Let's Paint a PP2!

Great to see one of these MDFs finished. It's as close to a Malone Fett as most of us will ever get and I think the additional work done by the producer was top notch so I don't think we need feel sad that the original 10 are beyond us.

Much trouble with the lower RF ear, is it only a placeholder, or will it do? That was certainly the most striking comparison to the MR sized ears.

Interesting on the Diesel Maroon. I've heard this before which is a real worry because some of my vintage colours I've only the one of. It must have been very disappointing for you.

More shots please.

Great to see one of these MDFs finished. It's as close to a Malone Fett as most of us will ever get and I think the additional work done by the producer was top notch so I don't think we need feel sad that the original 10 are beyond us.

Much trouble with the lower RF ear, is it only a placeholder, or will it do? That was certainly the most striking comparison to the MR sized ears.

Interesting on the Diesel Maroon. I've heard this before which is a real worry because some of my vintage colours I've only the one of. It must have been very disappointing for you.

More shots please.

Thanks, Andy. I should've put your name up there with the others for the assistance (side note: I would've snatched that cradle you just sold in a minute).

As far as the ears, yes, they're a placeholder. I plan to get a set of the aluminum ears specially designed for this lid that are in the works, but in the meantime it would've been wrong to me to have it sit around as earless as Van Gogh.

I'll get a few pics up soon to demonstrate what I mean regarding the platforms, as well as some other pics in general.

And in regards to the paint, I wouldn't worry. I have many bottles of ~1970s paint that is completely fine. The problem with the Diesel Maroon, as I see it, is that it's EXCEPTIONALLY old (~1950s), plus the thinner I used might not have been the best for it. It was still factory-sealed - heat-welded plastic cap and all - and it dry brushed on fine (albeit quite oderiferous). The only problems arose from running it through my gun.

Looks fantastic! All your hard work has paid off. (y)
After a few years, the nightmares from doing that dome will begin to fade away. . . :lol:

Thanks, Andy. I should've put your name up there with the others for the assistance (side note: I would've snatched that cradle you just sold in a minute).

As far as the ears, yes, they're a placeholder. I plan to get a set of the aluminum ears specially designed for this lid that are in the works, but in the meantime it would've been wrong to me to have it sit around as earless as Van Gogh.

I'll get a few pics up soon to demonstrate what I mean regarding the platforms, as well as some other pics in general.

And in regards to the paint, I wouldn't worry. I have many bottles of ~1970s paint that is completely fine. The problem with the Diesel Maroon, as I see it, is that it's EXCEPTIONALLY old (~1950s), plus the thinner I used might not have been the best for it. It was still factory-sealed - heat-welded plastic cap and all - and it dry brushed on fine (albeit quite oderiferous). The only problems arose from running it through my gun.

A credit? I didn't do anything. With that in mind I really think praise should be lavished on my contribution.

Interesting on the ear platforms. I found that the MR rangefinder side were almost spot on, a fraction too wide, but could be made to fit if needs be. It was the other side I thought the MR ear left the realms of believability and it'd be difficult to make work so it's encouraging the FPH2 ear works for you. I don't recall it working that well on the lid I'm working on but wish I still had it to compare now. Oh well. Do you think a MR/FPH2 hybrid set could work for these helmets?

In any event I think this is great. It's a Malone (Day) Fett for Pete's sake!

It's funny that F4R demanded a repaint and that it ended up happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed....I Imessaged Ryan, and we talked a bit about the RIM and how Eric also said RIM would be his choice for the mandible red.

Well, don't let it go to your head, Dom!

RIM is a tried-and-true color on my radar from long before this build. Again, Diesel Maroon was a last minute decision. After it failed, the conversation was between RIM, Caboose, TDR, and MM Oxide.

It became quite obvious very quickly that the mandibles would need to be reworked. That was the catalyst for the change.

Getting ready to wrap this one up. I figure I'm at about 96% on this guy.

More fine details added. Terminal Fettler rangefinder top has now ben painted. I added a few more little flecks of paint here and there. I have more of that to do still. Just some really minor, but necessary, details.

Also added the yellow-orange marks on the front of the dome. They were harder to make than I thought. I may end up tweaking them a little more, too. And I'll get around to a few washes soon. Gotta muddy that clean paint up a bit!

Overall, the helmet came out very well.

Can't wait for the next one! Send me something to paint, guys!

Thanks again to everyone for the help and support. And a special thanks (as always) to the Mighty RafalFett.

120.jpg

110.jpg

105.jpg

100.jpg

096.jpg

095.jpg

053_1.jpg

031.jpg

Damn... gotta say that is a sexy beast! I did a repaint of a rubies Fett bucket a while back in a major rush and was thrilled with the outcome, but man that's gorgeous!!About how many hours of work do you approximate went into this?

Wow this is an incredible thread. Any chance that there is a paint list for this version anywhere? I am likely going to take the plunge and try my hand so I am in RECON mode right now. Anyone with tips on where to obtain both hard and soft parts please PM. Nice Job so inspiring.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back