APPROVED! Evan1701's ESB Boba Fett WIP (BH-81989)

Some of the 4th edition stuff is super fun. I mean who doesn't like land tax? I hardly play anymore but sometimes I just really get the urge so I can't bring myself to part with them. You're right though it is a massive hassle to get rid of the card individually and what you normally run into is no one wants to pay for the commons so you have to sell them is big groups of "random" cards just to move them.

Some of the 4th edition stuff is super fun. I mean who doesn't like land tax? I hardly play anymore but sometimes I just really get the urge so I can't bring myself to part with them. You're right though it is a massive hassle to get rid of the card individually and what you normally run into is no one wants to pay for the commons so you have to sell them is big groups of "random" cards just to move them.
Yup that's what I had to do. Rather than trying to compare what I made on it years ago when I bought it and feeling like I was losing out, I have to think of it as cardboard that was sitting in a box gathering dust that I was able to miraculously turn into 150 bucks! Add to that the fun I had playing while I was in college, and I feel a-okay with walking away with a little bit of cash at the end of it all.

I feel you man on the recognizable... I first made a Darth Revan so props on the nihilus. People recognize it sometimes but not a lot. Then I made a shoretrooper and it still wasn't recognized often. Then I made a snowtrooper and finally found my place there but had always loved Fett since I was a little kid so decided to sell off the shoretrooper and start work on Fett.

So just a quick update, helmet should be here sometime next week I'm thinking, same as the EE-3. Very excited. My plan is to finish the helmet entirely by Halloween, since I would like to wear it to work with a suit and have a little fun.

I am beyond excited to start painting. I've been watching the welshwarrior video series on Youtube, and I am planning on using this thread for my paint list, plus it has some absolutely incredible high-detail shots of the helmet. Those detail shots will help me with the weathering the most, I think.

Link to video series: How to paint a Boba Fett helmet - YouTube (this is amazing for newbies like me who have literally never picked up a paint brush, much less an airbrush)

Link to paint-up thread: *UPDATE-COMPLETE 5/3/12:Jayvee's deluxe ESB paint up (with an awesome BGHunter lid..)

As for tools, I have a dremel and some paint brushes. I will need a lot more stuff including sand paper and needle files. I also need some stands that I can use while painting the helmet. I plan to collect everything I need this weekend and start prep work right away. I'm also borrowing my dad's air compressor and I am buying a nice double-action airbrush from Amazon. I have my shopping card on Amazon and Humbrol full of paint and airbrush stuff, so hopefully by the week of 9/11 I'll be ready to get down to business!!!

So I'm still on the war path to gathering information before my helmet arrives. Should be here any day now. My question for you all is, if I choose to do decals for the kill stripes and the ears, how do you trim them so that they match up properly with a layered paint job? Are there any good tutorials on how to do that? Some of the most difficult parts from the welshwarrior videos look to be the kill stripes and the ears, so that's why I'm thinking decals. I also have occasional hand twitches that keep me from being to paint a straight line.

So I'm still on the war path to gathering information before my helmet arrives. Should be here any day now. My question for you all is, if I choose to do decals for the kill stripes and the ears, how do you trim them so that they match up properly with a layered paint job? Are there any good tutorials on how to do that? Some of the most difficult parts from the welshwarrior videos look to be the kill stripes and the ears, so that's why I'm thinking decals. I also have occasional hand twitches that keep me from being to paint a straight line.
You could as easily try taping out the killstripes and cut a bend in the tape for the white curve on the left ear. Whether airbrush or hand painting you can't mess it up.

You could as easily try taping out the killstripes and cut a bend in the tape for the white curve on the left ear. Whether airbrush or hand painting you can't mess it up.
Yeah, welshwarrior hand-painted everything in his videos. It definitely doesn't look impossible, and I think I could do it and make it look okay, I was just thinking decals might take "okay" and make it "great". I'm especially worried about not sizing all of the killstripes the same. The only caveat would be if I could find a nice 1:1 stencil I could print out and cut up rather than taping up each individual kill stripe. I could potentially use Rafalfett's helmet details/stencils/whatever you call them.

Yeah, welshwarrior hand-painted everything in his videos. It definitely doesn't look impossible, and I think I could do it and make it look okay, I was just thinking decals might take "okay" and make it "great". I'm especially worried about not sizing all of the killstripes the same. The only caveat would be if I could find a nice 1:1 stencil I could print out and cut up rather than taping up each individual kill stripe. I could potentially use Rafalfett's helmet details/stencils/whatever you call them.

Yes, use RafalFett's stencils. Without those, it would be impossible for us to paint these helmets with as much detail as there is. Amazing resource, really.

Yes, use RafalFett's stencils. Without those, it would be impossible for us to paint these helmets with as much detail as there is. Amazing resource, really.
I had definitely planned to use his templates. I was just a little confused since welshwarrior free-handed the kill stripes and all of the ear details only using reference photos. I don't trust myself to do any freehanding, at all, anywhere! I am really good at tracing tiny details, though, since I spent a good 10 years making dozens and dozens of fantasy maps with very intricately designed coastlines.

I had definitely planned to use his templates. I was just a little confused since welshwarrior free-handed the kill stripes and all of the ear details only using reference photos. I don't trust myself to do any freehanding, at all, anywhere! I am really good at tracing tiny details, though, since I spent a good 10 years making dozens and dozens of fantasy maps with very intricately designed coastlines.

Free handing can be tricky. I'd definitely go with taping out those detail areas based on RafalFett's templates and you should be set! Also consider getting some finer tape than regular painters tape since that stuff can sometimes tear up many a beautiful paint job :(

So question for you excellent painters out there. I'm not sure if I should be buying my paints based on this thread:

*UPDATE-COMPLETE 5/3/12:Jayvee's deluxe ESB paint up (with an awesome BGHunter lid..)

or this thread:

"Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

I have yet to find another thread that lists out the individual paints as well as these two do. I would like to follow thread #2 down to the letter, I function much better with a strict list rather than a "mix a few colors and see what happens". Thread #1 is a little loosey-goosey for my tastes but the list is very nicely laid out.

Today has been a very rough day for me and the rest of the folks in Garrison Tyranus Serenno Squad. We lost a beloved member today. My wife (Heather BH-50507) and I have been in tears most of the night. I've decided I'm dedicating every single piece of this costume to Ryan Hubbard, TK-91185.

First piece finally came in today- the EE-3. Hoping the helmet will be here this week, I'm hosting an armor party Saturday and I'm hoping to at least get the visor cut out and ears installed. Adding the first coat of paint would be a plus.

21616165_10156138410334769_2457790762954042741_n.jpg

POW POW! Real Heiland flash as well, looks amazing. So light and flexible. I've seen the way kids act at troops, so I wanted to get one that would take a beating.

Helmet arrived yesterday! We're going to start working on it at the armor party this weekend. Hopefully we'll get all the assembly and prepwork out of the way so I can start laying on paint next week, or whenever it comes in!

gzjytmEl.jpg

Han9H3Cl.jpg

Who's the maker of that helmet?
DVH, I absolutely love it. It is from his newer mold, so V2 I guess. It seems like every single detail, even the imperfections, were included from the original ESB helmet- brow wave, cheek flare, etc. The damage and MQ-1 are molded in, there are already divets marked out for the bolt holes, and the ear cap has magnets installed.

My DVH V3 jetpack should be here sometime in the next week or 2 as well, not that I'll have any time to build it!

Got a lot done today. Still feel like I'm fumbling in the dark a little bit. I feel like I want to wait and paint the Borden separately and attach it later, I drilled out the hole for it and it sits in there nicely. I think it would be a huge pain to mask around. Same for the ears. I drilled out all the holes but I need more countersunk screws to attach everything nicely. I figure the holes are there, I'll worry about that later.

So in total today at my armor party, I washed the helmet, cut out the visor and sanded the cut-out area down, took out areas of build-up along the brow and inside the MQ-1, cut the visor down (it's one of the cheap $13 replacements from Amazon) and fit it for later installation, and sanded down all of the ears and rangefinder pieces. The ear and rangefinder pieces need a good healthy dose of bondo, but the helmet just has small air bubbles here and there that I'm going to let the paint cover up.

Here's what I ended up with. Doesn't look like much, but I spent several hours getting to this point... I am very deliberate with everything I do, which my wife hates. Means it takes me 10 times longer to do something because I have to lay out a perfect course of action before hand, foreseeing every obstacle, and then executing at the highest possible level with no errors.

21740477_10156157914014769_8906756864223834197_n.jpg

Tomorrow, the fun stuff begins. I'm going to sand down the whole helmet and prime the outside and inside. I might do the bondo work I need to on the ear and rangefinder pieces as well.

Going to move this party over to the helmet section of the forums, here: Evan1701's Newbie ESB Fett Helmet Paint-Up

Once the helmet is complete, I'll head back over here and keep on rocking. My jetpack should be here soon, so that should keep me busy for several weeks afterwards. Once I get some more money I'll probably buy either the armor or the soft parts. Gotta get that savings account built back up from summer vacation first!

All your definitive color guides are here...

Boba Fett Helmet Consolidated Paint Up Threads

My experience is that Tamiya rattlecans put out a lot of paint really quickly. I used Tamiya silver for the base layer on a couple of my helmets and it came out great. I think anything after that you'd run the risk of putting too thick of a layer down and having it glop up or drip. Then if you're going for accuracy, you're talking about mixing some colors which is a completely different nightmare.

Personally, I got by with this setup for years without a hitch. Also, airbrushing is a pretty useful skill it turns out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010...s=Airbrush&dpPl=1&dpID=613ubPy3gaL&ref=plSrch
Hope this helps. Cheers.

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back