Let's Paint a PP2!

The paints certainly changed over the years. IIRC the older floquils were lacquer based and the newer were enamel based with that bottle looking like it would be from the 60s. Presumably the nature of dio sol also changed over time to match the nature of the paint.

It's looking good.

I like the pink....think the maroon is too dark though....Ryan....repaint it!

Is this the british crimson from MM?

It is....pretty much identical to Tamiya dull red

It's very pink. Is that due to the contrast with the diesel maroon or is it genuinely very pink?

No, the pink on the PP2 is not MM British Crimson. British Crimson is a brighter red.
I use it for the red chips on the ESB left ear.

Okay! So I'm getting confused on this conversation...
The pink highlights are Polish Crimson (thanks, Eric!) the contrast was just too great, so I decided to mix the color with Caboose (extremely similar to the Diesel Maroon I used on the mandibles). I reverse-masked the damage and resprayed. The color is now MUCH better. The Diesel Maroon is a little dark, but some light gray misting that I have to lay down on the mandibles and dome should help that out. And if I have to respray that, I'll do it. I have absolutely NO FEAR at this point lol! And I'm VERY pleased with the results, so far.

The mix:
5B2CF27A-CE4C-4BCD-97C4-EC9FE59991C7.jpg

The mask:
C4F8DBFA-D62B-4E94-B913-9E8BE9C155CF.jpg

Tape pulled:
87D257D6-7C73-43AA-AB2A-5876E644000A.jpg

The result:
3960A58A-ACEB-4564-A7C9-3157CD75E82B.jpg

Lots more work to do, but I'm thrilled with how this came out!

What I was saying was Rock Island maroon is a redder color which I like for the ROTJ mandibles and these even....British Crimson is the Model Masters color that has since replaced it.

Right. Gotcha. That's now making sense. Is this polish crimson the 303066 version?

Unfortunately none of the photo's now work for me.

Annnnnd I'm back!

I've been a little scarce over the past few weeks, because, unfortunately, I decided to rework the mandibles, so I had to start that part from scratch. The Diesel Maroon turned out not too be a very good choice for a few reasons. First, it STANK. Second, the color turned out quite different as time went on. It actually seemed to get DARKER over the course of a week. And finally, because of the oddness of how it sprayed, the coat came out much more thick than I prefer, making the height difference between Diesel Maroon and Silver seem like cliffs. In addition, I had already re-applied the pink highlights with a new paint mix, so there was already a bit of unevenness. So I taped it up and started sanding:

A3291D2A-41D2-4D99-946C-BB8F6AF24DE8.jpg

06E529B0-C9D4-45DE-B2B1-1022C423510A.jpg

B6F35F58-8ECD-491F-86DA-20ED653C0CA3.jpg

B62690DC-FE59-4DDE-B1A5-4FEB9CD0211C.jpg

B531573E-0531-496A-B096-60B4877B6BC5.jpg

3BBCDEC3-523A-4343-ABF7-07834A3CE8B8.jpg

1FB74328-AF0F-48A0-BD3F-11205E5F4E2F.jpg

A4457773-5C67-4F6A-A736-158E1026AC5B.jpg

8E2BE815-F215-4D27-AE71-90FCBF2B57E9.jpg

84632D60-22F3-45C4-AC1E-616C22C633C9.jpg

All steps after the initial light gray worked better this time, in very clean, even layers. The pink highlights look outstanding, the color mix is very close, I think. And as for the final red, I went with Rock Island Maroon instead of Caboose. However, I do find that there's just a hint of 'red' missing from the color, as it seems that both the PP2 and the RotJ helmets have just a tiny amount more of actual red. I also find that there's a small element of shine that needs to be added, so I'll probably give it a coat of satin clear in the near future.

I added the triangles just by eyeballing them. A little bit of red and a little bit of dark blue.

I misted the dome of the helmet in the bizarre pattern that some of the pictures seem to show. It's hard to tell, because we have so few pictures of the helmet, and even the best photos available can be somewhat deceiving. So I went slow and very gentle. I may add some more later, including a nice muddy wash or two.

The wasteland-made FPH2 ears matched up pretty well, especially on the non-rangefinder side. Not so much on the rangefinder side, though (having nothing to do with wasteland's work). The lower piece is quite short, and doesn't line up well with the platforms on this helmet. And thanks to Andy's comparison, we can clearly see the difference:

IMG_0499_zpscwdx39cx.jpg

So that makes a lot of sense now!

Nevertheless, the ears worked fine. I didn't paint them as thoroughly as I normally do because I'm holding out for a few sets of aluminum ears from MachineCraft. And because PP2 ears, like their RotJ counterpart, SUCK. They just do. Absolutely no fun to paint! Anyways, I attached the WONDERFUL PP2 topper purchased from Terminal Fettler. And it's really one of the few areas that I haven't completed. I need to give it a quick spray and a fleck or two of silver. But I've been so excited with the build that I allowed myself a few glamour shots (it's been awhile since I've photographed anything not using my cell phone - ugh).

Special thanks so far to Eric, Dom and the 'other' Ryan, I very much appreciate having you guys as backstops.

I love the PP2!

And of course, she's still missing the yellow crayon mark.

028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back