Flight Suit I need some weathering advice

RedBeard

Hunter
I just got my flight suit from Loanstar, and damn it looked good. It was wrinkled as hell from shipping, so I thought I could wash it in cold on delicate...now most of the weathering is gone. I've looked through the threads, but found mostly pics of what people have done. What can I use to get the weathering back, and stay on when washed? I'm assuming y'all wash your suits...lol.

I've never washed mine. Febreze is the way to go. Washing is a no go cause it will remove the weathering, gradually damage the soft parts, or cause shrinkage. You can also put it in the freezer to "clean" it because it kills the bacteria that cause odor.

People seem to get good results by getting the flightsuit wet and then adding paint mists. You could also try dyes and shoe polish.

Yup if you wash your flightsuit you are going to have to redo your weathering every single time you wash it because even paints in fabric arnt permanent in a washing machine. I have used fabreeze on it and let it sit outside in the air for a day. Also plain vodka mist has worked for me as well. (Weird but it works)

As far as weathering it goes you are going to want to wet the entire suit through so you get even paint distribution and what I did was just mist on layers of black grey and some small amounts of tan (this is different from ROTJ to ESB)

Once I layered some paint up I would let it dry, reevaluate and go again. I think I probably put 6-8 layers on myself. And even then when I was done I took wet charcoal and took it to the seems and then after that I drug the suit all over my cars wheel well (particularly on the lower legs for ESB). There’s really no right way to do it and it’s kind of preference. If you have an airbrush you may have more control but an airbrush has a completely different look than other methods so it’s really up to your preference.

I weathered with acrylic paint sprayed through an airbrush.Mist the suit to get the fibers wet then soak in and build up layers of acrylic
letting each dry to harden the paint. Acrylic is water soluble out of the tube but when dry it is not. It is also a little flexible and plastic like when set.
Hand wash when needed..cool water. If you use real dirt and grime it will always wash out.The other tips are fine but I'm one of those who believe
that many over weather (especially ESB). Prop builders did that to compensate for film lighting. Boba doesn't look that grimy in the film to me. For instance, his
helmet looks very used not very dirty. Soldiers (mercenaries) keep even used equipment clean. Their life depends on it. If you look used but not too dirty in person
when trooping (some exception from the knees down and cargo flaps) that's how people remember Boba from the film.
The film image is also how George Lucas envisioned Boba or he wouldn't be that way....Right? Just my lowly opinion.. Not trying to start a argument. Each of us has to decide
for himself.

I wash mine depending on the troop, but I wear my TD Under Armor underneath, it helps wick most of it. But I've washed mine (HAND WASH, guys), and I've had no issues. Hot water, febreze, and distilled vinegar do the trick (vinegar would clean and kill the smell by itself)

I weathered mine with 2 different gray spray paints to get the 'bulk' of the weathering, used some watered down brown and yellow acrylics on my hands and rubbed in the sleeves, elbows, pouches. These come off but takes some serious scrubbing

Seeing as your state side me saying I've used uk Halfords camo paints that are a ultra matt finnish so stick to fabric would be a waste of time unless you can find a US version as the end result is bang on, browns, khaki and olive green and black all the army colours who ra !o_O

Just gonna throw this out there. I've done lots of stencilled T-shirts in the past and I've always used a spray paint called Design Master. It's actually made for painting flowers, but it stays on clothes remarkably well even after several washes. I plan on using it when I finally get around to finishing my flightsuit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back