Jet Pack 11/3/16 UPDATE! Fettastic ESB Jetpack paint up (pic heavy)

Fettastic

Active Hunter
Hey Team,
I finally started tackling my MOW Jetpack project so I thought I would share my progress with the community. I didn't really do a lot of research on how people are putting these together and honestly couldn't find much. So I figured it can't be too hard to build anyways and maybe some TDH'ers can benefit from this. I'll post a lot of pictures because that's what I would want.

If you just want to see where I'm at in the stage of this thread I will post a more recent, updated photo here so you don't have to weed through the pages:

JP%20update_zpse70qjmr2.jpg

Click the image below to see a quick video

th_Video%20Oct%2026%207%2053%2040%20PM_zps91nifa3c.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the MOW kit pretty much how it comes.
Sorry I already attached the fuel caps and remembered I hadn't started taking pictures yet.
I also forgot to include the rocket wings that the kit comes with but I'll get to that later.

This is a work in progress so there will probably be more tools
and equipment needed but so far these are the essentials for my build.

I'll start with the upper attachment to the Jet pack where the rocket resides.

For this I believe I used a 1/4" bolt, JB weld, a nut and one large washer.

First you must use a dremel to make an opening for the bolt to recess.
before you use the JB weld you'll want to make sure the bolt lays vertical as plumb as possible.
I accomplish this by laying the part upside down with the bolt inside. Then I'll rotatethe unit as it lays flat
to see if the bolt has any wobble. When the recessed area is level, just add the JB weld and insert the Bolt
and let it dry approximately 24 hours.

Meanwhile, use a dremel to punch a hole slightly smaller than your bolt diameter. Go in increments!
I centered and drew out where the hole should be. You want the diameter to be smaller so that
you can actually thread the bolt into the body of the Jetpack.

Then you can add the greeblie before threading the attachment so that it will bottom
out against it. I haven't decided yet if I want to glue this greeblie down or not. I like to keep
as many attachments as possible separate and detachable.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Then just thread your bolt and washer on the inside to keep it from rotating.
image.jpeg View attachment 100793

Next is the Rocket. You'll need some JB weld, washers, super magnets with holes in the middle that you can get
at any Home Depot, and a screw or small bolt.
image.jpegView attachment 100795

First trace the super magnet diameter in the center of the bottom base of the rocket.
Dremel out a deep enough recess for one super magnet to live in. You want it deep enough so that
a second magnet can partially recess in the bass as well. This will help lock the rocket into the upper part
of the Jetpack. JB weld only one super magnet inside the recess.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

You can see that only the 3rd magnet is not recessed in the rocket
image.jpeg

Next I screw down stainless steel washers (not zinc) in the pre drilled hole.
This allows the strong magnets a nice surface to magnetize to. It is important that you use
the super magnets with holes in the middle so that they can sit over the screw or bolt and sit flush on the washers.
You may want to glue or JB weld your screw/bolt and washers in place once everything has been adjusted to fit correctly.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Then just slip it into place! You'll want to make sure everything fits nicely WITH the collar greeblie before glueing it down.
Keep in mind these magnets are really strong especially when stacked and it really takes a lot and I mean a lot of effort to remove the rocket.
image.jpegimage.jpegView attachment 100806

The next part is the thrusters. This part is pretty easy and MOW studios give partial instructions
on how to connect them.

You need 3/4" pvc pipe and 4 pvc 90 degree elbows. Use a dremel to make holes for your thrusters in the Jetpack.
make them only large enough so that there is a rim for the thrusters to bottom out on. Cut your PVC pipe to length. I eyeballed my first cut for the PVC pipe and got lucky.
It was just the right length for the elbows to sit flush against the holes for the thrusters.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Then you will need to attach the thrusters inside the PVC elbows with glue or some kind of epoxy.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Next I sanded down the fuel caps to make sure they sat flush and then glued them down with a 2 part epoxy.
image.jpeg

Photo Jun 27, 9 58 49 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 9 37 04 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't know why some of the attachments aren't registering. And they are sideways! I hate my iphone.

Ok, I think it worked. I'll post now the attachments that weren't working in the first post and you'll just have to reference back and forth from the text to these images. Again I'm sorry guys.

Photo Jun 27, 9 37 04 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 10 17 49 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 9 58 49 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 9 59 15 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 10 03 26 PM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, it's starting to look like a complete Jetpack!

Photo Jun 27, 10 15 24 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 9 37 04 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 9 58 49 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 9 59 15 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 10 03 26 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 10 17 49 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 10 15 24 PM.jpg

Very nice! Great touch on the magnets for rocket attachment. You might check out these two threads for paint-up which I found helpful: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/finished-bobamaker-jet-pack-rotj-se-paint-up-wip-50560 and http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/cbrants-rotj-se-aosw-jetpack-paintup-finished-pics-1st-post-51982

Wow!!! Terminal Fettlers was amazing!!! Mmmmm! I'm doing an ESB Jetpack though. I can't wait to start painting though and I hope I do the kit justice.

Update!

I sanded down the piano keys and installed them using the two part epoxy.
I sanded down and installed the grappling wings to the rocket using the the two part epoxy.
I added the additional holes to the rocket with a dremel.
I primered the jetpack.
I used very fine sand paper, I believe the grit was somewhere between 200 and 400 grit and used wire wool #0000
I applied 1 coat of the metallic silver
I used wire wool #0000
I applied another coat of metallic silver
And finished the Rocket Collar with Metallic Silver

Photo Jun 30, 10 26 27 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 05, 4 20 16 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 05, 4 19 26 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 05, 4 27 09 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 05, 9 35 24 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 05, 9 34 02 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 06, 10 06 29 PM crop.jpg Photo Jul 06, 11 02 53 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 4 19 26 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 4 20 16 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 4 27 09 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 9 34 02 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 05, 9 35 24 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 06, 10 06 29 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jul 06, 11 02 53 PM crop.jpg

Photo Jun 30, 10 26 27 PM crop.jpg

Finished masking off the main silver damage for the body of the jetpack.
Added some dark low lights to the damage areas for when I sand and wire wool down the damage areas.

Photo Jul 09, 9 01 31 PM.jpg

I use acrylic paints for the sole fact that they dry very fast, are easy to thin, and very very easy to clean up.
This is a custom green that took a lot of trial and error but man I love this color in person and think I'm going to redo my armor in it.
You can see that I didn't fully give a good coating over some of the damage areas. These are areas I'm going to use light sanding and wire wooling
and should help with keeping the silver in tact.

In these pictures the paint is still a little wet.

Photo Jul 09, 9 55 16 PM.jpg Photo Jul 09, 10 21 00 PM.jpg

After a little bit of wire wool I put on a light, and I mean very light second coat.
The paint is fully dried.

Photo Jul 11, 5 46 24 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 09, 9 01 31 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 09, 9 55 16 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 09, 10 21 00 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 5 46 24 AM.jpg

Update!

Here I have added pretty dark and intense low lights while still leaving the masking fluid over the main damaged areas.
Most of this will be wire wooled off when shaping the damaged areas but will help give some underlying texture.
Photo Jul 11, 7 01 48 PM.jpg Photo Jul 11, 9 29 27 PM.jpg Photo Jul 11, 9 46 38 PM.jpg

Now that the masking fluid has been removed from the main damaged areas,
I lightly coat back over some of the green, greys, and some highlights using the reference pictures from the gallery.
Photo Jul 11, 11 31 46 PM.jpg Photo Jul 11, 11 44 40 PM.jpg Photo Jul 11, 11 45 29 PM.jpg Photo Jul 11, 11 46 21 PM.jpg

I have topically added the grey textures and details around the silver damage along with some more shaping and weathering of the main silver damaged areas that I recently recoated.
I also removed the masking fluid I had on the piano keys and topically brushed on the red leaving some silver on some of the edges like the reference pictures.
Photo Jul 13, 12 43 40 AM.jpg Photo Jul 13, 12 43 20 AM.jpg Photo Jul 13, 5 56 27 AM.jpg Photo Jul 13, 12 43 47 AM.jpg

I masked around the fuel caps and painted on the yellow but will need to lightly wire wool them to fade them out a little and give them the right texture.
I did some of the final damage shaping using some greys.
I added the black and red markings near the bottom right of the Jetpack (does anybody know what to call these markings?)
I used tape, masking fluid and reference pictures to shape out the markings. Once they dry I will begin to weather, shape, and fade them out a bit.
Photo Jul 13, 11 12 02 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 7 01 48 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 9 29 27 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 9 46 38 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 11 31 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 11 44 40 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 11 45 29 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 11, 11 46 21 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 13, 5 56 27 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 13, 12 43 20 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 13, 12 43 40 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 13, 12 43 47 AM.jpg

Photo Jul 13, 11 12 02 PM.jpg

Great start, man! Also kudos for the tips on how to assemble everything.

Thanks! Yeah I didn't find too many threads out there showing how to assemble these. Granted, there are more ways than one to skin a cat and I'm sure better and maybe even more efficient ways to assemble these kits...I figured my may be useful to someone else on the thread.

Made a lot of progress and expect to finish some of the medium and dark grey detailing today...and maybe get to some of the dark weathering and rust! We'll see.

For the real noticeable silver damage I kept with the masking technique.
image.jpeg

I put on a really good coat on everything except around the edges of the masked off damage. It helps to blend with wire wool and sand paper later.
After the first coat dries I'll put on a thin layer over the big silver damage area and shape and form it with wire wool and sand paper using reference images.
image.jpeg

Was able to finish most of the airbrushing on the thrusters.
Just some dark weathering and grey detailing left on the thrusters...and the red on the greeblies.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok, another big update! Almost finished!

Finished the thrusters!
Because not all parts of the thrusters are visible in the reference photos and on film, I took some creative liberty in adding damage.
I figured I could leave them plain, or keep with the theme of the Jetpack and give them some wear.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Big push through this weekend and took some progress pictures.

I added the rust spots with both airbrushing and with brush bristles as well as some low light weathering.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I finished up the grey details including the main larger damaged area just below the rocket/missile. Again, I took some creative liberty on the underside
of the Jetpack...because there are no images to reference for ESB on this section I kinda wanted something unique to make my own.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Photo%20Jul%2017%2011%2003%2022%20PM.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks amazing! I hope when I get around to painting mine it turns out half as good!

Sent from my SM-G925V

What type of primer did you use, the last thing I tried to paint I used rustoleum primer and the solvent based both enamel and acrylic made it peel right up...I'm new to painting but experienced fabricating lol

Sent from my SM-G925V

Thanks Skaalaluke. I actually use Rustoleum self etching primer. Are you giving it enough time to cure? What kind of climate were you painting in?

Thanks Skaalaluke. I actually use Rustoleum self etching primer. Are you giving it enough time to cure? What kind of climate were you painting in?

Excellent job, your pack really looks great!
skaalaluke, I had a similar problem with my MOW jetpack, and I think it was due to insufficient sanding in preparation. I found the surfaces I really worked over held the paint fine (I used the same kind Fettastic mentions), but on some I thought smooth enough I had a real problem with peeling. After sanding further, the paint then stuck fine to those areas.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back