"Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

One question, Has anyone tried using the Humbrol Metalcote sprays for the exposed metal?

i mix 1:1, polished aluminum metalcote 27002 with silver 11 to give it that extra metallic shimmer. worked out very well, especially after sealing it up.

Sent from my R2 unit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, jbdubz! I was thinking that it might really add a little umph to it. I'll include it in my paint order (as soon as they get it back in stock...)

Thanks, jbdubz! I was thinking that it might really add a little umph to it. I'll include it in my paint order (as soon as they get it back in stock...)

if you're painting ESB you may want to check out Darth Voorhees' armor re-paint thread. he hits the armor base color right on the head with the 78/76 mix. i found a lot of opportunities for updated colors using other threads, this one is like the pirate code, more what you'd call "guidelines". lol trust in the reference pictures and make sure to test colors before using this list as gospel.

Sent from my R2 unit

Again, thanks for the info. With all of these guides and input from members, approaching the idea of painting this myself is far less intimidating. I still have to fine trim and sand the whole set and prep the helmet for a re-paint before jumping in. I'll keep everything posted on my WIP thread as the build progresses.

I was referring to the Rattlecan being out of stock. Didn't really even think about picking it up in a bottle. Thanks for the heads up. I have some paint shopping to do!

Thanks for the visual guide. Very useful. Is there any real difference between using Humbrol Acrylics or Enamels when airbrushing? Are the colour numbers the same for both?

Thanks for the visual guide. Very useful. Is there any real difference between using Humbrol Acrylics or Enamels when airbrushing? Are the colour numbers the same for both?
As someone who just recently bought 50$ worth of humbrol acrylics I'd strongly advise against it, they all ended up being junk and bad pots. I ended up getting a full refund and going with tamiya acrylics. I'd stick with humbrol enamel if you're going with humbrol.

As someone who just recently bought 50$ worth of humbrol acrylics I'd strongly advise against it, they all ended up being junk and bad pots. I ended up getting a full refund and going with tamiya acrylics. I'd stick with humbrol enamel if you're going with humbrol.
Thanks Cat. Good to know. Pretty new to airbrushing so I definitely give enamels a go first I think.

Just updated the main post with the 1:1 76/78 Green for ESB armor and added a link for Darth Voorhees ESB Armor re-paint as refrence.
Been alot less active here during 2015, hope to get some updates done to the files in 2016.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back