General Starting Zem Outfit

rdieken

New Hunter
I am going to start on a Zem outfit, this is my first time doing anything like this, so should be fun. I am looking for some things: 1) greebies patterns, 2) Helmet pattern, 3) Gauntlets pattern, 4) Shin Armor pattern, 5) foot Armor. I tried to find the pepakura puzzle for the helmet but never got an answer from the guy, if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate any help.

Read the threads, you'll find some of what you want there. Also, get on The Bounty Hunter's Guild site and look through those as well. As for Fierfek, he's alot like other guys who build props and such, sometimes they're eyeball deep in things and it may take a day or two for them to get back with you.

I managed to message him via Facebook, and he sounded interested in a resin cast run if there is enough interest. Beats me how many that would be.

He also mentioned he'd be willing to make a "high-resolution Zam helmet 3D print file." You'd have to print it yourself.

I got started to find all parts and pieces, I am going to get the helmet pepakura puzzle soon and will start with that. what did others use for helmet, fiber glass or resin or bondo? I just don't want something that will hurt my head at all.

I used fiberglass with resin. I tried using bondo since it's softer and easier to sand down. But after getting the helmet made, I found it made mine heavier and filled too much (couldn't get my head in it comfortably). Basically, I sanded off all the bondo except whatever stayed on to fill any deep gashes/spaces I may have had. When it was all done, I used bicycle helmet padding inside of it for the places that need padded.

I found a vest that might work for my Zem costume. It has pockets on it, does it matter? I was also wanting to know if the bodysuit has to be made with neoprene? does anyone know?

No pockets.
I got my material from Jabbadashery.
Zam Wessell Fabric | Jabbadashery

Most people buy between 2 to 3 meters of it. I've heard there are sellers in the USA that sells material similar, but are not the exact material that is used on the actual costume. Depends on how close you want to be to the right fabric and how much you can afford. It took me a while to pony up for Jabbadashery, but I found it worth the cost.

I need to know what kind of leather the skirt made from and what are the sizes of the pieces for the skirt? I have seen like 3 different sizes but is there a certain specific size to go off of?

I was hoping others would chime in for you on this. Doesn't look good for me to be the only one guiding you. Anyone else want to give a hand?

When you come to TDH and look into this part of the forum, at the top are select threads that give very, very, very good advice regarding the leather. The skirting thread even gives a breakdown on cut, sizing, and leather weight. Leather weight can vary depending on how comfortable you are with leatherworking. You want at least a medium to heavyweight so it'll keep it's shape. I'd advise against sole/armor leather as it's tough to work with for someone new at it. The skirting thread also discusses the colors they used to dye Zam leather, though I chose to simplify mine by airbrushing with midnight blue, purple, and a hint of brown-black for the "dirty" places.

Seriously, read those stickied threads. It may take a while to get through them, but there is certain information that I can't really relay to you in a couple of quick posts. There are fantastic images of the actual costume to be found in the gallery section too.

I have a question, I was working on my skirt today with just paper to make sure I get the right size. does anyone know if it matters if you add to the rows or columns? like instead of 12 or 13 across, make it 14 or 15 across and 13 down to like 14 down?

No pockets.
I got my material from Jabbadashery.
Zam Wessell FabricÂ*|Â*Jabbadashery

Most people buy between 2 to 3 meters of it. I've heard there are sellers in the USA that sells material similar, but are not the exact material that is used on the actual costume. Depends on how close you want to be to the right fabric and how much you can afford. It took me a while to pony up for Jabbadashery, but I found it worth the cost.

I just sent a message to them and they will not be making anymore of the Zam neoprene until they can get alot of people wanting it and they need to make it in a really big batch. so I am going to substitute it with regular clothes instead since can't get the purple neoprene, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I am going to use leggings for pants and look for a stretchy shirt too. please any suggestions would help me. ty

Oh, man! I am so sorry to hear this. This sort of thing is another difficult hurdle and hoop for scratch builders. And unlike Boba (and to a lesser extent Jango), there just isn't several people wanting to make this costume, so the wait for the exact material might be a long time. I know somewhere in these Zam threads is some suggestions on other fabric to use. I cannot think what the name of the seller is right now, and I do not know what would be acceptable for a substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
got my helmet pepakura yesterday now to try and get the size right. I also got the sizes right for skirt too, now to get the leather to work on it too. It is so hard to find the boots because it seems everyone wants them even in my shoe size but the smaller ones are still there, that is on Ebay.

Yes, the boots are a nightmare. Mine are half size small, but I can use them because they were secondhand and the leather is flexible.

Yes, the boots are a nightmare. Mine are half size small, but I can use them because they were secondhand and the leather is flexible.

yes but when you have big feet like me that needs size 11 in women's shoes, it makes it even harder to find. my helmet coming along but trying to find right size before printing on card stock. as soon as I get if figured out, I will post pictures. ty everyone for your help.

Helmet done but I may redo it.

20160228_145826.jpg20160228_145841.jpg

I hope your first one is scaled right and is perfect.

I made it three times before I got it right. But then again, my first was a mangled job since I'd never heardof pepakura, let alone know how to make something from one.

nope, have to redo it and scale it again. I made 4 out of regular paper first but did this card stock and it ended up being to big and some of it is a mess because of all the small pieces.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back