Mandalorian Mercs Custom Mandalorian Costume Club.

Just tossing this up on here. We've been working hard on updating the armor standards/requirements for official membership into Mandalorian Mercs. Armor classes accepted into Mercs revolve around the 4 eras of Mandalorians in Star Wars canon.

Eras-1.png

Crusader and Modern era armor does allow for a light/medium/heavy configuration while Early and Neo-Crusader allow for only one configuration which is set as standard. Canon armor such as Boba/Jango/Jodo/Jaster are all approved according to 501st's standards. Mand'alors such as Indomitable/Ultimate/Preserver are approved based on a collection of comic and art references (which we have available on the Mercs boards). EU characters such as Tobbi Dala and Fenn Shysa are approved based on comics and toy representations as well as the Cuy'Val Dar mandalorians released by Entertainment Earth.

Oh yes, and novaltallon, that is an amazing helmet ya got yerself there...
Which category does it fall into? It looks like a cross between early and modern...

To join the mercs, do you have to have a certain design of backplate?
Heck, do you have to have a backplate at all?
And are cod-pieces required, with knee guards and shin guards and all that?

Hey, I'm A'den, the Club's Personell Officer, equivalent to the 501st's LML. I'll answer your questions...

1. We do accept applicant's under the age of 18. We called them Verd'ika. Parental consent is required.

2. His helmet is the MSC, Marrow Sun custom. Only 11 were made that i'm aware of and all are proudly owned. Novall wears his with a Modern Era set of Supercommando armor. However, based on research, I would say that helmet would be just as aceptable on a Late Crusader kit as well.

3. A back covering is required for Official Membership with the club be it Fett style, custom or a cape.

Come check out our site and join our forums. We are close nit with TDH we just specialize in custom Mando's rather than Fett's.

www.mandalorianmercs.com

That answers a lot of my questions...
Thanks.
Are rubies 2 pieces allowed?
My armor is plastic, not fiberglass or anything 'dangerous' (According to my dad, fiberglass can give you this weird disease if you wear it).
And Sadly, I only have thigh armor, which is my own design. Is that not allowed? Do I need knee and shin armor, too?

It would be best to get on the site and post up pix of what you have. we allow a variety of materials to be used metal, fiberglass, sintra, a variety of plastics, leather etc. some are era or detail specific though. custom designs are always welcome as long as 1. you can recognize it as a mandalorian and 2. it matches the era selected.

as fir the helmet, you likely need access to the mercs forums to see it but, we have a great helmet buying and sizing tutorial http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=13291.0

we also have all of our crl's posted there, for all 4 era's novalls post showed as well as the 501st kits. it's alot of info to post here especially when its all up at mercs already.

come check it out.

Rubies 2-pieces are allowed, so long as you've done the work to make them look good, such as eliminating the seam and putting a bracer ring in the back.

Plastic armour is fine, too. Biggest concern is that, whatever it's made from, it is well-fitted and not flopping around on you. And the point of it being a "custom" is that you can have armour wherever you want -- or not -- so long as the minimum coverage A'Den mentioned above is seen to. If you don't want shins, don't do shins. :p

As for fiberglass, wear a respirator and skin and eye protection when handling it or cutting/grinding/sanding it, but once it's coated and painted, it's fine.

--Jonah

Right...
Umm...How do I eliminate the seam between the two pieces of the helmet?
And what's a bracer ring?

(And this is my 100th post)
HOORAY :D:D :D :D!

Right...
Umm...How do I eliminate the seam between the two pieces of the helmet?
And what's a bracer ring?

(And this is my 100th post)
HOORAY :D:D :D :D!

Again, you're askign for alot of informtaion. Way to much for this info post about the Mercs site. We have several tutorials on helmet mods over at mercs. Please check out the site. Also, several members here on TDH have done it as well. You can use the search feature here and at Mercs to get that info.

In all honesty though, unless you're a slight framed female or an early teens male, I would NOT recommend using the 2 piece Jango. No matter how much you mod it, it's still going to have that "toy" look to it. Ive seen some VERY well done 2 piece Jango's that don't have the toy look because the builder took the time and expense to mod the rubbish ear caps and RF in addition to the seam and visor replacement. However, the problem that persists is that the helmet is too small for most adult male and females. Even if it fully covers your chin, which most don't and the fix for that is a black balaclava which still doesn't look right, they're too narrow or small in general. You end up looking like a pellet head Mando. Granted Boba and Jango didn't look like bobbleheads but, there was more of a bobblehead look than pellet head look.

I do now and always will recommend saving your money and taking your time and buying the best props from the best propmakers rather than going cheap and fast. Costuming is a Marathon not a Sprint. I had time and money to spare when I built my first kit and it took me nearly a year to finish. When it was done I was happy but, I immedaitly modifed it once it was complete. I still wasn't happy with it and went a whole other direction. There's no reason to try to to this as fast as you can. TDH and Mando Mercs will both be here a year, two, three, four from now. We're not going anywhere. If time and funds place limits on you, use that to your advantage to gain experience, save the money to buy good quality to start with with and to gain knowledge rather than throwing together a Mando from subpar materials in a couple months time.

Again, this is all stuff covered in depth in the link I posted for you and on the site itself.

You really need to hop on there or/and start an armor thread here and there and use the search feature on both site. Then fire away with your idea's and questions!

Always happy to help friend. But please, any further questions of this detail, as this is basically a TDH announcement thread for Mercs not an educational thread, please address in a thread here or/and on the Mercs Forums.

Hope to see you there soon!

Thanks for helping me...
Sorry, I didn't realize I was clouding up the thread.
I actually am an early teens male, so the helmet fits me fine...
I know what you mean by not being able to get rid of the toy look.
I'm young-ish, so I don't think I look like a pellethead.
And it's been about a month since I actually got the mando idea.
So I believe that I am going too fast...
I'll try to go by your advice.
Thanks for your help!

Can somebody name a convention that the mercs are invited to in oregon?
It seems all GOOD conventions are happening everywhere except my state...

if you hop on our forums, we have a regional board for our oregon, washington and idaho members. i think we're pretty lean in oregon but i believe there are a couple members. all their events are posted there.

Czane: feel free to join the forums! you don't have to be an official member to particupate!

mandoman14: if you're looking to do a custom mandalorian, www.mandalorianmercs.com is the place for you. if you're looking to do a fett, you've found the place here at tdh. however, both sites are full of tutrials and information to get you started! don't forget to read all the stickied topics and use the search feature before you start asking too many questions though as most that you have wil likely be answered in the stickied threads or/and through the searches. once you've sudied up, ask away!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back