3D printed helmet

psych0ticmisfit

Active Hunter
I decided to try 3D printing a helmet. I searched all over for one that was modeled with 3D printing in mind. One that was cut up and ready to go but I couldn’t find anything that was good looking. Then I found RafalFett’s model. it wasn’t cut up into multiple pieces like I had hoped but I was able to get it cut up by using fusion360.
I would like to thank RafalFett for the great file. I am still printing out pieces but I thought I’d show my progress so far.

The front right of the dome needs to be re-printed. Not sure how but the layers shifted on me and you’ll see a slight line across it.

I have it taped together for a test fit. Front left visor still has the support material in place. Once I get everything printed I’ll start glueing it. Then I’ll apply the smooth on xtc.

A9EA6D22-FA85-44CA-9189-52DAD19AADE2.jpeg DAAAD993-2B9F-4D2F-96C7-4B2BE76D71A8.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words!

The helmet looks very good, although it is a bit rough (it is the model's fault not yours), but you can easily correct it with a little elbow grease and some bondo. Keep up the great work!

Yeah it’s a little rough. It will need some smoothing. You can see individual polygons in places but the accurate dimensions and overall shapes are there. With a little sanding it’ll look great.

Always love seeing these. And always a little jealous too lol, the ability to rapid prototype like that is such a great tool.

I've been eyeing getting the new CR-10 the past few days though, so hopefully might be able to join the 3d printing club soon.

Grimstuff, I was always jealous seeing others 3D print stuff and finally I just bit the bullet and purchased one. I was looking at the cr10 too but I didn’t have much to spend so I went with a maker select plus. It was open box item so I got an amazing deal on it. I’m obsessed with it. I printed a shoretrooper helmet and now the boba helmet and even a few lightsabers. I’m not sure what to do next. Though, I’m currently designing a helmet stand in fusion360. Looks similar to the old master replicas stands.

Couple more pics. Taped the ears on to see how it looks.

E759AB73-D363-4E25-AE66-8A44F115EC1F.jpeg ABE857A0-9C22-4B1E-97E4-6E176327EC85.jpeg

Got it all glued together. I’m using instant set spray for the ca glue and ended up with crooked forehead triangles. Oh well. At least it’s still looking good.

18218AEC-B0A8-4502-91D9-875958D37BD5.jpeg

I've scratch built and 3D printed and they both take some time but it's worth it. I prefer 3D printing if the template is good then tweeking it with some trimming and bondo. Takes out some of the guess work when scratch building.
looks good! Can't wait to see more!

Would CA Un-Cure damage the PLA? Might be worthwhile separating it apart to get the triangles lined up. I know that would bother me forever :eek:

Would CA Un-Cure damage the PLA? Might be worthwhile separating it apart to get the triangles lined up. I know that would bother me forever :eek:

Hah yeah I know what you mean. It has been bugging me. But I figured I’d fill part of it in and rebuild one so they are even.

I didn’t even think of the un-cure. I may have to pick some of that up and give it a try. I don’t think it will cause problems with the pla.

Quick update. I’ve been lazy. I have been binge watching Vikings and playing some pubg instead of working on this. Also started printing parts for a life size R2-D2. But I am hoping for some free time this weekend so I can install a makeshift visor in to keep its shape that way I can throw some smooth-on xtc 3D resin on it.

Last edited:
So applied one layer of XTC-3D on the helmet and ear pieces. Letting it dry then I’ll see if I missed any spots and apply a second layer if needed.

BFD32FDF-2134-4EBD-88EF-45E8C4688748.jpeg 09BFB868-3094-4D15-AA00-51C9108CF856.jpeg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back