Changing from ROTJ to SE: Questions

Neo Fett

Active Hunter
Hello all,
I have a 'completed' (nothing is ever complete) ROTJ costume. I recently go an air brush and I've learned a lot since I originally painted with rattle cans so I decided to strip everything down a repaint. With everything having a blank slate I figured now would probably be a good time to consider going from ROTJ to SE. I have done some research on what the difference is exactly but I was hoping I could get some questions answered and double check my findings. (Ironically when searching the difference between ROTJ and SE one of the first results is a thread telling OP to use the search function).

I see that the promo shots differ slightly than what is actually in the SE - and some promotion shots I see in the gallery contradict each other.

So, here is what I have found, please correct me if something is wrong.

Paint:
Helmet - ESB Hero
Left knee - PP2
Jetpack - ROTJ style, different damage
Everything else: ROTJ style

Soft parts:
Pouches - One darker, pp2(?), one ROTJ
Spats - One ESB(?), one ROTJ
Everything else - ROTJ color
Ammo belt - ROTJ with more pouches and white spots (I assume from age? The vinyl coloring is coming off?)
Braids - PP2 braids(?)

Physical differences:
Left gauntlet - Tip of flame thrower has added parts that extrude round and out (on some shots?). Hose attached to rocket and goes behind back plate.
Right gauntlet - Only one hose coming from the top and goes under shoulder bell. Connectors from the bottom two hoses are black in color.

So, that is what I have found. Now for the question section.
  • Jetpack: The weathering is very clearly more extreme in promo shots. What JP is this? Can the less weathered ROTJ style be used?
  • Gauntlets: Why is the tube going from the rocket into the backplate not always present?
  • Gauntlet paint: Does the weathering in the paint differ from ROTJ?
  • Flight suit: It looks to be the same color as ROTJ, but I saw somewhere it isn't the same suit. Is the color still the same?
  • Pouches/Spats: In some of the promo shots one pouch and one spat is much darker than the other, or is this just the lighting? Where did the darker ones come from?\
  • Helmet: Paint, wrapped brow, and different physical damage. Any other differences?
I guess this is what you get when you have people years later assembling a complex costume with several variations.

Hey, I have a 501st approved promo shoot fett and am hoping to get Mando merc approved here shortly for my promo fett. I hope I can answer you’re questions

Jetpack: is weathered more then ROTJ, promo shoot and magic of Star Wars gallery is best for reference for the SE pack

Gauntlet: only the promo shoot has the tubing going from the rocket under the breastplate below the cape.

Flightsuit: is RoTJ but is very slightly weathered in the promo shoots (501st requires weathering on the lower legs)

Pouches/spats : for ROTJ SE you would do tan pouches. For Promo shoot you could do grey and tan or both beige. (Spats are the same color as tan pouches)

Helmet: this is the biggest difference, you will have the crack on the right side of the helmet (looking at the helmet). You will have also a lot more damage/ weathering / rust spatter / oil stain by the stalk...etc

Things that are different depending on what you do

Ammo belt: Promo shoot has 14 pouches , RoTJ SE has 8.

Blaster: RoTJ SE has full scope as Promo has half scope

Gauntlets: the tubing on the left gauntlet where the hose connectors are (2 lower ones ) is painted black as opposed to the color of the gauntlets in Promo shoot

Knee: with the PP2 knee for promo shoot the band is also yellow in color ( same yellow as the knee)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back