We all have to start somewhere

RichHFB

Hunter
I started out following up a thread for a scratch build on Instructables which then led me onto Dented Helmet. My first attempt was with Wizard of Flilght templates. That didn't go so well. First of all they printed off a bit small and then I trimmed the wrong section. That knocked it all out of whack.
So I restarted the project with RalaFett templates and this is my story. Would like to point out early on that it was me at fault on my first attempt not the Wizard of Flight templates. It is my hope to improve my skills as I go and to show others that if your thinking about building just give it a go, it's the best way to learn.

image.jpg image.jpg
As you can see I am constructing my bucket from recycled materials. Shoe and cereal boxes mostly. With corrugated cardboard for the internal support structure as I figured it would be the strongest material that I have to hand.

image.jpg image.jpg
Unfortunately due to my inexperience I used a thin cardboard for the dome base and for some daft reason out of two pieces. I paid dearly for that later on. As you can see from the pictures it is poorly formed an so does not fully support my dome. A perfect example of 'follow the plans because you don't know best'
image.jpgimage.jpg
As the dome frame went on I used hot glue to fix it in place. You can see I have not removed the structure supports from the base or dome. It is my intention to hopefully use this model to make a cast from so it's my theory that I will need as much structure strength as possible. The urge to cut them out and try it on was very tempting especially with everyone around me asking if I had tried it on yet.
image.jpg

Forming the dome was a challenge. Even though I am aware the model is not as tidy as I hoped I am learning techniques. I also became aware that the cheeks were not seated properly and will have to be removed and reseated.
image.jpg
I am currently applying a layer of papier-mâché to seal up the joins before I apply the filler. I learnt the technique like most things from YouTube and is a very satisfying finish. Although while I was waiting for a layer to dry I was back on TDH reading and Learning when I came across a thread that said applying papier-mâché is the worst thing I could do......gulp. Guess we will see.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You got em on now. :)

I think you're doing well. If the mache is an issue, why not use a spray adhesive, and layer on newprint or whatever you're using?

That certainly sounds like a plan. At the moment the paper mâché is going on quite well and life willing should be moving onto the filler soon. I plan to use a filler/water/pva mix just researching mix ratios now.

After some research on the net I have found a few 'recommended ' mixes for my filler. The top ones are 50/50 , 1/3 pva and 2/3 water and 1/6 pva and 5/6 water. Think I am going to go for 1/3 pva to 2/3 water.

Well the plaster stage has begun

image.jpg

I used the water & pva mix for my plaster with a bit of Ds9 in the background

image.jpg

The plaster went on but not as smoothly as I would of liked but then I knew there was going to be a lot of sanding in my future anyway. Progress was slow as you can see Ds9 has changed to Flash Gordon
image.jpg

The sanding has been an interesting process

image.jpg image.jpg

Again the process is slow and I will have to add another layer of plaster before anymore sanding

"The sanding has been an interesting process "

Bwahahahaha!!! You're kidding, right? Ok to clarify, I'm not trying to be a smart mouth if it came off that way.

What I really mean is you didn't cuss that part of scratch build to oblivion? I sure as heck did. I nearly burnt up an oscillating tool trying to round perfect round spots and keep sharp certain angles in the Zam helmet I am working on. I had a few bubbles that showed up that I have filled in just this morning and will sand it down after my kids get home from school today. I still have alot of detail to get hammered out too. But your helmet is looking wonderful. I think your method is working beautifully.

"The sanding has been an interesting process "

Bwahahahaha!!! You're kidding, right? Ok to clarify, I'm not trying to be a smart mouth if it came off that way.

What I really mean is you didn't cuss that part of scratch build to oblivion? I sure as heck did. I nearly burnt up an oscillating tool trying to round perfect round spots and keep sharp certain angles in the Zam helmet I am working on. I had a few bubbles that showed up that I have filled in just this morning and will sand it down after my kids get home from school today. I still have alot of detail to get hammered out too. But your helmet is looking wonderful. I think your method is working beautifully.

Ha ha ha ..... Ok yeah there were a few moments when I did on some level consider whether I should of gone with a car filler rather than plaster but I think I can work this out. Might sound daft but I have found it really helpful to walk about with the bucket. Seeing it in different lights from different angles made the sanding much easier to find the spots that need work. I still have a long way to go but so far it's working out(ish)

Well my build has taken a few knocks time wise due to various life adventures but this is me so far

image.jpg
It has been quite an evolution and I am learning all the time

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Even though my project is far from finished for my next build I think I will try my hand with the UK version of Bondo just to see how they compare in techniques and finishes. This project has been on a VERY tight budget and so far has not cost me anything to build. One of the upsides to being a Childminder is your kitchen is one big craft station lol. Although once I have finished the details in my next session I will be looking to move onto the cast making part of the project. This could either be a success or see it all go up in flames. Fingers crossed lol

My experience is that Casting=no fun. Not everyone has had that lovely sort of start. For that matter, it ended badly and kinda stayed that way. So no more resin casting for me.

Good luck with whatever you use for your casting medium!

Nice going! However the dome looks a little off...it seems slanted to the left. That's the only thing I can really say at this point. Keep it up!

My experience is that Casting=no fun. Not everyone has had that lovely sort of start. For that matter, it ended badly and kinda stayed that way. So no more resin casting for me.

Good luck with whatever you use for your casting medium!

Thanks for the heads up. What problems did you have? Am planning to use latex. I have seen people using silicone and they never seem to be happy with the results. Depending on whether I can get some project time am hoping to move to that phase next week. Fingers crossed

I can't speak for casting large items in latex, but I can tell you my experience with latex is with molding over existing pieces. I used several thin layers so it would dry well, and that turned out well. Latex is something I think is easy for almost anyone to use, depending on your project. I think you'll like your end result in latex.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back