UPDATED First cosplay appearance at a small con-what I learned!

Bossklife

New Hunter
Hello all, I have a pretty nice Jango Fett cosplay that I will be wearing very soon to a small con.
I wanted to know if there were any typical standards for interacting with folks that I needed to be aware of and any advice that may be helpful. Please see the details I listed below before commenting.

I don't need the obvious stuff like don't be rude, don't harass females, etc.... I am looking for more of things that many of you experienced the first time that you may have not been aware of before your first event.
The whole purpose of me going, aside from hopefully spreading some happiness and all to kids and adults is to give this complete set-up a trial run and see what works and what doesn't such as:

*Is the helmet/gear comfortable for the entire day?
*Do I have parts that need repairs/upgrades?
*Is there anything that folks are pointing out that needs improvement or isn't movie-accurate?
*Do I need to install helmet fans?
*ETC

Some DETAILS on this con:
It is all indoors, so weather/temp should not be a big factor.
Its a smaller con, probably just a few hundred people.
I have my cousin coming with me to assist me, and act as a handler of sorts as needed (keep an eye out for any parts falling off; help me put on/take off jetpack; help with anyone who wants a picture taken; etc).

So, with all that said, please hit me up with tips, tricks, opinions, etc.
Again, this is essentially acting as a test-run for bigger things like DragonCon 2019 and all. I don't expect this to be perfect, but I do expect to learn and see what needs improvement.

Thanks in advance. Everyone here has been very helpful with other questions I have had!

EDIT-UPDATED WITH LESSONS LEARNED AND A FEW PICS BELOW!!

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience with your costume, but can give you a couple of advice for cosplaying in general.

Bring water! This is the single most important thing to bring besides the costume itself. While feeling like a rockstar in an awesome costume, people tend not to notice dehydration or low blood sugar. If you start to feel dizzy, let your handler know and get off the floor. Stay safe!

When the place fills up with people and noise and you are under a helmet, it can get disorienting. Make sure your handler knows to stay close by you at all times. If you are able to, I would also suggest doing a walk of the floor in advance. Just to get a feel for the space and where things are. This will unfortunately not be an option on many events, so good communication with the handler is important.

Oh, and bringing a roll of duct tape wouldn't hurt. ;)

I don't have any personal experience with your costume, but can give you a couple of advice for cosplaying in general.

Bring water! This is the single most important thing to bring besides the costume itself. While feeling like a rockstar in an awesome costume, people tend not to notice dehydration or low blood sugar. If you start to feel dizzy, let your handler know and get off the floor. Stay safe!

When the place fills up with people and noise and you are under a helmet, it can get disorienting. Make sure your handler knows to stay close by you at all times. If you are able to, I would also suggest doing a walk of the floor in advance. Just to get a feel for the space and where things are. This will unfortunately not be an option on many events, so good communication with the handler is important.

Oh, and bringing a roll of duct tape wouldn't hurt. ;)

Thanks for the help!!
Also, I will be in there almost 2 hours before doors open as I have a media pass to conduct a few interviews (before I put the costume on, of course :) ) So, I will be able to scout out the venue some beforehand!

If you haven't already done so, I would heavily recommend installing fans inside the helmet. Even indoor troops with climate control can get hot under the many layers of this suit. I wear a Jango too so I speak from experience.

I don't have experience with Fett armor yet but I can tell you that even Stormtrooper armor gets warm in a climate controlled environment and I'll still use one of my two helmet fans to stay cool, so I'm seconding the fan recommendation.

If you don't drink water regularly, try to start yourself on a hydration routine ahead of the convention. Dehydration happens quick! But you also don't want to over-hydrate the night before or the day of. It might be easier in Fett gear but having to go while in white armor sucks! lol

Bring something to snack on, it is very easy to skip a meal while trooping due to the schedule, etc. and you will be burning energy quickly. Which leads to: try to eat a good meal before you begin. I also keep a couple granola bars in my pack for a quick boost.

Walk slowly and carefully. Kids appear out of nowhere, usually from behind or the sides where visibility is non-existent, and if they're excited to see you they'll get into your path very quickly.

Have fun!!

If you haven't already done so, I would heavily recommend installing fans inside the helmet. Even indoor troops with climate control can get hot under the many layers of this suit. I wear a Jango too so I speak from experience.

10-4. THANKS!!!

I don't have experience with Fett armor yet but I can tell you that even Stormtrooper armor gets warm in a climate controlled environment and I'll still use one of my two helmet fans to stay cool, so I'm seconding the fan recommendation.

If you don't drink water regularly, try to start yourself on a hydration routine ahead of the convention. Dehydration happens quick! But you also don't want to over-hydrate the night before or the day of. It might be easier in Fett gear but having to go while in white armor sucks! lol

Bring something to snack on, it is very easy to skip a meal while trooping due to the schedule, etc. and you will be burning energy quickly. Which leads to: try to eat a good meal before you begin. I also keep a couple granola bars in my pack for a quick boost.

Walk slowly and carefully. Kids appear out of nowhere, usually from behind or the sides where visibility is non-existent, and if they're excited to see you they'll get into your path very quickly.

Have fun!!

Understood! THANK YOU!

Have fun!!

This.

Most people swing their arms when they walk and depending on what kind of greeblies you have on your gauntlets (i have aluminum darts and rocket, these can be sharp and heavy) you could easily bonk a kid in the head or scratch/cut them because they will just appear from nowhere and want to interact with you. When I walk I try to hold onto my ammo pouches as much as possible so that some1 would have to be coming straight at me from the front (which I would obviously see) in order to have any chance at contacting my gaunts.

This.

Most people swing their arms when they walk and depending on what kind of greeblies you have on your gauntlets (i have aluminum darts and rocket, these can be sharp and heavy) you could easily bonk a kid in the head or scratch/cut them because they will just appear from nowhere and want to interact with you. When I walk I try to hold onto my ammo pouches as much as possible so that some1 would have to be coming straight at me from the front (which I would obviously see) in order to have any chance at contacting my gaunts.

Good points! THANK YOU!

When is the con? Take some pictures!

Here are a couple of pics taken in front of a green screen with the Star Wars backgrounds added:
20181110_144322_264.jpg
20181110_144538_393.jpg

Ok, so here is the update:
1) I have earned a LOT of respect for you guys that troop in full gear all day, particularly in the heat.
2) I had ALL KINDS of issues with my gear-parts falling off, not staying together (THANK GOD you fellas suggested bringing duct tape!!!) to my belts not fitting properly (even though they seemed fine 2 weeks ago when I put everything on at home!)
3) I have a LOT of work to do to improve this/repair this before attending any big cons, that is for sure.
4) A handler TRULY is a lifesaver!!!!!
5) I decided not to wear my microphone, but I should have! Having conversations was tough!
6) My helmet/visor stayed completely fogged up the entire show, I couldn't see a thing!

Again, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, ideas, and assistance. I have a LOT to learn and a LOT to do.
Anyone who wants to follow my journey can do so on instagram using my same username- bossklife
THANKS AGAIN!!!! I am truly appreciative!

IMG_20181112_220908_220.jpg

Having fans inside your helmet will help with the heat and also keep your visor from fogging up.

Couple of things I noticed from your pictures, if your goal is to get 501st approvable (if not, then disregard). I apologize if these are already known to you.

1. Your thigh armors are upside down. You'll want to spin them 180 degrees
2. You are missing boot armor
3. Your boots do not have the silver areas along the side nor the correct profile of the sole
"Most identifiable features include a high arch pattern on the inside of the sole.
Four profile "swoops" between the sole and leather upper which is silver in color."

4. A small silver and black slide switch on the left gauntlet next to the rocket.
5. A missing dart on the gauntlet
6. flight suit is too dark
7. Flak vest needs to be long enough to tuck inside your girth belt. Girth and ammo belt needs to be raised up to facilitate that.
8. Torso plates spacing needs adjusted.
9. Your helmet has weathering but nothing else does
10. Im not sure about the sheen of your flak vest. There is nothing specific about it in the CRL but it does not match what is seen on screen.
11. Not sure if it the camera angle but your RF stalk seems bent.

Those are what I could see need addressed if you plan on taking your suit a step further for 501st approval. You've got a great set there, just need some adjustments to really take it to the next level. Great job and hope the minicon was tons of fun!

Congratulations on your first con!

For your visor I wonder if anti-fog spray hockey players use in their visors would help?

No clue, I may try it!

Having fans inside your helmet will help with the heat and also keep your visor from fogging up.

Couple of things I noticed from your pictures, if your goal is to get 501st approvable (if not, then disregard). I apologize if these are already known to you.

1. Your thigh armors are upside down. You'll want to spin them 180 degrees
2. You are missing boot armor
3. Your boots do not have the silver areas along the side nor the correct profile of the sole
"Most identifiable features include a high arch pattern on the inside of the sole.
Four profile "swoops" between the sole and leather upper which is silver in color."

4. A small silver and black slide switch on the left gauntlet next to the rocket.
5. A missing dart on the gauntlet
6. flight suit is too dark
7. Flak vest needs to be long enough to tuck inside your girth belt. Girth and ammo belt needs to be raised up to facilitate that.
8. Torso plates spacing needs adjusted.
9. Your helmet has weathering but nothing else does
10. Im not sure about the sheen of your flak vest. There is nothing specific about it in the CRL but it does not match what is seen on screen.
11. Not sure if it the camera angle but your RF stalk seems bent.

Those are what I could see need addressed if you plan on taking your suit a step further for 501st approval. You've got a great set there, just need some adjustments to really take it to the next level. Great job and hope the minicon was tons of fun!

I purchased this entire setup from an individual who purchased most of the parts here on the dented helmet. This prior owner was very close to my size, so I assumed that everything would be close to fitting me without much adjustment.

I am not currently looking for 501st approval, but I appreciate the tips, sincerely. Let me address a few of these just so you know how I got to this place (and why some of the issues you notice occurred).

1. Whoops! Thanks!
2. I have the boot armor, but did not utilize it this time.
3. Boots were simply some black boots that I already had. I wasn't as concerned with those being 10% correct.
4. I have a switch near the rocket, perhaps it didn't show up in the pics?
5. You are correct. When I purchased it, the previous owner told me that he lost the 1 dart and I have not attempted to replace it yet.
6. 10-4
7. I did not realize it needed to be tucked in, so that definitely helps. With that said, the belts were very loose and I am not sure why. I tried everything on at home and they seemed to be in the correct spot, but at the Mini-con, they were hanging down (and, to me, this was the worst part of how the cosplay looked on Saturday).
8. You are correct, I did not realize that looked so bad until I viewed these pictures.
9. Yes, this helmet was a second one that I bought. The helmet that I purchased as a part of this complete kit was clean and non-weathered. However, something fell on the helmet and warped it. I am still trying to repair it, but had this 2nd one to use for this event.
10. It does look a little too shiny in these pictures, perhaps in person as well.
11. I don't think it is, but it may have been.

As far as the issues that I had....it was more than finding the specific issues as you did. Parts were literally popping off (knee darts, for example) and falling apart (both gauntlets).

Again, thank you! Even though I have no plans for 501st right now, I appreciate the details, sincerely! Also provides me some ideas to fine-tune this!

No clue, I may try it!

I purchased this entire setup from an individual who purchased most of the parts here on the dented helmet. This prior owner was very close to my size, so I assumed that everything would be close to fitting me without much adjustment.

I am not currently looking for 501st approval, but I appreciate the tips, sincerely. Let me address a few of these just so you know how I got to this place (and why some of the issues you notice occurred).

1. Whoops! Thanks!
2. I have the boot armor, but did not utilize it this time.
3. Boots were simply some black boots that I already had. I wasn't as concerned with those being 10% correct.
4. I have a switch near the rocket, perhaps it didn't show up in the pics?
5. You are correct. When I purchased it, the previous owner told me that he lost the 1 dart and I have not attempted to replace it yet.
6. 10-4
7. I did not realize it needed to be tucked in, so that definitely helps. With that said, the belts were very loose and I am not sure why. I tried everything on at home and they seemed to be in the correct spot, but at the Mini-con, they were hanging down (and, to me, this was the worst part of how the cosplay looked on Saturday).
8. You are correct, I did not realize that looked so bad until I viewed these pictures.
9. Yes, this helmet was a second one that I bought. The helmet that I purchased as a part of this complete kit was clean and non-weathered. However, something fell on the helmet and warped it. I am still trying to repair it, but had this 2nd one to use for this event.
10. It does look a little too shiny in these pictures, perhaps in person as well.
11. I don't think it is, but it may have been.

As far as the issues that I had....it was more than finding the specific issues as you did. Parts were literally popping off (knee darts, for example) and falling apart (both gauntlets).

Again, thank you! Even though I have no plans for 501st right now, I appreciate the details, sincerely! Also provides me some ideas to fine-tune this!

Your girth belt should start around 1-2 inches below your ab plate. As you can see in this image. Also you can see how the flak vest is tucked under the girth belt. Jango doesn't flaunt his midriff as his son Boba does lol
latest?cb=20070209183613.jpg

Here is a nice visual aide in help determine chest plate placement that I was given to help me with that.
52f2be98623687ca4fd59693680ffde8.jpg

Notice how all the angles line up with each other? There is also a larger gap between the ab and pec plates that what you have. Once you have the correct spacing on your plates, it will help with placement on your girth and ammo belt.

Your knee darts popping off, how are they attached? I literally glued mine into place with 2 part epoxy. Those puppies aren't going anywhere.

How are your gauntlets assembled that they are falling apart while trooping?

Some very fine steel wool (like 0000 grade) could be used to dull your flak vest. Test it out first on a section that is covered by armor and see if you like the results.

Your flight suit can be lightened with highly diluted bleach solution. Like a 1/20 ratio of bleach to water. Keep in mind that you can always lighten it again with a bleach solution but if you go to far you will have to add color back in with fabric dyes. So error on the side of caution. Commercial lighteners are also available. If you do believe you have gone too far then it isn't the end of the world as the "blurple" color can be attained with RIT fabric dye. A mixture light blue, pearl grey, and purple will make it. That "blurple" color is a hard one to get.

Accurate boots are difficult to come by. There is a maker of reproduction boots in Ecuador if you'd like to get a more accurate pair. His turnaround times can be long though and his communication leaves something to be desired. If you want to use the boots you currently have, you can use some Silver Leaf Rub N Buff to add the silver parts along the sole of the boot. Mimicking the following photo as best as possible.
full?d=0.jpg

BF6370b-silver-leaf-rub-n-buff.jpg

Something else I just noticed is that it looks as though your shin armors are sliding down and almost falling off. They need to come up some. Scroll back up to the very first Jango pic I posted to see proper placement of the shins.

Hope these help. Im sure there are others here with an even sharper eye than I that can also toss in some pointers. Happy Hunting!

THANK YOU very much for all the constructive critiques! As I stated to you in PM, I am truly appreciative for the assistance and knowledge!

And yes, my shin plates were not staying put at all. I may not have placed them on very well or in the proper spot, as you stated.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back