APPROVED UPDATE: DeathJedi's ESB build and WIP

DeathJedi

Hunter
Hello everyone,
I've been looking forward to starting my build, whether that means buying used stuff in good condition, stuff that's new, stuff I have to put together and paint. I just needed to get into it. I hit some discouragement in the local information department but luckily I've reached out to several people here who have been helpful.

So the first item I bought was a helmet that a chap had done by Uhbif but decided he could no longer work on his build and re-sold it.

A guy's gotta start somewhere.
image1.JPG

Last edited:
I also recently acquired a MoW jumpsuit, white and un-dyed. I was going to go with someone established on here, but I figured I'd try my hand at dyeing the thing myself. My only experience has been dyeing monks cloth for Jawa robes, which turned out pretty decent, in my opinion. I've seen several threads, but for some reason it looks like a lot of links are broken. I think they're old, and maybe server change overs, I dunno. But anyway, for and ESB jumpsuit, any thoughts or experience in what has worked would be welcome. I've only used one color, and it was the powder. Never used liquid let alone mixing colors. Attached is what I have to work with.
image2.JPG

Last edited:
Put some hinges on the gauntlets and did a primer gray base. Rattle can painted silver after that. I have used a masking fluid in areas where I want the weathering to show. I’ve experimented with my airbrush on pieces of bent and curved ABS as I have no prior experience. I think I’m getting the technique, but there is no way to know until I actually do it. Wish me luck, anyone who’s out there listening.
33266B8A-B835-4F25-B9AA-1365603AD232.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had a hard time getting used to airbrushing, I'm slowly learning that cleaning it after every paint change is absolutely necessary. I tried running water through it to break loose any clumps, but since I'm using enamel paint I need to use thinner instead to really clean it.

You'll also learn about how far away you want to nozzle when spraying to avoid runs. I've had to wipe off a bit from almost every coat I've done because the nozzle was too close. All you can do is just do it and see what happens, and what works for you and what doesn't work for you.

Thanks Evan. I know what you mean. I’ve spent a lot of time picking the brains of my local hobby shop guys and watching YouTube videos. Cleaning is an absolute must! I did break out my airbrush today. First with my blend of green that is a close match to some armor and jet pack I picked up recently. These are no where near done, but I did some black weathering to try to give the gauntlets a gritty look.

I still have some attached parts to tape and paint individually, but that might have to wait for the weekend. I pulled the masking off. I didn’t buff it yet, I want to check in natural light, but so far I actually think it looks ok. Maybe hit it with some 0000 steel wool. I need practice on doing that still,
but these obviously wont be for that.

8A61CB06-8E9D-4BE9-BB75-3BBCEBB34D4F.jpeg 03299D0F-1A08-430A-BF50-87280391138F.jpeg 5CFDDE56-01F5-49DC-93CC-A70A1DAF01C4.jpeg B29B8D5E-A16B-44F2-8753-54DB7A8DE66A.jpeg B67B559A-BEAD-4DC7-9ADF-3C266B328CA8.jpeg

So, after a couple of dye bathes with test cloth I finally came up with something I thought would work. Apparently I started with way too much blue. Here are the samples:

EABD46E1-A67B-4CE5-A8A6-C90BF18F9C2F.jpeg
So here is my MoW jumpsuit, untouched. Also after the dye bath while it’s wet, which looked too blue still however after a rinse, turned out well, I think.

B3CC4A47-F791-4FED-8211-9E416384C708.jpeg 7315EA84-6EDD-4D74-834D-BF39A3A4BE2E.jpeg C9A70767-84CC-47E8-9512-93EFC16B9218.jpeg 6CDE01DB-8232-4EB9-AA85-C5C9C5EB6B73.jpeg 39118107-35F1-41EB-B277-24B3E06A60FB.jpeg

The sun and being wet brought out the blue a little too much to my camera phone, it didn’t look as blue to the eye. Inside is a better representation, which are the last 3 pics.

Another evening of painting. I added some black to the gauntlets as needed. The splotchiness that showed last night faded and looks much better today.
4D3C98EF-5998-460C-B1FE-A283460109B2.jpeg DB2FEC04-5424-4ECE-A35D-A2BF3E397980.jpeg
Switching between airbrush and hand painting as needed. Most of this was from an all aluminum kit. Lots of paint and expirementing. For the most part, I’m Ok with how it turned out.
I need some copper paint to finish it out. I plan on picking up some tomorrow at the hobby store. I made a small batch for one piece, and for a small detailed part it’s ok, but I wouldn’t use it on a larger piece.
42EC5F8D-816F-4C21-985D-F7ECD1089547.jpeg 80DC5C11-4D15-4B01-8C3C-197FB3D4BCD9.jpeg

The gaunts and all the greeblies for them look amazing! Did you hand paint all of the greeblies, or was any of it airbrushed? Also, who's gauntlet kit did you buy? I'm still researching where I should get mine.

Thanks!!! The gauntlets are MoW. The metal parts for the flame thrower came with it from the person I bought it from, and not sure who did it. It also might be MoW, but don’t quote me on that. It was all raw and unfinished. I airbrushed almost everything. My brush clogged and did a couple parts in red with a small paint brush. The buttons on the calculator part are also hand painted. I used acrylic airbrush paint, but did something like a “dry brushing” job since the paint is a little thick unless you thin it down.

I've heard great things about MoW. I know a couple other people are starting to offer gaunts as well, DVH and Wasted Fett in particular.

I've heard great things about MoW. I know a couple other people are starting to offer gaunts as well, DVH and Wasted Fett in particular.

I ended up with quite a bit of MoW pieces. Gauntlets, boots and jumpsuit. All were unfinished and new when I got them. I kind of found myself in what I consider a fortunate situation. A guy had stuff that he didn’t finish, but some things are and some things are in between. I don’t mind doing the work, but some detailing I don’t have the ability yet, such as painting a helmet. I’ve spoken with DVH about helmets and he’s been a great wealth of info and I like Wasted Fett’s armor. If I didn’t end up getting some that has already been painted I would have went up with those guys respectively for those items.

Okay! Black painted on. Greeblies and flamethrower attached. Got all the paint I needed today. Thoughts?
BF48C595-02D9-4FA0-BEE1-A1DE76E0DECC.jpeg 82A8A6DD-EFF6-49C2-9B05-46229984C810.jpeg

It’s hinged on the interior side and set right but when closing it’s a bit off center. ANYONE have any thoughts on closing and using something to pull it straight at the same time? Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

A little afterthought and adjustment, I think I got it and the magnets that I plan on using to keep it closed should align things up nicely.

Last edited:
Ok Fett-fans! I took a huge step for me. I decided to take a couple hours and tackle the boots today. My airbrushing started with my Fett project, specifically the gauntlets. Fabric seemed somehow more daunting.

MoW boots with spikes. Here is what I started with:
05679819-4677-48AC-9DC6-3243D69BAF92.jpeg
I decided to start with the black center and tape things off. Looking back I probably didn’t need to, but I wanted to be as careful as possible.
9176FBB9-6B0F-44C1-A097-9FBEE25EEE2A.jpeg 42B9696F-6BB9-444C-ABC2-19B6FEC99085.jpeg
I then did the gray and tried to vary darkness around the areas to show some weathering.
2C1AB2BA-92D9-429E-8B42-2EC20B61EA05.jpeg
Add some toe spikes and here is where I am:
648DC895-0B0D-453F-AA32-7E9773D3AE55.jpeg 6C9CF218-8236-4E1D-A91A-8A6E8102966C.jpeg

The gauntlets will be on hold until my pack of rare earth magnets come in and I can fabricate some pieces to clasp together on the interiors. Can’t wait for those to be done, but I am pretty happy with the boots and the progress made today!

I haven’t had a lot of time to do a lot lately, but finally started setting the RE magnets to close the gauntlets. I put a little padding in so it wouldn’t slide. I think I’ve got things set well but will need to adjust when the jumpsuit is on. I think I’m just about finished with this gauntlet. I’m still setting magnets on the other one and still need to put on the attachments.
C526B013-FFB9-4187-ABC3-0EE98D2715F2.jpeg C065109E-6ECE-4476-9A30-472511412A0D.jpeg 4F578B83-0606-4130-87FA-58C1858EEF66.jpeg

Evan and DJ, I've bought items from both Wasted Fett and DVH. Both make excellent, great quality pieces. Can't say enough about how
great of a job these guys do for the community !!
DJ your build is coming along great. I really like the boots and gaunts too. Keep up the good work man...

Thanks! I have the clips and hose for the gauntlet but haven’t had a chance to put it together yet. Maybe some time this week. I’d also like to weather my jumpsuit if time allows. I felt like I was on a roll but stuck in the mud now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back