Rubies Helmet for beginner

SexyNerdGirl

New Hunter
Welp! Looks like I’m gonna end up buying a cheap rubies helmet after all :notworthy:. I figured instead of spending $200-$300 on a helmet for my first project, I’d rather start off small. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, the guy I was originally going to order my GMH helmet from ended up closing his shop on Etsy. I have no idea why. I’ll just have my boyfriend repaint the entire helmet and turn it into an ESB, that and I’d have to change the visor because it’s too clear. I don’t really care if the rangefinder is short or not. Cosplaying as Fett is a real pain in the ass! Lol

Your going about it a lil wrong. You will end up frustrated trust me I’ve been there. Hit up wasted Fett about getting a gmh. It’s worth the money to do it right. There are a ton of helpful people with great information here. If you cut corners you will end up spending twice as much replacing crap with good stuff later as you get further into it. I wish I would have done that to begin with.

If you're looking for a "test" run helmet the Target/Rubies helmet on Amazon is a good way to go. There are members here that actually make replacement stalks for the length. It will build confidence to tackle a real (non esty) helmet next!

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. I wasn’t even planning on breaking the helmet down into different pieces to have it painted in the first place. Just paint over it.

If you're looking for a "test" run helmet the Target/Rubies helmet on Amazon is a good way to go. There are members here that actually make replacement stalks for the length. It will build confidence to tackle a real (non esty) helmet next!
Would you suggest sanding it down first before painting over it with the new matte paints?

I think the expensive helmets are nice but not so well made.
how do you mean? The fiberglass helmets available here on tdh or even the resin ones are nothing short of impressive in terms of construction... i could probably stand on a gelcoat helmet from some of the makers here without it breaking(not that i would try lol) but better than a rubies or target helmet in terms of construction the expensive helmets are definetly made well.. they are the best you can get. at least that is how i feel on the topic im curious why you feel how you do about it

Would you suggest sanding it down first before painting over it with the new matte paints?
it wouldnt hurt to do so alot of those mass produced things have a finish to them that isnt very accepting of new paint i would personally recomend going over it lightly with something like 320 grit sand paper and priming it before you get started

not sure about that, as I've rebuilt the Hasbro helmet and its visor using pvc foamex boarding cut to shape and now glued in place and boat resin filler for any gaps and all without cutting the helmet apart as witnessed on utube which was just long winded and painful to watch there are ways of getting to a good job with out wreaking things and personally I think the expensive helmets are nice but not so well made.

Did you seriously just suggest using a Hasbro helmet in place of an accurate cast helmet?

That Hasbro helmet, even with the seen modifications, would never pass as a replica or 501st qualifications with an "accurate" paint job.

The only helmet that could come close to passing would be the rubies/target helmet with some modifications. The question remains with such a flimsy and inaccurate base why would you make the effort with such a complicated paint up to paint it on there? For practice I would totally understand. Any other purpose would seem like a waste.

Id say either save up your money for a replica cast from someone here... Id say wasted fett....its the best available as a girl Id say a GMH which is from Skyfire that wasted fett is making right now for him till hes able to again.

However several other makers make helmet kits and theyre MUCH better then a hasbro in EVERY way. Even the Rubies. I have PERSONALLY painted a rubies for a client and it came out GREAT. To the common person on the street it looks like Fett. To someone here.... youd notice it looks WEIRD. The ears are wrong the mandibles are wrong the dome is wrong the dent is wrong basically EVERYTHING is wrong. Less so then the Hasbro. Which is a childs toy, not even for a costume for adults.

Youll catch the bug of accuracy and youll look back and say... "what was I thinking?"

Or you can say " Dang Im glad I saved my hard earned money and didnt buy that crap"

Interesting that classof1984 shut down. Wonder if he got hit with a CnD or something.

Anyway, sounds like you're in for the fun of it and having a nice costume; a rubies should be perfectly fine for that, especially if you were considering the GMH for the smaller size. I'd say just have fun gettin it painted up, and if later on down the line you end up chasing the accuracy bug you'll at least have some good practice. We're a bit too much of an enthusiast club for our own good sometimes here, but it's completely just from a sense of everyone wanting to make sure you get a high quality helm for your money, not any ill will.

Last edited:
20171005_115629.jpg
20171005_115621.jpg
20180402_105143.jpg
20180402_105254.jpg
20180402_105344.jpg

I painted it disassembled. It was a lot easier for me. The only reason I went with rubies is do to my over sized head. Other buckets I purchased were putting too much pressure on my face and cheeks.
20171005_115629.jpg
20171005_115621.jpg
20180402_105143.jpg
20180402_105254.jpg
20180402_105344.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back