Creating 3D Gauntlets based on Cevantes Boba Fett Gauntlets

Deja Fett

New Hunter
First, huge thanks Rafal Fett. His work and effort is insane, super appreciated and without what he does, it wouldn't have led me to this. With that being said. You literally can download and print every single hard part of Boba's costume. Apparently though the gauntlets are the one thing that don't really exist. I mean Im sure they do, but after searching on here and also finding that others were asking the same thing, I tried to locate some decent 3d files for the Gauntlets. Didn't really find any. Ive been designing a costume female mandalorian costume in Fusion 360 and decided to give that a break and see if I could create some ROTJ gauntlets. And what better place to start then using the Cevantes Gauntlets as reference and a staring point.

Based on the measurements of these I started to build them in Fusion 360. After I had a very good start on the left gauntlet I found a picture of the ROTJ gauntlet that I found here in one of the galleries. The picture was taken almost directly above the gauntlet. Not sure which exhibit the costume was from but its obvious the real deal. So I took that picture and wanted to see if it would line up with what I had created based of these gauntlets and the measurements. The results are well.... pretty dead on. Its actually kind of insane. I was only working from a front and side view. The first time I used TOP view was when I inserted the picture and it lined up almost perfect. Figured some of you would find this interesting.

Well done! Yeah there is a direct relationship between the vacuform type and the fiberglass ROTJ gauntlet so I'm not surprised it lines up well.

Thanks. Not that I doubted it but its one thing to read it and another to see it with your own eyes. Super cool. Also, a testament to the insanely accurate work and time the Rafal Fett puts into this community, I took his 3D Print ready models of the gauntlet rocket and flame thrower (in purple) and placed them into this model.... DEAD ON! So impressed with the attention to detail. 1:1. No scaling of any kind. Just imported them as a mesh and they literally line up to picture as well as my model. Nice to see this all coming together.
Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 5.10.47 PM.png

You have a great start with the gauntlet model! Try to use as many reference images from the Gallery or other sources from different angles, this way you will know each and every piece even in your sleep. Also keep in mind that the Cevantes right gauntlets are valid for every type of costumes (except the whipcord housing):
All Right Gauntlets.jpg

The left gauntlets are valid only for the Supertrooper, Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB suits. The Pre-Pro #2 and ESB Promo suits used the same molds, but with slight differences; the ROTJ gauntlets also have slight differences (as Keegan already said):
All Left Gauntlets.jpg
ESB And PP2 Gauntlet Compare.jpg
PP1 ROTJ Left Gauntlet.jpg

You have a great start with the gauntlet model! Try to use as many reference images from the Gallery or other sources from different angles, this way you will know each and every piece even in your sleep. Also keep in mind that the Cevantes right gauntlets are valid for every type of costumes (except the whipcord housing):
View attachment 162715

The left gauntlets are valid only for the Supertrooper, Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB suits. The Pre-Pro #2 and ESB Promo suits used the same molds, but with slight differences; the ROTJ gauntlets also have slight differences (as Keegan already said):
View attachment 162714 View attachment 162716 View attachment 162717

Thanks man. Those are super useful. Not that I haven’t seen those but the amount of pictures and info is overwhelming at times so to any and all that interject it’s super appreciated. I’m solely forcused on ROTJ Left gauntlet at the moment, lol, and definitely using and looking at every reference photo I can find of the left one ROTJ, especially the under side of the bottom clam shell and how it la shaped at the front and back. Tough angle to find for sure. So far I’ve completely stayed away from look at pictures from any and all ROTJ gauntlets that are available for purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I know how amazing some of them are out there but feel like for the mean time stick to the actual costume for reference is the way to go. Maybe I’m wrong. Just my thought process on it so far.

The support, knowledge and passion of this group is second to none. I built my first ROTJ Fett costume in 1998 and tracking down info and reference photos was incredibly hard. And seeing over the years what precision some people are capable of when it comes to this character is truly amazing. Just the thought of being able to contribute back something to this group for all it’s done for me would be amazing. So I welcome all help/info/suggestions.

MTFBWY.

Nice! Remember that the ROTJ left gauntlet top is different from the ESB/pre-pro ones. the side where the flamer mounts is more vertical to accomodate the ROTJ box style flamer..this makes the top area (meaning when looking at it from above) wider towards the back. If you look at them from the back, the flamer side is more straight up on the ROTJ as opposed to the ESB where it taper as it goes upwards. This maintains the same width where it attaches to the bottom half. the Opening width on the bottom is the same on both ESB and ROTJ. If you look at the front shot of the left Cervantes gauntlet, you can see how it flares out towards the bottom. ROTJ doesnt do that. The Cevantes ones Art posted are a match for Pre-pro and ESB.

You can see what i mean here..this is my 99% done ESB sculpt (the only top shot i could find quickly lol) and the MOM ROTJ. Although the angle is ever so slightly different, you can see where the flamer attaches is wider on the ROTJ.
Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-102702-098.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Remember that the ROTJ left gauntlet top is different from the ESB/pre-pro ones. the side where the flamer mounts is more vertical to accomodate the ROTJ box style flamer..this makes the top area (meaning when looking at it from above) wider towards the back. If you look at them from the back, the flamer side is more straight up on the ROTJ as opposed to the ESB where it taper as it goes upwards. This maintains the same width where it attaches to the bottom half. the Opening width on the bottom is the same on both ESB and ROTJ. If you look at the front shot of the left Cervantes gauntlet, you can see how it flares out towards the bottom. ROTJ doesnt do that. The Cevantes ones Art posted are a match for Pre-pro and ESB.

You can see what i mean here..this is my 99% done ESB sculpt (the only top shot i could find quickly lol) and the MOM ROTJ. Although the angle is ever so slightly different, you can see where the flamer attaches is wider on the ROTJ. View attachment 162746

Your sculpt looks GREAT!!!!! Actual have a question for you, Ill DM you. For sure though, we were talking about the same part. The first time I looked at the model I created with the top view of the gauntlet, I didn’t have any “sides” on it. I created the part we are talking about based on how that ended up lining up. The first pic (some things on the back have been joined) but other than that this is about what I came up with BEFORE I put it up against the Fett pic.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.17.23 PM.png

The side parts on the side of the cannel that hold the rocket were wider. It was only after lining up the pic of fetts gauntlet did I get the angle that it need to. But as you can see, it was pretty right on ONLY based on the measurements from the Cevantes Gaunlets.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.17.05 PM.png

Then added a sketch for the lines and angle.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 12.17.31 PM.png

So this isn't finished but setting up the clam shells and using photos to determine where they join at, is this a crazy suggestion that they may be separated like the images below?
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 7.07.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 7.07.13 PM.png

So, little update on the gauntlet. Doesn't look like much progress but getting the right measurements for my forearm and still having it line up with the top of the gauntlet without changing it has taken a little bit to figure out. Also the two layers of the gauntlet still need to be "split". Part of the reason is they will slide into place and have many flat earth magnets recessed in the plastic. In theory thats how its supposed to work.
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.25.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.25.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.25.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.25.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.24.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 5.25.00 PM.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back