Bleaching MoW gloves for ESB?

Evan1701

Active Hunter
Hey Fett-heads, so I'm trying to get my MoW gloves to pass basic approval while I wait for my Mike M. gloves. Has anyone on here tried this, and what sorts of methods have you tried? I'm worried any sort of bleach is going to leech the color out of them and turn them tan.

My plan currently is to test a drop of diluted bleach, probably a 10% mixture or less, leave it on the fabric for a few minutes, then blot it off to see what the result is. If it's okay, I'm going to soak both gloves in the mixture and leave it for about an hour before soaking it in hot water and cleaning them.

If worst comes to worst and they turn out tan or too light, I could airbrush them the correct color.

Somehow I need to go from this:

lWaDy2p.jpg

To this:

793px-ESB_Boba_Gloves.jpg

Attachments

• 198px-ESB_Boba_Gloves.jpg
    198px-ESB_Boba_Gloves.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 328
Try Ritz colour remover, it’s not as severe as bleach.
It’s designed to lighten colours
My GML mentioned this. I think this might eliminate the issue of the bleach turning it tan, but I'm concerned the color remover wouldn't get the gray light enough. Has anyone else tried this method?

esb gloves are pretty dark, as seen here: View attachment 162959

Not to disagree with the glove master himself but I really think that shot might be over contrasted. I see a lot of edit pics of Fett that darken the contrast a lot and his gloves take a definite hit when this is done. Here’s another photo in near the same light and only a couple scenes later in the movie.

9B66142A-0B0D-4223-81C1-91C128FAFF5E.jpeg

I suggest getting to know mike.m his gloves come near perfect color.

i don't typically dye them as dark as that picture i posted, getting them that dark is actually pretty difficult. i just meant to point out that the gray that christian uses can be acceptable for esb, though personal preference and perception is a big factor in deciding how gray you want your gloves.

for lightening them, i'd use a weak bleach bath with hot water for a minute or two, like a cap full of bleach in 3-4 gallons of water. then rinse them well in warm water. repeat as necessary, use shorter bleach bath times as they become visibly lighter. keep in mind that the fabric will appear darker when wet, so don't go crazy with it. when you're at the shade you want put them in the wash on the delicate cycle with a couple white towels to rinse out any remaining bleach. tumble or air dry as you see fit.

i don't typically dye them as dark as that picture i posted, getting them that dark is actually pretty difficult. i just meant to point out that the gray that christian uses can be acceptable for esb, though personal preference and perception is a big factor in deciding how gray you want your gloves.

for lightening them, i'd use a weak bleach bath with hot water for a minute or two, like a cap full of bleach in 3-4 gallons of water. then rinse them well in warm water. repeat as necessary, use shorter bleach bath times as they become visibly lighter. keep in mind that the fabric will appear darker when wet, so don't go crazy with it. when you're at the shade you want put them in the wash on the delicate cycle with a couple white towels to rinse out any remaining bleach. tumble or air dry as you see fit.

When I was weathering my mike.m gloves i wet them and started going at it. They appeared almost a joker purple. But they dried up a perfect grey I wanted. It is certainly a preference. I suppose my preference is to the picture I posted.

Alright, here's my full report for using the Rit color remover.

lGnJ978l.jpg

Gave em a good wash beforehand

rT7NkEql.jpg

Poured the mixture into a simmering pot, threw my gloves in, and this happened almost instantly:

JVbLeUMl.jpg

So, yikes. Whatever. Gonna break out the airbrush. Pulled out a can of trusty Gray 64 from when I was doing my helmet paint-up.

Final result (still wet)

TC8y8FGl.jpg

QgetTJLl.jpg

nApXhgsl.jpg

Ended up pretty good. In its current state, the color matches the CRL almost perfectly. I don't know how much it'll lighten up when it dries, but we'll see tomorrow.

Alright, here's my full report for using the Rit color remover.

View attachment 162962

Gave em a good wash beforehand

View attachment 162963

Poured the mixture into a simmering pot, threw my gloves in, and this happened almost instantly:

View attachment 162964

So, yikes. Whatever. Gonna break out the airbrush. Pulled out a can of trusty Gray 64 from when I was doing my helmet paint-up.

Final result (still wet)

View attachment 162965

View attachment 162966

View attachment 162967

Ended up pretty good. In its current state, the color matches the CRL almost perfectly. I don't know how much it'll lighten up when it dries, but we'll see tomorrow.

Nice work not bad at all. Looking forward to seeing what dry looks like.

Nice work not bad at all. Looking forward to seeing what dry looks like.
Me too man. Worst comes to worst, if it's still too light or "off" looking, I think the color will go on a lot darker once they're dry. I also have a darker shade of gray I can use, gray 79. It's just easier when they're wet since you can avoid areas you don't want to color (like the finger pads) and it soaks in and makes it look natural.

Unfortunately the gloves are still not approvable because the padding wraps around the forefinger instead of being 2 separate pieces. I'm going to try and cut it apart tonight and sew it to make it look like the CRL.

Oh odd that it wraps around the finger... it Shouldn’t be too hard to do, fingers crossed for you.... no pun intended ;)
Yeah the pads are sewed directly over the base glove material. Going to cut it down the side, rip the seams in those areas, cut off the excess material, and sew it back up. I'll report back tonight or tomorrow with the results...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back