Jet Pack 11/3/16 UPDATE! Fettastic ESB Jetpack paint up (pic heavy)

Ahh I meant to finish that sentence lol!

On the thrusters....I don't think you want to mess with it...but the brown below the indentions should be kinda like a thin coat where it was almost a wash....really you could take like 2000 grit wet sand paper to get it that way....

And the Dot...I always paint it on. you might could use a vinyl decal even.

Dental file...check out toolguys shapeways dental file....I got one here for a customer and its pretty close to the real deal...and easy to get.

Regarding the thrusters...hmmm...it might just be the lighting on whichever picture you are looking at because that is exactly the effect I was going for and I used reference photos as best I could. I'll take some close ups out side in good lighting so you can see the wash you are referring to.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

As you can see it is very thin and has the fade/wash effect while still clearly showing sharp edges for the reddish brown square markings.

i think I'll try painting on the dot when I get some time...and I actually have a dental file in the works so I'm pretty excited!!

I also just want to say thanks to everyone for input and help on this build!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally added the exhaust vent to the bottom of the JP. I painted mine chrome and am on the fence right now about adding some smoke/exhaust weathering to it. I kind of like the contrast...maybe I'll just add it the the edges or something to give it the effect. Just thinking out loud.

FullSizeRender(45).jpg

FullSizeRender(45).jpg

Awesome work! This inspired me to paint my jet pack. Quick question, what color did you use for your rust weathering?

Awesome work! This inspired me to paint my jet pack. Quick question, what color did you use for your rust weathering?

I made my own mixture with Browns and Reds but if you don't like mixing it is very close to the Model Master color RUST believe it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic thread! I'm hoping to pick up a MOW Jetpack soon.

I may be selling a completed MOW pack finished and painted by me if you are interested.

Update!!!

This update I owe to JBdubz! You Totally hooked me up with a blue micro mega dental file #20 and an aluminum beacon. Which put me in the mood to finish the fine details on this paint up. Thanks for looking out brother!

Ok other than installing the beacon, stabilizer, and dental file...I ended working a little more on the "white wash" scratching/blemish behind the stabilizer on the upper right part of the JP. I also did the notorious white dot, whoever the heck knows why that thing is there. I painted the top of the dental file the same color red as the piano keys. I added small overall weather detailing and then dull coated the whole thing.

list of things left to complete project:

Mist the dental file with Jetpack green
Beacon led light kit
Attach back hatch
Attach harness clips
Eventually Michell found part for stabilizer or aluminum replica
Eventually add smoke system for thrusters

Dreams:
Add servos to thrusters with wireless operation :lol:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The good old Jetpack Comparison!

Disclaimer:
I color corrected the cast on my phone to try and match the white in the original reference photo. I don't know if this is the correct way to try and balance the image to compare but in my mind it seemed logical.
Also, I didn't get the correct angle of the JP so the sizing and scale may look a little skewed. For this, I apologize for my laziness.

JP%20Comparison_zpsbpgkkpeh.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back