Zero’s Bossk sculpt, a work in progress

Very excited to see this. I do a ton of sculpting with my side business at www.wretchedhivecreations.com and have done several Cantina aliens. Bossk was always one of my favorites.

For the eyes, a trick I've used many times was to use acrylic Christmas ornaments from the craft store. They come clear and you can paint them from the inside so that they appear glossy and shiny on the outside. For Bossk you could do the red solid and use Testor's spray auto tint for the black. A few thin coats of that will give you the darkness you need but remain see-through enough to work. I did it on my Ponda Baba here:

ponda-baba-1-1140x642.jpg

Very excited to see this. I do a ton of sculpting with my side business at www.wretchedhivecreations.com and have done several Cantina aliens. Bossk was always one of my favorites.

For the eyes, a trick I've used many times was to use acrylic Christmas ornaments from the craft store. They come clear and you can paint them from the inside so that they appear glossy and shiny on the outside. For Bossk you could do the red solid and use Testor's spray auto tint for the black. A few thin coats of that will give you the darkness you need but remain see-through enough to work. I did it on my Ponda Baba here:

View attachment 162121

Love Your Ponda Baba, looks awesome... I too thought about sculpting him up but Bossk won the first sculpt up.

Great idea with the Christmas baubles i will have to keep an eye out for something along those lines, may have to eBay something up in the 50mm (2”) size soon.
I’m in the tedious but fun process of sorting out my new work shop, so hopefully soon I’ll be back at it:D

Back into it after a not so wee break, pulled the sculpt out of temporary storage from moving house. There was a slight bit of damage but nothing major.. just a few scars(damage from my little boy attacking the monster with a ruler sword...), so tempted to keep them....

After some clean up,tidying scales... and scar repair ;) it’s now all about adding in those details I love so much, and with the clay all nice and leathered from storage, it a good time to get everything nice and fine...
C64EF19E-4AAF-4064-9E15-995C0426A479.jpeg

Last update on the sculpt before moulding:)
It’s taking what seams like forever to add the details into every one of Bossk’s scales, sure I could have stopped and had them all smooth to save a lot of time, but real scales are not smooth, they all have texture to varying degrees.
Looking forward to moulding this, then I won’t have to worry about it drying too much and cracking (which is a painful backwards step to have to repair and redo)
9F6B3710-14A7-4330-8376-479E5796711F.jpeg

Not long now:)

Oh, I found what could be suitable eyes....
image.jpg

Will experiment and see if I like them, I have a few different ways of doing them in mind....

Oh, I found what could be suitable eyes....
View attachment 163508
Will experiment and see if I like them, I have a few different ways of doing them in mind....

Those should work well for you. I use them on my alien sculpts. If you have a need for tinting them black (I know you don't for Bossk) you can use Testors black window tinting spray paint. Apply it in super light coats.

Mould done and dusted.... always a bit scary covering all that hard work up...
2BD8D13C-6048-46E7-A576-842F0D26DEB4.jpeg

First layer of Hydrocal, nice and thick, should capture all those details.
I have gone with Hydrocal over Ultracal as it is better for mask making, though not as strong. I could have used stardard casting plaster but i find it is to soft and easily damages, also standard plaster is coarser than the Hyro/Ultracal so doesn’t capture the detail as finely.

BBF87FA9-5B18-4065-BEB9-F97A4E23939C.jpeg

F73CBACD-981E-4051-BE83-1686D00F2E92.jpeg

All finished. Now to demould and clean out all the clay.
I’ll do a small test pull for fun and then cast the jaw area so i can begin working on the teeth.

Fun Fun:)

E9395F68-95B3-4E66-84DA-D6E77380F107.jpeg

Soon I can begin on the jaw and teeth area and it will start looking more like the Bossk it’s meant to be :)

Well here’s the first test pull, this one is a bit orange and not Bossk green
3C8F8990-09E0-4E7C-BED0-5DF7581BF1BF.jpeg

Did some very quick paint up just to shoe the details
348BED3D-3E6C-454E-AFDE-68F07A5866DC.jpeg

This test pull will end up as some random “Thrando” looking through a window on a 501st display...
it may look a bit odd because its just my hand holding it up from the inside, so it’s a bit saggy :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back