My HIC build. TheFiVe0

Don't worry brother, you're not by yourself. There's not many wives that would appreciate a Han in Carbonite on their wall. That's why guys have man caves !!!
:D:cool:

Last edited:
What is the most popular thing to use for the "carbonite" look that covers the wood paneling? Bondo, Spackle, Wood glue, other???
I’m using Elmer’s glue. I’ve read a few other threads on here with it and I just wanted to try it. The bondo would have been more expensive and harder to deal with I think. Lots of sanding. I’m hoping the glue will just work itself into place better.

These are are a series of videos of the “Carbonite “ layering for the final effect. It took a long time for the main glue to dry so I had to wait.

Anyway i just spread the glue at different depths and then manipulated it around with a piece of card board. I’m now waiting for this to dry. Fingers crossed.

[video=youtube_share;Xb9ukmr-Lm8]

[video=youtube_share;y8Y5gFaeEzU]

[video=youtube_share;RRbXVHt-HlM]

[video=youtube_share;77t2qpgx304]

I am also cutting out some metal sheets to fill in the panels. I found that I just can’t get the chrome paint to look right.

A8DF7FF8-9E6E-4E2D-9EBB-438A66DD9785.jpeg

Last edited:
This should be the third and final coat of the glue to create the carbonite effect. As long as it looks good tomorrow I think I will be onto sanding and painting han.

I also replaced aced the panel openings on the sides and filled the gaps so it looks more seem less when the panels are put back in.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Hmmm... I have a piece of sheet metal but haven't cut it yet. I was thinking of making one solid backing piece, but you made many smaller pieces. What is the advantage of that? Seems like it might be a little more work, but would probably fit flatter.

Some panel work. I’ve been cutting out the sheet metal to fit the panel. It looks a little more authentic I think.
Hmmm... I have a piece of sheet metal but haven't cut it yet. I was thinking of making one solid backing piece, but you made many smaller pieces. What is the advantage of that? Seems like it might be a little more work, but would probably fit flatter.

I tried to make one solid back also. The problem is trying to get it to stay secured.

The advantage to filling in with the individual pieces is that it applies directly to the existing backing. It’s way more secure and leaves no gaps.

Looking Really NICE there 5-0 !! Would it be possible to cut out the openings in the panel and put one oversize piece of metal that would cover everything and epoxy it in place on the perimeter and any other areas ?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back