ROTJ Paint Up, Helmet by Artakha

Starting to get back to it following the set backs. Still not sure how I feel about it. Starting to think I may need to do the lower cheek again.

Yeah it's easy to see you've been getting better at tighter masking as you've been going along, the upper cheeks are lot better than the initial lower cheek. Probally a bit more trouble than it's worth to redo it now that the uppers are done too though. And plus, you'll probably get even more comfortable with things later on and wanna redo it a third or fourth time :D

looking good. What paint are you using?
Thanks! I’m using humbrol enamels. Trying to use match as best I can using Jayvee’s formulas.

Yeah it's easy to see you've been getting better at tighter masking as you've been going along, the upper cheeks are lot better than the initial lower cheek. Probally a bit more trouble than it's worth to redo it now that the uppers are done too though. And plus, you'll probably get even more comfortable with things later on and wanna redo it a third or fourth time :D
Lol I’ve actually stripped it all again, and will be starting again in a few days when I have the time off. No set schedule makes getting into a rhythm difficult! I got a set of silicone shaper brushes so the masking should be even tighter. Fingers crossed.

The list that Javee has is execellent, but some of the colors aren't available anymore. I've spent a lot of time researching equivalent colors for some of them.

Back in the paint saddle again. I grabbed some much needed silicone tip brushes to do the masking. They’re much easier than fighting with a standard brush. Tomorrow will see the next layers for the lower cheeks.

BCC7915D-117E-4CB0-B243-F6BE9A84B5CB.jpeg

C909FBA1-33B2-4750-AF51-31E111738435.jpeg

RIP all that poor masking tape lol. Good move though on switching to the low-tac stuff, lot better for preventing lifting. After the initial lifting issues I had on my first paint-up I've actually gotten so paranoid that I fold my tape over on itself or attach it to some kraft paper so that only a thin edge actually sticks to the piece. Can't be too careful.

Last edited:
RIP all that poor masking tape lol. Good move though on switching to the low-tac stuff, lot better for preventing lifting. After the initial lifting issues I had on my first paint-up I've actually gotten so paranoid that I fold my tape over on itself or attach it to some kraft paper so that only a thin edge actually sticks to the piece. Can't be too careful.
That’s probably a good idea with the paper. This is actually the same tape that peeled up the first application lol. It seems I didn’t properly prep the silver layer first. Turns out silver rattle can leaves an exceptionally smooth finish. Fingers crossed I fixed the issue!

Lower cheeks are done minus a few topical applications! Well, that and a little bit of dirtying it up. I just gotta let it dry, and I can get back at it tomorrow morning when I get off work.

6F59D675-BB98-498A-AD05-B93AB49A9F6D.jpeg

1BEE1FCF-43B6-405A-91B3-3D050FAF9F41.jpeg

79A82B48-DDAD-4E0D-9819-AFCCFD49B2E7.jpeg

I use frog tape. Might want to try that. Never had it pull up any paint. And I’ve damn near wrapped my lid with it.
Thanks! I’ll have to check it out since my current roll is dwindling.
Looking great Soundwave :)
Thank you!
This is awesome. I see that you might put a rangefinder servo in it, Right?
Thank you, and I really hope to. I cut everything out in anticipation for a servo kit as well as the light kit I have. Unfortunately, Jc27 doesn’t have a supplier for the servos needed in his kit which means my rangefinder will be powered manually for now lol.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back