Jet Pack CBrant's ROTJ SE (AOSW) Jetpack Paintup (FInished - Pics in 1st Post)

cbrant

Active Hunter
Hey all,

Figured I would share my Man of War AOSW jetpack paintup! I used Terminal Fettler's paintup as a guide + his handy dandy Humbrol colour list.

Boba JP Progress 2 006.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 009.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 010.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 011.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 012.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 013.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 014.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 008.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 007.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really nice there Cbrant! Off to a great start on this bad boy. Glad I just have to get thru an ESB JP paint up cause these intimidate me even more.are you using masking fluid or topical?

Thanks for the compliment Syllander!

All of what it painted right now is layered. For the white that comes through the silver, I will paint topically. There may be some other small spots that I do topical, but for the most part I will layer this.

-Cole

Gotcha! It looked like it but hard to tell in pics...
Just a thought-something I see in my head( which can be very dangerous place lol). Would it be easier to leave the masking fluid and localized masking tape and weather each area seperately THEN remove the masking fluid? I'm no painter so I don't know much about it. Just the thought I was planning on pursuing with painting.

Gotcha! It looked like it but hard to tell in pics...
Just a thought-something I see in my head( which can be very dangerous place lol). Would it be easier to leave the masking fluid and localized masking tape and weather each area seperately THEN remove the masking fluid? I'm no painter so I don't know much about it. Just the thought I was planning on pursuing with painting.

I am pretty sure that's how Terminal Fettler did his, and it's probably the smart way to do it, but I want to just weather the whole thing at once.

Edit: Just went and looked at his thread at the part where he did the blue. He definitely removed the masking fluid then weather with gray because you can see it dirtying up parts of the silver base. I suppose it makes sense that the silver wouldn't all be clean and fresh scratches.

That's right cbrant. You can do some minor overall misting while the fluid is still down, but then it's good to go over again after the masking is removed. I think I did all the weathering at the end simply because it was one less colour to change in my airbrush. Dirtying up the silver is a good thing :) Everything is looking great so far! I definitely think I used two tins of 109. I had to do at least 2 coats. The grey weathering definitely helps with killing the vibrancy and filling in any lighter patches of blue.

I think I did all the weathering at the end simply because it was one less colour to change in my airbrush.

Admittedly, this is my main reason. I don't want to dirty up the airbrush more than I have to because I hate cleaning it.

Admittedly, this is my main reason. I don't want to dirty up the airbrush more than I have to because I hate cleaning it.

The jetpack was my first experience with an airbrush...and I had no idea how to clean it. It didn't come with instructions (IWATA knock off). I think I sent it to my hobby shop twice for a cleaning before the guy showed me how to do it properly. Oh the shame.

I painted the red on last night. After staring at the AOSW reference images, I decided that the silver under the blue is the only layered portion of the jetpack, and that the white on every other color is topical. Some of it looks really obvious, but other parts look like they could be layered. I will likely finish the rest of the JP with topical application. I would like to know if anyone contests that?

On another note, the red 73 is the best Humbrol colour I have used so far - was really easy to spray.

Alright, I'm really bad about taking progress pics, so here is the finished product! Hope ya'll like it!
Boba JP Progress 2 005.JPGBoba JP Progress 2 006.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 008.JPGBoba JP Progress 2 007.jpg
Boba JP Progress 2 009.jpgBoba JP Progress 2 010.jpg
Boba JP Progress 2 011.JPGBoba JP Progress 2 012.JPG
Boba JP Progress 2 014.JPGBoba JP Progress 2 013.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 005.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 006.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 007.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 008.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 009.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 010.jpg

Boba JP Progress 2 011.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 012.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 013.JPG

Boba JP Progress 2 014.JPG

Looks Great Cole! Looks like you've done this before man. Always cool to see how realistic the wear and tear looks when the process is done right.

I love the chest emblem on the panel! It's a great touch to an astounding jet pack paint up. Excellent work!

Looks Great Cole! Looks like you've done this before man. Always cool to see how realistic the wear and tear looks when the process is done right.

Thank you! Never painted a jetpack before, and not sure I ever want to again!

Great job!!

Thank you! Yours is looking pretty sharp too. What color did you use for the thrusters? I couldn't bring myself to use that recommended Humbrol on them - didn't look right.

Very nice job

Thanks! :)

I love the chest emblem on the panel! It's a great touch to an astounding jet pack paint up. Excellent work!

I had a hard time choosing between the chest emblem or somehow incorporating Minimotron there, but I didn't like the emblem Wookiepedia showed as Minimotron's. Thank you for the compliment.

I think I mixed lots of different humbrol greys in the end, tried to get close, mine are probably a bit light but I'm gonna leave it at that!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back