Leather Parts List- Updated

Some people were wondering why the leather parts list gets bumped, but they don't see any replies, It's because I update the list on the first post to reflect any new information about the leather parts. I have visited tandy about 4 times so far and will be going back on saturdays until I get everything right. For me everything is trial and error, because I am not an expert, but I have been getting closer everytime I visit and compare leathers and people have been commenting on thickness/color/etc... So please don't take this as a final list just yet. Everyone is encouraged to give their imput when they visit leather shops. This helps us all from spending LOADS of money on hides that incorrect for the costume (an unfortunate experience I have had). Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one, appreciate all your efforts!! I've got very little spare time these days and all your research will be a great help.
On a good note, I just received a flyer today. A new tandy store just opened nearby. I've got to sneak away and check it out..not to mention entering their drawings to win shopping sprees :D

yeh! Do you know how long it will be until it opens? Oh, btw everyone, in the FREE tandy catalog, it has on the very corner, a little guide that indicates ___oz. = ___ inch thickness. Then you all can start comparing thicknesses for yourselves. Leather working is an expensive part of the hobby. And addictive. You see all these tools and kits, and you wanna get em all and start making things as presents for relatives at christmas/b-days. I gotta be careful. Focus, FOCUS!! hehe.

More leather pics, which do you think is best for the vest material? got these samples from another leather company (not tandy)
The first pic is lambskin about 1 1/2 oz VERY thin about 1/32", the second is white chapsides, thicker about 3-4 oz. About 1/16" thick
1)
lambskin.jpg

2)
whitechapsides.jpg

Vote vote vote! :D 1 or 2 for vest leather :D

This third pic is of dyeable pig suede for the veil and mock hood. (I dunno if I want to purchase these just yet.)
dyeablesuede.jpg

Considering what I have viewed on pictures Dallas took at the MOM display I am going to say 1.

Now if everyone would be so kind as to go and look at the MOM pic DSC04219 and DSC04218 and tell me what you in the opening of the vest where it is laced thoughter? The material I am speaking of is similar in color to the cumberbun belt area and appears the same material, but all this runs up under the vest about 3/4 of the vest height. I am really woundering what that is or could be attached to.

It's kind of hard to tell the diffference in the pics... but I think I'd lean in the direction of 1. The grain looks more like the vest pics I've seen... Is it the same in pic 2? I would assume that #1 would be easier to work with, being thinner, which would move my vote in that direction.

Could you let us know the leather source?

The issues of vinyl vs. leather for the vest will give us several things to be concerned about. The first pic is thinner leather, and very very flexible, but at the same time I would think it is easy to rip with all those eyelets running down the side. The upper shoulder flaps remind me of pic 2 leather although, it would be harder to sew. You would have to ask a leather person with a heavy duty machine to sew it all together.
Vinyl, more durable, cheaper and (I haven't gotten a sample yet) but last time, running through JoAnn's, vinyl is pretty darn close in respect to "look".

This is the website of the leather company.
http://www.ebingerleather.com/eblchome.htm

Interesting points - They might have used two different types/thicknesses of leather on the vest - nothing says they didn't. One for the body and one for the flaps? Or the flaps may have had some filing put into them.

IMHO - vinyl would be a lot hotter than leather, which will be toasty enough. I'm not an expert by any means, but I should think the color would rub and wear off the vinyl much easier if it is "painted" on.

Looking at the standup and other pics - It looks to me like those areas are folded under, essentially making a double layer for the eyelet to hold onto, making it less likely to tear through.

Thanks for the link!

I don't think that they used two different thicknesses for the flaps vs. the main vest part, I just meant that it looked thick enuff in the flaps that they prob used the thicker stuff. The vest itself looks pretty thick imho. esp. the flaps... Of course they had shoulder pads in there too, that's a given. but, the thin stuff is pretty thin. Even on one side, it seams as if it would tear easy on an eyelet, even though it's obviously two pieces one on top plus the lined leather too. The thin stuff stretches twice as much as the thicker stuff, if that helps any.

Rag- it's just another leather piece that folds over to conceal the "black" leotard. That's what the seamstress said.

Edit** Actually, the lambskin only stretches when pulled one direction. AND it's definately lambskin!!! I did a ratio on the pic04286, the texture and the Thinness are perfect! When I folded the white chapsides tight, it was way too thick on the edge of the seam. And, it's a tad more pourous than the chapsides to "Catch" the paint. I will fold the two and post a pic...

ok here goes... the choice is.... <font size ="5"> #1 :D
thicknesscompr.jpg

compare to this pic...
shoulder2.jpg

It has to be the thinner lambskin leather :D You guys picked right!!! I haven't ordered from them yet, but it is product number LMBITAL100 white lamb $3.35 per square foot. I haven't had time to run to the fabric store and get some vinyl to compare it to for pricing.

After much deliberation, Dallas and I measured the skirt thickness, and the brim thick ness and it is not as thick as I stated before. It's a lot thinner and is 4-5 oz weight. That equals a 0.1" thickness. Sorry for all the people who have started on the skirt. Ugh, I hate losing money. I hope that you havnt made the same mistakes I have.

Are you sure it's only 4-5 oz.?
4 oz. is 1/16" thick...correct?

That would mean it's only as thick as the laces which look thinner and a lace less than 1/16" doesn't seem very strong.

Yep, 4-5 oz skirt, the laces are 1- 1 1/2 oz. They are strong enuff cause it's 1/4 in cut laces. Use some calipers and measure the skirt thickness off of the cardboard cut out.

O.K.,
I was just curious because they look thicker but I realize you've been bugging your eyes out getting it right. :)

MonCal wrote:

O.K.,
I was just curious because they look thicker but I realize you've been bugging your eyes out getting it right. :)

Hey, not only that, but i wasted close to 200.00 cutting up the wrong leather hides. I started on 9-10, then went to 7-8. man, what an expensive mistake.

Zam I Am wrote:

Hey, not only that, but i wasted close to 200.00 cutting up the wrong leather hides. I started on 9-10, then went to 7-8. man, what an expensive mistake.

Wow! Sorry to hear that! :( So you're on your third hide for the skirt?

I'll take your word for it then :)

Oh, please forgive me for this.....(ducks behind monitor)
:eek:
I am still confused on some dimensions:
this is pic #4507 cropped
skirt thickness.jpg

If measurement A = 9mm which is just under 3/8" then
measurement "B" would be 3/16"
measurement "C" would be 1/8" which is 8 oz. leather.
4 oz. (1/16") would be barely thicker than that lace (should've dimensioned that also)

oK, then my measurement on the beads might be off. I took all my measurments off of the stand up. The square should be 2 inches tall.

When I get home, I will scan the thicknesses in oz. by the tandy catalog. I think 1-1/2 oz lace is actually closer to 1/32" thickness. The width should be around 1/4" or a little less. I know the slots are 1/4" tall. So lace could be 3/16" wide...
When I took the caliper width. approximately .12 of an inch is what I got for the thickness of the leather on the cut out. 1/8" is .125 of an inch. So, when I measured the thickness of my 4 oz. leather, I got .11 of an inch. That's where I came up with my measurements. Mebbe 5-6 oz? I gotta check the tandy measurements on the oz.= thickness thing again.
chartoz.jpg

EDIT***
Ok, for some reason whoever measured and put the tag on my holster leather at the tandy store marked it as 4-5 oz, when really it is closer to 7-8 oz. Both my holster leather and skirt leather measure around .11 of an inch. So, I guess it's a good thing that I was tricked? Actually, no wonder my skirt lace didn't fit the hole the first time. UGH!!!! Ok I am massively messed up. So, Yeah, skirt leather is 7-8 oz. Sorry yall. I am really perturbed, I cut all that lace cause something was mislabeled. Grrr...
Well my 1 oz leather (for the lace) is .045 of an inch. If that helps any. 1/32" =.03125" and 1/16" equals.0625" so it will fit the holes I punched out just fine. Good! then my skirt leather isn't wrong. whew! And the hole puncher and all the work i did is totally correct on the skirt.

<font color="#FF00CC">Final word= skirt leather for squares is 1/8" or 7-8 oz. leather. FORGET what I said earlier. Moncal thanks for correcting us.

Zam I Am wrote:

FORGET what I said earlier. Moncal thanks for correcting us.
Sure..I hated to bring it out like that. I was just confused :) Hopefully it saved you some extra work if you hadn't started over (again).

On another note, I have gone to 6 leather shops between Ft. Collins and Denver in the past few days trying to find some predyed purple pig. I finally found one piece of pig that's the correct color for the veil and will probably work for the shins if there is enough. Anyway, one lady (very nice and helpful) recommended "plonge" (plonjay) for the vest, cumberbun. She gave me a white sample and it looks a lot like lambskin but is a much higher grade leather and is cow hide. It's really a nice leather. She said lambskin and pigskin will tear extremely easily and she has to repair 5 or 6 garments per week for people made from pig or lamb. It's not something Tandy has and many leather shops don't carry it. She gets it from a company called "Hide & Leather House" out of California. I guess it's fairly pricey but she said I won't have to worry about it. I think she said a 24 sq. ft piece would be approx. $180.00. I'll probably go ahead and get it from her. I may even use the same material and make my own gloves.
Has anyone seen this stuff or heard of it?
FWIW: She is finishing a custom Rocketeer leather jacket for a costumer...it was very nice.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back