Question about HIC build—

zsherman

Active Hunter
Hey everyone! So I’m finally gonna do it. A friend of mine is a master woodworker and we are gonna take the plunge and build a HIC from scratch. We are going to use the blueprints/plans here from the forum and not a kit. But I have a few questions I can’t seem to be able to find answers to and I’d appreciate some help from the community.

First, I was hoping to get the new run of the full carbonite Solo rubber front. But I have no idea how to paint rubber and make it stick and not flake if touched or bent. I tried looking on the net, but it’s like hunting for a needle in a planet-sized haystack out there. Anyone done this before? Any suggestions or tips on process or materials?

Also, the info on the control boxes is amazing, but does anyone have anything (info/pics) on what goes into the top and botttom holes? And if so, would you mind sharing what and where I can get those?

These may sound like rookie questions to some of you, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

You should paint the rubber after you have glued it to the block, so the rubber will not flake from the flexing. I used a plastic primer on mine before painting. I am not sure if that is even needed. Hopefully, not too many people will touch it, but I have displayed mine and it got touched and paint did not flake off.

The more difficult thing is what medium to use to blend the rubber with the box. I used Bondo, which was too hard and pulled away. Use silicon caulk to fill in the space between the rubber and the box. It will not fit exactly and the caulk will adhere to the wood as well as it will adhere to the rubber. Bondo adhered well to the wood, but not the rubber and as the rubber expanded and contracted, it exposed unpainted areas.

When painting, paint the box first, then use painter's tape and plastic tarp to blind off the box and paint Han. Or you can use one color for the whole thing. Most people use two colors. Then weather it all together, which will make it blend a bit.

You should paint the rubber after you have glued it to the block, so the rubber will not flake from the flexing. I used a plastic primer on mine before painting. I am not sure if that is even needed. Hopefully, not too many people will touch it, but I have displayed mine and it got touched and paint did not flake off.

The more difficult thing is what medium to use to blend the rubber with the box. I used Bondo, which was too hard and pulled away. Use silicon caulk to fill in the space between the rubber and the box. It will not fit exactly and the caulk will adhere to the wood as well as it will adhere to the rubber. Bondo adhered well to the wood, but not the rubber and as the rubber expanded and contracted, it exposed unpainted areas.

When painting, paint the box first, then use painter's tape and plastic tarp to blind off the box and paint Han. Or you can use one color for the whole thing. Most people use two colors. Then weather it all together, which will make it blend a bit.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, that’s great advice.

So does anyone have reference for the top and bottom? I’ve seen “buckets” before but have no idea where to buy them. Ideas?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back