Armor Attachment Method: Jewelry Pins with Clutch Backs.

Nice! I just got my locking backs with set screws this week and that is going to be one of the updates.

Could you give me the Cliff's Notes version? Which would you go with if cost wasn't a factor, the set screw version or the no tool version you used previously? The set screw version seems more secure, but the no tool version is lower profile. If the no tool version is "good enough," I might just go with those.

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I'm gonna use it for my Boba I've started up. I decided on using pins for everything but the backplate. I figured that a couple strips of Velcro could keep it in check, PLUS the harness and jetpack also keeping it in place. I figured the backplate should be easily removable, so you can loop the jetpack rings through the backplate, AND a lot of boba vests have a spine-closure.

Sent from my iPhone

The "no tool" version locking clutch backs are good enough. I have not done a trial run with the "set screw" version yet and am planning on comparing the two tonight. I am however leaning towards the "set screw" version based on a few factors. One being that you can easily use washers and use lock tight on the set screw to make it super secure and theoretically rip resistant. Again, so far this is all trial and error and until I have compared the two, I won't completely make up my mind. I don't think the lower profile will play a factor in my decision as the "set screw" versions seem to be pretty comparable. I will say though that the "no tool" clutch back versions are very promising since I have yet to see one come off accidentally even after trick-or-treating for almost 2 hours, getting in and out of cars, as well as dressing and undressing multiple times as trial runs.

With all that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I'm gonna use it for my Boba I've started up. I decided on using pins for everything but the backplate. I figured that a couple strips of Velcro could keep it in check, PLUS the harness and jetpack also keeping it in place. I figured the backplate should be easily removable, so you can loop the jetpack rings through the backplate, AND a lot of boba vests have a spine-closure.

Sent from my iPhone

Velcro would be a viable option! If I needed some way of keeping it in check I would definitely go that route. I have worn my suit without the Jetpack and Harness and it fits me so much like a glove that I don't feel any need of attachment especially after I'm mounted with my Harness and Jetpack.

Updated with the improved locking clutch backs.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

IMG_5363.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

I only see 28 Jewelry Pins being used. How did you come up with 60? Or is that 60 for 2 sets of armor? Looks great, BTW. So only 2 pins per shoulder bell?

I only see 28 Jewelry Pins being used. How did you come up with 60? Or is that 60 for 2 sets of armor? Looks great, BTW. So only 2 pins per shoulder bell?

Sorry, that was worded poorly on my behalf. Let me try again. The first set I did was overkill and was somewhere along the lines of 50 for one set, but since then i have done two sets and between both of them the number was around 60. Sorry for the vagueness I wasn't positive at the time how many I was currently running on one set. I am thinking however to add another pin to the shoulder bells making it three and spreading them out evenly. I'm waiting for my Batninja Vest to be altered so I can start poking holes in it lol.

Sorry, that was worded poorly on my behalf. Let me try again. The first set I did was overkill and was somewhere along the lines of 50 for one set, but since then i have done two sets and between both of them the number was around 60. Sorry for the vagueness I wasn't positive at the time how many I was currently running on one set. I am thinking however to add another pin to the shoulder bells making it three and spreading them out evenly. I'm waiting for my Batninja Vest to be altered so I can start poking holes in it lol.
I use three on the shoulders as well

Looks like I have some returns to make. At least I figured it out before making an eBay order.

Oh man! I'm sorry I confused you brother. Most of this is trial and error right now and I haven't even fully finished and completed my Vest with armor. I intend to update and clean everything up once it's done and I've worked out all the kinks. Again I'm sorry for confusing you and potentially making you spend more money than you needed especially since this thread was to help people keep cost down yet maintain an efficient platform for mounting the armor.

Again I'm sorry for confusing you and potentially making you spend more money than you needed especially since this thread was to help people keep cost down yet maintain an efficient platform for mounting the armor.

Are you kidding me? I saved 4 times that amount by not going the magnet route. And thankfully, I got the right number down before I bought the locking pin backs, which was the expensive part. And I can take the extra pins back to Michael's. Seriously, thanks for posting!

Finally got to test this myself with some RKD armor on one of my custom kits' flak vests. It's an incredible method, seriously. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G930P

Not a half bad idea, but past experiences from being in the Army, and having all of our awards attach the same way, I have traumatic memories of loosing the pin cap and getting stabbed quite often lol

Haha,

truth right here. Damn dress greens/blues!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty slick idea! If my heavy duty velcro doesn't hold up, and I need to switch to something more permanent, I would definitely consider giving this a go. Thanks for sharing!

Well I was able to do my first actual troop for the Rogue One Premiere at a local theater with The Twin Suns Fan Club! I'm still running the locking clutch backs without the set screws. I wanted to try these out first to see how well they hold up. I trooped for 5 hours on Thursday night, 4 hours on Saturday, and then another 2 Hours on Sunday. Didn't have a single problem with any of my jewelry pin attachments.

Here are some pictures from the troop at the theater.

Disclaimer: Shin tools are in the wrong pockets and this is only due to the fact that my Loan Star Flight suit shin tool pocket on my right leg is too small to fit the squeegee tool, so I'll have to make some modifications. I didn't have time to finish them either so they are just painted silver :/ I'm also missing my sidearm holster. Other than that I think I could even meet 501st CRL but I'm just happy I was able to troop my Fett for the first time! :D

Boba%20and%20Han%20in%20Carbinite_zps7igkjts4.jpg

Fettastic%20Galaxy%203_zpsmgr5ka0c.jpg

Fettastic%20Galaxy%202%20fotor_zpsp8q3zzjf.jpg

Fettastic%20Galaxy%205%20fotor_zpsnygalsip.jpg

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back