Armor Attachment Method: Jewelry Pins with Clutch Backs.

I'm really considering doing this to. I like having the armor mounted the screen accurate way with the grommets and bolts but this is so useful since it can be adjusted super easy and doesn't punch holes in the vest.

I'm really considering doing this to. I like having the armor mounted the screen accurate way with the grommets and bolts but this is so useful since it can be adjusted super easy and doesn't punch holes in the vest.

Keep in mind, it does in fact punch holes in the vest...it is a pin that must puncture the vest in order for the clutch back to attach and lock it to the fabric. However, the holes are very, very small in comparison to bolts and grommets. If you want to keep your vest in perfect, hole-less, tact, I would recommend the magnet tutorial.

The main reason I went this route besides it being really easy to position the armor where you want and just pushing the pin through the fabric, I wanted the option to be able to upgrade or change armor in the future without having to buy a new vest. I would recommend taking the time to find the desired positioning so that you do have as few tiny holes in the vest as possible.

I will try and post some pictures of the size holes these pins will leave tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to do the clutch kind. Screw the set screw action. One more thing to lose

That is a good point. Although, one could use lock tight on the set screws and they shouldn't come loose or undone.

Oh I understand that its going to have to make some small holes but like you said it's much smaller and much less permanent than grommets. Another plus is it's lighter than magnets to. I had narrowed my options down to either magnets or grommets since I have no desire to use Velcro and this just seems to be a much better option for me than both of them. I may still use the grommets on the shoulder bells though so that they hang right.

Oh I understand that its going to have to make some small holes but like you said it's much smaller and much less permanent than grommets. Another plus is it's lighter than magnets to. I had narrowed my options down to either magnets or grommets since I have no desire to use Velcro and this just seems to be a much better option for me than both of them. I may still use the grommets on the shoulder bells though so that they hang right.

Yes, besides velcro, and it still may even compete with velcro, it is the lightest option. I think even using these on the shoulder bells allows them to hang right.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally doing this to my set... thanks for the info you little pioneer you

Absolutely Alex! Can't wait to see yours attached!

Guys, I had plans to use some super glue to hold my tacks in place while I put a little epoxy on there. The CA glue sure seemed to be holding them in place. I had roughed them up with some sandpaper. Do you think epoxy would just be overkill? No big deal to do it, but why do so if not. I may just give one or two a good tug and see what I think.

image.jpg1_24.jpg

Guys, I had plans to use some super glue to hold my tacks in place while I put a little epoxy on there. The CA glue sure seemed to be holding them in place. I had roughed them up with some sandpaper. Do you think epoxy would just be overkill? No big deal to do it, but why do so if not. I may just give one or two a good tug and see what I think.

image.gif

Overkill? No such thing when it comes to a trooping Boba Fett Suit in my mind. Personally, I would definitely use epoxy. If for nothing else but the ease of mind it's worth the extra waiting time. Looking good though! I should have known you would go with gold jewelry pins...you're just so classy! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Overkill? No such thing when it comes to a trooping Boba Fett Suit in my mind. Personally, I would definitely use epoxy. If for nothing else but the ease of mind it's worth the extra waiting time. Looking good though! I should have known you would go with gold jewelry pins...you're just so classy! ;)

image.jpg2_15.jpg

As you wish

what type and size are the pins? ear ring pins or some other name

image.gif

How is this working out for the shoulders? I'm happy with magnets for my chest armour so far, but I haven't decided what to do with the shoulders.

just for giggles...i ordered some 14mm wide ear ring pins. I like the wide base on them but the pin may be to long who knows just curious....

How is this working out for the shoulders? I'm happy with magnets for my chest armour so far, but I haven't decided what to do with the shoulders.

Mine worked out great! There's no way with the new clutch backs I posted earlier in this thread that they are coming off. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back from Chicago :)

- - - Updated - - -

just for giggles...i ordered some 14mm wide ear ring pins. I like the wide base on them but the pin may be to long who knows just curious....

Oooo! If you go this route I'd like to see pictures!

Oooo! If you go this route I'd like to see pictures!

also, I got my pins at Michaels...I'll put the link below. I also posted a link to the locking clutch backs earlier in this thread. I highly recommend using them.

jewelry pins

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back