Rubies 65004 upgrade

Banjo Fett

New Hunter
Hello and pleasure to meet you all, TDH.

My name is Dave and I've been following this site for most of my life in hopes of one day building/ painting a bucket of my own.

Since my painting and carpentry skills are that of an amateur, I thought I could start off with a Rubie's model 65004 model. I have already placed the order for the helmet as well as a replacement visor and some helmet pads. I know this helmet wont look as good as any of the FP fiberglass buckets out there, but hey its worth a shot to start off with a cheap model and practice the painting and all. I am attempting to paint a ROTJ color scheme by sanding the helmet, heating and shaping the soft-ish bucket, priming and finally painting. This is just to get the general feel in order to work on a fiberglass model a while later.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice for a young apprentice of the dark side of the force?

Careful with the sanding and (depending on the type of paint you use) the thinner. When I first started, I dug out my old childhood rubies bucket to practice on. If memory serves, the casting was a bit thin at points. Either way I ruined it. Live and learn.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back