.jpg

FAcWRuZl.jpg

We used a combination of snaps and rivets to connect everything. It took a while, but ended up being SUPER strong. I had a couple people haul me around the yard by it...

YJRve61l.jpg

We also replaced the shade 3 visor with a shade 5 visor. Not much difference externally, except now there is no way it's possible to see in. (and my wonderful supportive and fellow Mandalorian wife, Heather BH-50507)

IcQKRGIl.jpg

And last but not least... you think this is approvable?

vGYdRzal.jpg

More armor paint updates tomorrow. Probably. :)

Dude you made that harness? Looks pro.
I mostly directed. I have a squad mate who loves all things tools, so I showed him a picture of how someone else put theirs together with rivets and he went to town. It ended up being amazing. I had planned to do it, but he was... Insistent.

As an aside, I didn't use the US Divers buckle and used a modern plastic buckle instead, because it's hidden under the flak vest. This thing can be as ugly as humanly possible and it won't matter, as long as it works!

So after my crappy $35 airbrush crapped out this past weekend, I went ahead and got the Iwata Eclipse. Not cheap at $140, but I tested it out tonight and it was so worth it.

I wish I wouldn't have tried to do full coverage coats with this crappy ye78llow, but I did because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. If it was the final coat it would look like trash, but thankfully it's not!

htf6Rgal.jpg

Then I spent the rest of the night finishing up the silver masking on the armor.

KA4vcOnl.jpg

ajYAHOil.jpg

bgpcLNGl.jpg

Tomorrow I want to put the green 78 down on the RH chest piece, diamond, back plate, and collar. If I have time after that, I want to hit the shoulders and knees with the yellow damage (yellow 74).

Spent about 2 hours tonight painting. This new airbrush is amazing. Other than the diamond, the green will be masked up to prepare for the final "mix green" coat of a 1:1 mixture of green 78 and green 76. I would love to get ALL of the masking done on every armor piece this weekend. At the very least, by next weekend I'll be done with the armor and moving on to the gauntlets.

I almost did the whole back piece green, but I realized I'd be out there all night so I just did the areas it'll be masked up and the area around the neck and shoulders, just to give the final coat a little more distance from that sparkly silver. It shows through really easily.

KFP9kc6l.jpg

I did do all the shoulders and knees yellow 74, it only peeks through right around the silver but I wanted to practice a little with the airbrush. Also, since the final coats are yellow-y, and the silver shows through the yellow big time, I did like I did with the back piece and painted everything to keep that final color nice and yellow/orange-y.

7O4BkPTl.jpg

Alright folks, so between yesterday and today I was able to put on the final layer of paint on all the armor, minus weathering and decals of course!

Yesterday was soooo long. I spent 4 hours masking, followed by 4 hours of painting.

Ks5K1mOl.jpg

AkSSbtRl.jpg

OGN7bzMl.jpg

UsHTOjil.jpg

dR6xRz5l.jpg

pSyi8Fwl.jpg

The shoulders and knees is sort of an in-between layer that is this milky yellow color directly around the silver damage and that's it.

w1f4oWol.jpg

ZRQ6CTTl.jpg

g17LahEl.jpg

wNDYFjMl.jpg

Here is the base yellow on the shoulders and knees that I finished yesterday:

iXJ0Bg6l.jpg

Then today I did another layer of the main green along with the orange misting. Folks, I promise I really tried to capture the different shades of orange that the shoulder and both knees have, but it just all ended up looking the same. I don't think I'll be able to get it any better so I'll probably just call it done.

FtLXZAKl.jpg

dJzzBwNl.jpg

Tomorrow, I'm going to do all of the weathering, apply the decals, and call the armor done!

Thanks guys :D I'm so excited. I'm going to unmask all the body armor today during my lunch break, the shoulders and knees I will leave the masking on. Then tonight I'll apply the decals and do some generic black/grimy weathering to the body armor, the big "swooshes" of heavy weathering to the shoulders and knees, and some additional grimy-ness to them after that. Tomorrow I'll hand-paint the collar/cod studs and the knee darts and install them. The knees will be tricky since they have that foam backing (RKD knees).

Wow, today was very productive! I took all the masking off during my lunch break, then hit all the transition edges between paint colors with 0000 steel wool. Here's a picture from right after I got the last bit of masking off:

0RRjEpbl.jpg

A good chunk of the cod ended up a weird gritty finish, I think because one of my coats (I'm gonna blame the silver) was sprayed from too far away and began to dry before it hit the surface. Oh well, Fett is weathered to crap- THANK GOD! If you look past the sheer amount of painting required, Fett is honestly great for beginners. Everything is matte so you can get a really crappy finish and have it look amazing after weathering, there are tons of colors playing off each other so if you get a weird coat (like the freakin yellow- what a pain) there's so much going on no one will ever notice.

Anyway, on to the fun stuff!

So the decals were terrifying, but they went on amazing. Thanks to Lucksy31.

tpFRe5ol.jpg

l4UTjHol.jpg

So I've seen so many different ways to do weathering. RafalFett's templates have you using gray 79 on one shoulder and red 132 + gray 79 on the other and the knees. Well, after poring over picture after picture, I decided it all really just looks like black weathering in various amounts of lightness. So that's what I did, for everything. Black 33. I did heavy areas for scorch marks and the big weathering areas on the shoulders and knees, and then a fine grimy layer over every pieces to make it... ya know... FETT!!!!

PQJ9Jv7l.jpg

vExOr12l.jpg

I still have yet to peel the masking off the knees and shoulders since most pictures have the masked areas weathering-free. That's tomorrow's job.

Qi1Tqcfl.jpg

So after I get the rest of the masking off, I'll be hand-painting the darts and studs per the ref pics/CRL and installing them. I'm a little nervous to install the knee darts, since they are RKD knees and have a big block of foam I need to cut into. Gonna figure it out as I go I guess.

Till tomorrow!

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back