ToEleven ESB to the GMH for gablesz

Thanks guys. The stripes can be tricky.

From what I've figured out is you need to blend a lot of yellow into the orange paint mix so the orange takes on a similar hue to the yellow. I'm using MM reefer yellow and MM international orange. There's possibly a better orange out there, but I used 2:1(ish) yellow to orange mix to get it right...sprayed over after the yellow from right to left. Then I went back over with yellow from left to right because I felt it was little too much orange.

Thanks guys. The stripes can be tricky.

From what I've figured out is you need to blend a lot of yellow into the orange paint mix so the orange takes on a similar hue to the yellow. I'm using MM reefer yellow and MM international orange. There's possibly a better orange out there, but I used 2:1(ish) yellow to orange mix to get it right...sprayed over after the yellow from right to left. Then I went back over with yellow from left to right because I felt it was little too much orange.

Thank you for the tip!! That makes a lot of sense actually.

Alright alright alright... We've got the dark gray/dark burgundy/Red layers down.

IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2923.JPG IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

The main part of the helmet is all topical from here on out.

So you have been using a layered method up till this point and then will go topical from here? I’ve noticed some painters doing all topical or all layered. What’s the pros cons of these methods?

Thanks hvacdon !!

So you have been using a layered method up till this point and then will go topical from here? I’ve noticed some painters doing all topical or all layered. What’s the pros cons of these methods?

The topical method gives you more control of the detail. The layered method leaves a nice even surface, and is the way the props were painted.

For me when I started out I didn't feel good with how some of the colors were looking when I brushed them on. I found a nice Fineline latex masking fluid bottle syringe that let me do masking without a lot of trouble, so I started doing most of the colors layered. The MM Chrome Silver enamel I use is really smooth to brush on, so that was a no-brainer for topical work...plus the silver with all the scratches and details really wouldn't fly with layered method IMO. There are also some transition areas on the cheeks and oddball colors that I do topically...they'd be a big pain to do layered.

Basically if you can get you hands on some old stock floquil and polly scale paint you can do all of it topically...I just don't have a great desire to run all of those down, but I'm told they lay down well (see any of superjedi's work...amazing). The Model Master line is kind of Testors answer to those old paints but they don't really measure up...plus they opted to can a bunch of the railroad colors so I've had to expirement mixing different colors to get what looks right.

Thanks hvacdon !!

The topical method gives you more control of the detail. The layered method leaves a nice even surface, and is the way the props were painted.

For me when I started out I didn't feel good with how some of the colors were looking when I brushed them on. I found a nice Fineline latex masking fluid bottle syringe that let me do masking without a lot of trouble, so I started doing most of the colors layered. The MM Chrome Silver enamel I use is really smooth to brush on, so that was a no-brainer for topical work...plus the silver with all the scratches and details really wouldn't fly with layered method IMO. There are also some transition areas on the cheeks and oddball colors that I do topically...they'd be a big pain to do layered.

Basically if you can get you hands on some old stock floquil and polly scale paint you can do all of it topically...I just don't have a great desire to run all of those down, but I'm told they lay down well (see any of superjedi's work...amazing). The Model Master line is kind of Testors answer to those old paints but they don't really measure up...plus they opted to can a bunch of the railroad colors so I've had to expirement mixing different colors to get what looks right.

Awesome that makes sense! Thanks for explaining. :)

Man I can’t wait to see this in person! ToEleven has been brilliant to work with. Communication has been top notch and as you can see his work is just gorgeous. If anyone is looking for this type of work I highly recommend.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back