Funkyred's W.I.P

Funkyred

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
So I have been a member on here for some years now and I realised I have never started a WIP for my ESB Fett. I can only apologise for this error as I have been too involved in building and upgrading it that I forgot to share it will the members of this group.

First up let me introduce myself , For those who don't already know me. My name is Elliott and I live in Manchester , England.

My journey started in DEC 2015 , after attending a Con called "For the love of the Force" in my home city of Manchester . I came away thinking how cool the cosplayers were and that I wanted to build a costume. After a thinking which star wars costume to build for a while I finally decided on Boba. If I knew then what I know now regarding cost and complexity I may have decided on a cheaper amd easier build lol.
The first 6 months involved a lot of reading and looking at pictures as well as impulse buys from The Bay of E most of which after learning the Do's and Don'ts turned out to be regretfull and quickly resold. It's to easy to click "buy it now" and purchase pieces that aren't going to be of use in the long run.
Initially I was only building the costume for myself and hadn't heard of the 501st and going "For approval ". It was a personal journey but after a while and after being asked if I was going to submit my Fett to the UKG for approval. I finally changed my mind and approach on how this build would eventually end up . This decision would also effect my bank balance. At the point I decided to ultimately go for approval I had to make a decision on how far this costume was going to get. I had already invested a lot of time and money in this project (you eat , sleep and breath Fett, from the moment you wake up you think about Fett , to the last thing you think about before sleep is Fett. Parts , paint , expected deliveries etc) I decided I was way to far in to back out and was "All in" .The budget went out the window and I haven't added it all up and in all honesty refuse to lol,

Before I begin let just say a quick thank you to all the members on here who have given me help and advice on this journey and who I have never met but can call then friends and fellow Fett brothers/sisters.........Thank you

This will be interesting Elliot.

I love reading about your approach, mistakes and change of heart to go all out, I think we have all been there, takes me back well over ten years reading that.

Look forward to seeing your description of the build.

Rob.

After reading your post, which is uncanny to say the least, as for months now I've felt like I've been in the mist of mid life crises or maybe all the parties years ago have finally took their toll on my last good brain cell and it had finally burst !o_O
I've been living day and night and driving my poor wife insane with the obsession of everything boba fett and after being bitten by the eBay scrap for cash merchants myself I can see where you're coming from. I started scratch building as I did not want to get bitten again by cheap ebay tat. although I have purchased an amazing helmet from a fella called tommyboy on ebay some time back who is also a old time member of TDH and the mans work is spot on and ive only just been doing the paint job on it so its hit and miss for a real good seller but more miss than hit !

FR I'm looking forward to your build & Pictures, hopefully. I believe we have all been in your predicament at one time or another. I've done some of the same things you were mentioning.
I call it "Learn By Fire" !! Good Luck on your build brother !!

Early on in my build I was told about RS Propmasters and how they were in the UK, I googled them and discovered they were local to me in Manchester, I phoned them up and was invited down by Rob for a tour of the studios . There i met Simon and the rest of the boys and girls, Its an awesome place and well worth the visit if you get a chance, While there i picked up this Armour

IMG_7328.JPG

Trimmed down

IMG_7822.JPG

IMG_7825.JPG

IMG_7826.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

Primmed

IMG_1907.JPG

Cut out chest display slots

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Base coat silver , followed by yellow and green , each time using tracedown paper and maskoil

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_7067.JPG

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2856.JPG

Made some masking stencils for the chest badge

IMG_7290.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_3019.JPG

Attached the G string to the kidney plate using press studs and also attaching it to a nylon belt to keep the cod piece secure around the waist whilst attached to the kidney plate.

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3024.JPG

Fixed the chest lights to a piece of plastic, attached the red sheets to the underside of the armour and then secured it all in place using velcro. The final image also shows the nylon studs and bolts used to attach the armour to the flak vest.

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work !
where can I get me a chest lights display like what you have in your pictures uk wise ? as having been ripped off on ebay with a heap of crap that looks and works like it was made by a glue sniffing teenager with poor electronic skills and lack of wiring! I'm in need of the real deal. o_O

Last edited:
Nice work !
where can I get me a chest lights dipslay like what you have in your pictures uk wise ? as having been ripped off on ebay with a heap of crap that looks and works like it was made by a glue sniffing teenager with poor electronic skills I'm in need of the real deal. o_O
I bought it from a guy who was splitting a Uk Fett build. Fettronics has a website or hotpockets lists then in the cargo hold

Last edited:
I bought it from a guy who was splitting a Uk Fett build. Fettronics has a website or hotpockets lists then in the cargo hold
just checked out hotpockets and he is US dealer so ill keep searching uk side thanks for your help anyway, and there really seems to be a lot of corners that need to be marketed UK side that would stop so many poor buggers getting ripped off buying ebay tat

Last edited:
Soft parts - "But cheap - Buy Twice" ...........or maybe more.

Its safe to say as everyone has I have bought some junk during this build , The soft parts was some of this junk. My first flight suit and flak vest ( I have had at least 3 of these) came from different vendors on etsy . Both pieces at first looked as if they were ok but as usual the more you learn the more you realize that they would not do. I kept hearing the name Clothears from time to time, so I googled them and found out they were just around the corner from my house , literally a couple of miles. ( This has been a reoccurring factor in this build, Rs is also on my doorstep)
So I made an appointment and went to the studios met the lovely Alison and Jude. (Two of the nicest people I have met on this journey) They measured me up and 9 months later came the call " Your soft parts are ready" I couldn't get there fast enough.

All my soft parts are from Clothears , except the cape
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7017.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
IMG_7020.JPG
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Soft parts - "But cheap - Buy Twice" ...........or maybe more.

Its safe to say as everyone has I have bought some junk during this build , The soft parts was some of this junk. My first flight suit and flak vest ( I have had at least 3 of these) came from different vendors on etsy . Both pieces at first looked as if they were ok but as usual the more you learn the more you realize that they would not do. I kept hearing the name Clothears from time to time, so I googled them and found out they were just around the corner from my house , literally a couple of miles. ( This has been a reoccurring factor in this build, Rs is also on my doorstep)
So I made an appointment and went to the studios met the lovely Alison and Jude. (Two of the nicest people I have met on this journey) They measured me up and 9 months later came the call " Your soft parts are ready" I couldn't get there fast enough.

All my soft parts are from Clothears , except the cape
View attachment 165850 View attachment 165851 View attachment 165852 View attachment 165853 View attachment 165854 View attachment 165857 View attachment 165858 View attachment 165859

Nice. Where are Clothears based? I live near Stockport, Cheshire

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back