Flight Suit Dyeing a white boiler suit ROTJ

runFettBoyRun

Jr Hunter
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of dyeing a 65%/35% poly/cotton mix overall/boiler suit?

I thinking of using a pack of idye natural for the cotton and idye poly for the polyester part. Both the same colour - silver grey.

Any tips / advice?

Thanks in advance,

That may work. Polyester is usually the problem so I would concentrate on getting that part of it right. The poly dye may take care of the cotton too.

I might just go with the poly dye first and see how it looks. You can always add the cotton dye in a second step. I have no idea how they may react if you try to do them at the same time.

@runFettBoyRun I actually just dyed a Under Armor balcava hood. The material was a mix of polyester and spandex and came in a desert sand color. I just dyed grey with Rit Dye with success. Remember before dying to use salt or dishwasing soap to activate the fibers to absorb the dye. Start off with a moderate amount of dye and check it often. The longer it stays in the dye mix, the more color is will absorb into the fabric. If you start off with too much, it might soak up the color to fast and then you are stuck with a dark shade than you want. You can always add more dye if it is to light. Here is link of instructions:
How to Dye Polyester - wikiHow

Best of Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Mullreel - I've found a youtube video of a guy dyeing 50/50 and he uses both types of dye at the same time but I like your idea of doing one first - thanks. @TAguirre - Yes I've ordered the dye salt as well. Thanks for the link - great article on dyeing.

The suit has internal pockets so I'll take those out and use them as test pieces to make it doesn't come out too dark. Pictures to follow!

If it works I'll dye the gloves and my running shoes too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever tried to spray one with enamel using an air brush?? Sounds crazy but I have painted material in the past like this and it worked fine; didn't even make the cloth go hard or nothing?

I dyed an assault vest and the stuff I used had to brushed on, ironed and washed. It was called Dylon Fabric Paint and I bought it on Amazon. I got a reasonable result although it would end up taking a few coats to get what I wanted. Also the paint is designed to keep the fabric soft once applied. Keep in mind though that the material of the vest it quite thick and tough so would probably get a better result on a flight suit

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back