SarlaccSlayer14's ROTJ Build

In happier news, my helper came by tonight so I was able to finally get a pic of my armor placement with the flak vest completely closed in the back. I still plan to lift the shoulders just a bit, and hopefully confirm with some measurements about the width of my collar and see if that’s going to be a problem. It lines up perfectly with my backplate, which will be drilled and fitted in the next couple days after being trimmed and sanded today.

Any feedback on placement is welcomed! Paint is unfinished (awaiting the thaw).

84830000-E403-4D4C-8F73-6F72C444FF38.jpeg

Thanks. Honestly, it’s the only shipping mishap I’ve had along this adventure. I ended up going with a rubber EE-3 from HFX, so the postal service can throw that box around as much as they please!

Bro, I’m so sorry to see that jetpack like that mate. I guess it’s always a concern when getting some of these items in the mail and how fragile they really are. But, great pick on the HFX blaster, I swear by mine and it’s just amazing to troop with. Maybe eventually I’ll get a real EE3 for the mantle piece though I doubt I’ll ever troop with it. I am digging the build! Always nice seeing something other then ESB ;)

Bro, I’m so sorry to see that jetpack like that mate. I guess it’s always a concern when getting some of these items in the mail and how fragile they really are. But, great pick on the HFX blaster, I swear by mine and it’s just amazing to troop with. Maybe eventually I’ll get a real EE3 for the mantle piece though I doubt I’ll ever troop with it. I am digging the build! Always nice seeing something other then ESB ;)

Thanks!

Same. I’d love to have a bronze one for the mantle one day.

I’m realizing my build strategy has slowly shifted from wanting things as awesome and realistic as possible, to wanting things as unbreakabke as possible. Haha

id take back the return edge on the armor..should only be about 1/8th inch. Its making the armor look too thick.

Hmmm the collar does appear to be small. My honest opinion, you should probably replace the chest/ab/collar and back with pieces from animefan or Wasted Fett. Although RKDs armor is probably the best quality out there, i always felt the shapes were a touch off on the chest pieces and the return edges slope slightly outward rather than straight back which i feel gives it an odd look. I think Animefan or WF's armor would fit you better in the chest/chest collar. I know thats not the answer you wanna hear, but i think it would get you to the best look possible.

id take back the return edge on the armor..should only be about 1/8th inch. Its making the armor look too thick.

Hmmm the collar does appear to be small. My honest opinion, you should probably replace the chest/ab/collar and back with pieces from animefan or Wasted Fett. Although RKDs armor is probably the best quality out there, i always felt the shapes were a touch off on the chest pieces and the return edges slope slightly outward rather than straight back which i feel gives it an odd look. I think Animefan or WF's armor would fit you better in the chest/chest collar. I know thats not the answer you wanna hear, but i think it would get you to the best look possible.

So you’re telling me my shoulders and cod are good!

Haha. You know I always appreciate honest feedback! While I definitely want the best look possible, I don’t think I have at any huge “show-stoppers” at this point and can consider this my Mark I. As I progress, I’d love to meet other Fetts and see (in person) how the shape and size of their armor compares to my own and upgrade along the way as needed on the quest for ultimate accuracy. I did try and stick with 3mm all the way around, but sometimes just went with the natural flow of the plastic. I will take another look at the edges.

I really do appreciate the feedback!

Got my MoW harness the other day and started playing with the straps and hardware tonight. I plan to get in on Big Dane’s next run for the accurate metal harness, so this soft harness will only be temporary for a few early events I’m planning for. I’m using 1.5” white canvas webbing for the shoulder straps (recommended by DV8r) and will pop some rivets into those pieces later this week. Did I read somewhere that the straps should be more of a cream color, or is it just weathering on white?

Tonight I also expoxied the inserts in my knees and they’ll get their final trim and paint once my metal darts from Dakota arrive and are test fitted/drilled. The inserts included with RKD’s knee armor really add a lot more stability to these fragile pieces.

Also received my decals from Delucks Designs. The weather should improve this weekend so I’m looking forward to touching up some paint and getting those in place.

Forward movement!

4ADA81B5-836B-4E41-B3F5-66D260A9A1F8.jpeg

FF03788D-F658-48E9-890F-81301A1D35FE.jpeg

is the MOW harness any good ?

I’ve not yet hooked my pack onto it so I can’t speak for its comfort under weight, but it does fit nicely under my vest with a low profile and the quality is top notch.

It’s not screen-accurate, and I will eventually upgrade to an accurate metal frame harness with crossbar, but this one suits my needs for now.

The only problem I foresee with the MOW harness is it puts the entire load on your shoulders and they may get sore after a long troop. The good thing about the screen accurate, metal frame harness is it takes some of the load off your shoulders and rests it on your hips. Although the waist strap sits a little high to support the majority of the weight, which would be best, it does help some.

Last edited:
The only problem I foresee with the MOW harness is it puts the entire load on your shoulders and they may get sore after a long troop. The good thing about the screen accurate, metal frame harness is it takes some of the load off your shoulders and rests it on your hips. Although the waist strap sits a little high to support the majority of the weight, which would be best, it does help some.

Based on my research that definitely seems to be the consensus. I picked up the MoW harness so I would have a solution for a couple of events early this year, since I have no idea when the next Big Dane run will open, or go into production and ship. I figured that a harness in the hand is worth two accurate harnesses in the bush!

Last edited:
I made my own harness. They are probably the easiest thing to scratch build, as far as this costume goes. Not sure if you have considered this or not, but there are some good tutorials here on TDH. I can also help you out if you have any questions.

I made my own harness. They are probably the easiest thing to scratch build, as far as this costume goes. Not sure if you have considered this or not, but there are some good tutorials here on TDH. I can also help you out if you have any questions.

Thanks! It’s really nothing I’ve considered but I’ll take a look, and thanks for the tip!

During a few minutes of downtime, I borrowed an idea from DeathProof and others to attach my gauntlet hoses up my sleeve using a key-ring, and in my case a small screw and nut. My awesome Arkady suit came with the quick-release clip already sewn-in, so hurray for small victories!

Pardon the mirror shot - hoses are on my right arm. They’ll get weathered soon, and now I’m just waiting on a package from DVH so I have something to attach them to!

5AC3F390-8D30-4229-83BA-3AC29216BFD6.jpeg

7F729D2D-1C2F-4EE0-BE99-A94E5EA05525.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back