First scratch build attempt

robotzo

Hunter
Ive finally decided to share my progress on my first Fett helmet. This is my first time doing work like this so I'm making plenty of mistakes along the way lol. Ive been using RafalFett's awesome templates. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Current state is rough.
U9D0dE8.jpg

7ChKx2b.jpg

DOVAsiQ.jpg

That looks pretty damn good for the stage it's in. Nice plasticine clay ball too.

One little critique I can provide though; one of your forehead arrows is a bit lower than the other. They seem to be one of the few things that are pretty perfectly symmetrical in the references.

Good luck with the cheeks and faceplate, took me forever to get them as straight and smooth as I wanted.

That looks pretty damn good for the stage it's in. Nice plasticine clay ball too.

One little critique I can provide though; one of your forehead arrows is a bit lower than the other. They seem to be one of the few things that are pretty perfectly symmetrical in the references.

Good luck with the cheeks and faceplate, took me forever to get them as straight and smooth as I wanted.
Thanks! And Ill definitely fix the arrows soon. Ive been struggling to get the dome to a good, smooth shape that I haven't focused much on anything else lol. I'm not looking forward to the cheeks at all.

looks good so far! I notice that when looking at it straight on the dome looks higher on the left side. Since you're using bondo I hope you're using an electric sander and not trying to sand that by hand. I love my variable speed oscillating multi-tool sander for this type of project. I also took some metal flashing and bent it in a curve to apply my bondo. That way you get a more even application. Took me several relatively thin coats to get one of my sides built up before I was happy. Be patient and keep working on it! You have a great start so far!

Thanks guys. At first I was sanding everything by hand. Even though Ive been working on this for almost two months, I just got an orbital sander last week. I'm still a little rough with it but hoping to get the shape of the dome as best I can.

Thanks guys. At first I was sanding everything by hand. Even though Ive been working on this for almost two months, I just got an orbital sander last week. I'm still a little rough with it but hoping to get the shape of the dome as best I can.

Wow dedication! The new tool will come in handy i'm sure.

Edit: Is that a gundam poster with Amuro Ray in the background there?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back