Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon (1/72)

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!
I wanted to show off my early Christmas present from Mrs. Superjedi. :D
It's the Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon. Wow. . . this kit is absolutely amazing. The engineering, research, and detail that went into its production is beyond any kit I've ever worked on before, from any genre! Simply stunning.
I've been working on it off and on between my normal Fett commissions, and it was really fun to work on.
Here are some "beauty shots."

DSCN0465.JPG DSCN0496.JPG DSCN0477.JPG

The finished kit measures over 19" long and around 14" wide! If anyone's familiar with the Fine Molds Falcon from years ago, IMO this one blows it away. . . Granted, the Fine Molds is a great kit, but this is, well, perfect. LOL.

The whole kit was based in a custom blend of Reefer White (Badger acrylic) and Polly Scale Grime. This gave a nice, warm white tone. Individual panels were masked and painted using primarily Vallejo acrylics. But I did use some Floquil Boxcar Red for the red panels!

Here are some detail shots:
First, the cockpit area. The kit includes 2 full sets of parts for the canopy and gun turret windows. One set has the "glass" and the other set is just the frameworks. I chose to go with the frame-only parts for my build.

DSCN0471.JPG

Weathering was done using a mix of airbrush misting with a couple shades of gray, as well as application of pigment powders. The fine chips were done using a very fine detail brush.

Here's the engine deck area. The 6 big grilles are photoetched parts! There's a total of 10 photoetched parts included--the 6 big grilles, the 3 smaller grilles on the docking arms, and the band around the cockpit tube.

DSCN0482.JPG DSCN0521.JPG

A few various shots of the hull weathering. The gun turrets even have interiors, although you can barely see into them once the kit is assembled. The antenna is movable, as are the cannons.

DSCN0513.JPG DSCN0469.JPG DSCN0525.JPG DSCN0497.JPG DSCN0504.JPG

There are close to 100 tiny decals scattered all over the model! Bandai really outdid themselves on this kit. Decals for the larger colored panels are included as well, but with so much small detail, it would have been very difficult to get them to lay down flat.

Optional parts are included for the boarding ramp and the landing gear so you can build the Falcon as a landed version or in-flight. I chose to go in-flight for mine. The optional parts would be fantastic to make a docking bay 94 or Death Star hangar diorama though. :)

The kit is lighted as well. There are lights for the engines, the cockpit (only the two white light strips on the back wall), the ramp and landing gear, if you build the Falcon in the landed configuration.

I'm really glad I had the chance to add it to my Star Wars collection. I love Boba and the Slave I, but the Falcon has always been my favorite ship from the franchise. Thanks for looking!

Looks sweet! I would think that modelers would have an idea about how difficult that is to paint. I googled the Enterprise and it is more difficult than it looks, but the Falcon is tougher. There is just a lot of extra colors and detail. Maybe he installed his own light kit or something? The Bandai Falcon comes with that already done and done well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back