Superjedi's GMH for Daniel Logan

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
If you're not aware, there are several members who are working on putting together an ESB costume for "young Boba Fett" himself--Daniel Logan! :D You can read about the project in this thread:
The Official Daniel Logan Project!! (Dressing Young Boba)

I'm pleased to say that I'll be doing the paint work on the helmet. I got to help with Jeremy Bulloch's costume back in 2008 (I did the paint work on the EE-3 and pistol), so this will be the 2nd time I get to help with dressing a real Boba Fett! I'm pretty excited.

The helmet is an excellent GMH kit, currently being produced by Skyfire. The casting is terrific, and there are some amazing accessories which are being donated by some very talented makers. The finished helmet will include a TerminalFettler RF kit, a Machinecraft aluminum stalk, as well as an aluminum Borden, a real MQ-1 circuit board, and a JC27 light kit. The thread I linked to above contains all the info on the contributors. Once I'm finished with the paint up, JBDubz will also be doing a servo install.
Daniel's lid will be pretty tricked out once it's done!

I've had the helmet for a while now, and it's been patiently waiting for me to finish up a couple of other commissions. But now. . . it's time to get to work! This first pic is the first "official" stage that I've done--prepping the ear parts. I did some very minor sanding, then drilled some holes to fit attachment hardware. These small machine screws are epoxied in place, and the ear cap has some magnets installed.

IMAG5318_1.jpg

I did a bit of cleanup on the helmet, which arrived with most of the prep done, and gave it a nice bath to remove any sanding dust. Here's the kit on my fancy work bench, lol.

IMAG5321_1.jpg

I got the helmet and ears in primer late yesterday, and here's a shot of how it looks today. . . along with some rudimentary instructions. ;)

IMAG5323_1.jpg

Once the primer is fully cured, I'll begin the color coats!

Thanks, Jess.

Got a couple more steps done. In these first 2 pics, I've stenciled the damage areas on the rear panels and applied masking fluid.

IMAG5341_1.jpg

IMAG5342_1.jpg

Next, I airbrushed on some RLM 73 green. And now it's finished! . . . Oh, it's not? Darn. ;)
IMAG5343_1.jpg

Once the masking fluid is removed, we're left with this.
IMAG5354_1.jpg

IMAG5355_1.jpg

Next, I'll go back with a fine brush and tweak the edges of the damage areas. I do this will all my commissions, just to make sure everything's as close to the original ESB as possible.

Got a couple more stages done over the last couple of days. I finished tweaking the edges of the damage areas and added the smaller details.
Here's two angles of the left panel.

IMAG5356_1.jpg

IMAG5358_1.jpg

I also did some "mechanical weathering" on the dark green portions using some steel wool. This gives an uneven appearance which simulates the way things look in the reference pics.
After that was done, I added the gray and silver damage, as well as some physical scratches. The left panel is now finished.

IMAG5359_1.jpg

IMAG5361_1.jpg

I'll work on the right panel next!

Oops, I thought I had posted some pics along the way. Guess I didn't.
I finished up the right panel a couple of days ago. That big silver scrape. . . sheesh! That's always a real eye-crosser.
Here are some shots of that section.

IMAG5369_1.jpg

IMAG5374_1.jpg

I laid down the base green for the dome and then started the dome damage. This first shot shows the "basic" shapes applied.

IMAG5380_1.jpg

I then began adding the fine scratches with my scribing tool.

IMAG5381_1.jpg

Using those as a map, I added more silver detail using my 18/0 brush.

IMAG5382_1.jpg

The silver served as landmarks to add the final round of fine physical scratches, as seen in the next pic.

IMAG5383_1.jpg

So now the rear portion of the dome is done! I'll start working around toward the RF ear next.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back