Cliche I know.. but these forums have kinda changed my life

GeekdadX7

Active Hunter
Bear with me, because it is truth.
In the past month and a half I have dropped 30 pounds because of these forums and RKD.

Backstory:
I have been overweight for the past 20 years, not massively huge, but overweight. I have a nephew who has been battling cancer for the past few years up in Saramento, CA. For the past 3 years, each August, my sister has organized a community fundraiser event with vendors, music, booths, rides, all that stuff... to raise funds to benefit the cancer wing of the local children's hospital where my nephew has been receiving his treatments. For the past 2 years, members of the 501st Legion have showed up to the event, to troop, and add to the event's draw. My nephew is a huge SW fan, so it really meant alot to my sister that I helped get 501st guys there, even if there weren't alot. (it's at 5pm on a friday... not much you can do for turnouts with that).

This past Summer I turned 40, and spent all of my birthday gift money (surprise party) to commission a full suit of boba fett rotj armor from a costumer with very good reviews and a history on Etsy. Long story short, he took my money and the money of 13 other people, deleted his account, and ran.

I joined TDH forums, got most of my money back from Etsy, and then saw the sad news about RKD's passing, and that his family needed to sell alot of his gear to help raise funds. His measurements were posted, our measurements were the same (so I thought they still were), and so I used my refund to purchase his Jumpsuit, Girth Belt, Ammo Belt with beige pouches, Armor Vest & Neck Seal.

I felt kind of bad because I was purchasing the items of a recently passed and very respected forum member... but at the same time I knew that I'd be helping his family, and continuing to use his gear to bring happiness to little kids, as well as myself.

I got his gear in..... and I was too fat to fit into it. The ammo belt barely was probably 6" from closing in the back, same with the girth belt. I was barely able to squeeze into the flight suit, and felt like an italian sausage about to bust out of its casing. I could barely close it, and was afraid the whole thing would tear open. Couldn't close the armor vest, couldn't close the neck seal around my neck.... it was humiliating and demoralizing. I could not believe that I had gotten so big. Plus... the fact that my wife has been silently dealing with it for over a decade, while she stayed cute and athletic.

So.... I had no choice, if I wanted to be boba fett for my nephew who's fighting cancer (as well as for myself), and if I wanted to join the 501st as boba fett... I needed to drop a carpload of weight by summer. I officially decided to become a middle aged housewife,.... and joined Weight Watches on Dec 1st.

It's January 19th, and as of this morning when I weighed myself.... I've lost 30 pounds. Because of wanting to be boba fett, because of wanting to joint he 501st, and in his own way.... because of RKD.

On a whim about an hour ago I thought "I wonder if his boba fett stuff fits?" It's been tucked in the garage in "the box of shame" as I had come to think of it. Went in the garage, stripped down to my Mandalorean skivvies...... and holy freaking gd hell... I could not believe it..... IT ALL FITS!!!!!!
All of RKD's stuff fits!!!!! I cannot freaking believe it. It is the first time that it has really sunk in that I actually have gotten skinnier.

Over the holidays I've made and launched 2 new websites for clients.... now I just need them to pay me for the danged things and I can finally try to buy the rest of the suit (or as much as I can) from the cargo hold. before summer, so that I can try to do what I can with the pieces to get approval by August, so I can troop for my nephew's event.

If it wasn't for these forums and RKD, I never would have been pushed to lose weight. So yeah..... random, and weird.... but it is the truth that joining these forums resulted in me changing my entire lifestyle and pushing to improve my health.

I am hoping that my complete lifestyle change/improvement will also be honoring to RKD's memory in its own way.

That's awesome to hear! 30 pounds in less than 2 months?!? That blows my mind... I myself am on my own Boba Fett weight loss journey, pretty much all of my 501st costumes are too tight. I decided that by the time I get to meet Jeremy Bulloch and Daniel Logan at Knoxville Comic Con as future Mr. BH-81989, it's going to be after having lost 30 pounds. Not going to be Boba Fat!

I started my own journey in October 2016. I was 220 pounds. Not terribly overweight, but enough that I became unhappy with my appearance. Being in the military for the last ten years, I am going to the gym regularly, but my poor diet choices were to blame.

Some simple changes resulted in almost 80 pounds dropped by October 2017. I cut out bread, and sugar, drink tons of water a day, and still do the same sports and PT regimen I was doing before.

I am now 165 and I almost can't even look at old pictures of myself anymore because the change in my appearance is that obvious.

Congratulations on your progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos when you make your nephews day!

Great Story, Glad to hear you made the decision to change yourself !! Looking forward to your completed Boba and seeing a lot of pics at your nephews event !!

I started my own journey in October 2016. I was 220 pounds. Not terribly overweight, but enough that I became unhappy with my appearance. Being in the military for the last ten years, I am going to the gym regularly, but my poor diet choices were to blame.

Some simple changes resulted in almost 80 pounds dropped by October 2017. I cut out bread, and sugar, drink tons of water a day, and still do the same sports and PT regimen I was doing before.

I am now 165 and I almost can't even look at old pictures of myself anymore because the change in my appearance is that obvious.

Congratulations on your progress, and I'm looking forward to seeing some photos when you make your nephews day!

I was pretty much the same. 5'10, 225.(my goalweight is 175) When I started dating my wife in 2000 I was 175. I thought I was still 215 when I bought RKD's stuff, not realizing how much weight I'd really put on... haven't stepped on a scale in years. Not trying to be a spokesperson for WW or anything because I know that isn't allowed here, but I am really really really surprised with it. To me, a "diet" has always been agonizing, where we all just starve ourselves to try to lose weight for whatever occasion, then as soon as it's over we're just OMG I CAN EAT AGAIN! This whole "point" system that weight watchers does for food, things at the grocery store, stuff on restaurant menus... everything has points, and you're allowed so many points per day. Eat all your points you lose weight, but slow. Eat low point stuff during the day to save up your points so you can have more wiggle room for dinner and a dessert, and then you have a weekly "cheat" pool that you can dip into if you want to go out and indulge on drive thru or out for drinks.

Yesterday for breakfast I ate 2 eggs, scrambled with diced peppers and turkey,.. an iced coffee, and fruit. = 0 points.

Lunch: Grilled salmon fillet, grilled veggies, some fruit. = 0 points.

I'm allowed 29 points per day, so I had alot of room for dinner.

2 chili cheese hot dogs (low fat turkey hebrew national franks) = 14 points
Skinny Cow ice cream bar = 6 points.

Ended the day 9 points under my allowance, drank tons of ice water throughout the day, snacked all day on fruit and veggies with dip (ranch dressing made with fat free plain yogurt instead of sour cream = 0 points).... woke up this morning, and had lost another 1/4 pound.

Haven't exercised once since starting. It's freaking ridiculous. Sure as hell doesn't feel like a diet.

I was pretty much the same. 5'10, 225.(my goalweight is 175) When I started dating my wife in 2000 I was 175. I thought I was still 215 when I bought RKD's stuff, not realizing how much weight I'd really put on... haven't stepped on a scale in years. Not trying to be a spokesperson for WW or anything because I know that isn't allowed here, but I am really really really surprised with it. To me, a "diet" has always been agonizing, where we all just starve ourselves to try to lose weight for whatever occasion, then as soon as it's over we're just OMG I CAN EAT AGAIN! This whole "point" system that weight watchers does for food, things at the grocery store, stuff on restaurant menus... everything has points, and you're allowed so many points per day. Eat all your points you lose weight, but slow. Eat low point stuff during the day to save up your points so you can have more wiggle room for dinner and a dessert, and then you have a weekly "cheat" pool that you can dip into if you want to go out and indulge on drive thru or out for drinks.

Yesterday for breakfast I ate 2 eggs, scrambled with diced peppers and turkey,.. an iced coffee, and fruit. = 0 points.

Lunch: Grilled salmon fillet, grilled veggies, some fruit. = 0 points.

I'm allowed 29 points per day, so I had alot of room for dinner.

2 chili cheese hot dogs (low fat turkey hebrew national franks) = 14 points
Skinny Cow ice cream bar = 6 points.

Ended the day 9 points under my allowance, drank tons of ice water throughout the day, snacked all day on fruit and veggies with dip (ranch dressing made with fat free plain yogurt instead of sour cream = 0 points).... woke up this morning, and had lost another 1/4 pound.

Haven't exercised once since starting. It's freaking ridiculous. Sure as hell doesn't feel like a diet.

Yeah, I'm about the same. 5'9" and 220ish. For min/maxing your diet, keep in mind that bread=sugar=fat. I eat meats, veggies, dairy, and healthy fats. Avoid bread, pasta, crackers/chips, snacky foods. Of course, I do stray off the menu now and then (I don't call it cheating), and I also dove into intermittent fasting to supplement my strategy but that's a completely different beast all it's own.

The hardest part for me now is toning off the stubborn abs/hip fat that just doesn't seem to want to go away. lol

Good job, and yeh the misunderstanding of "you need to starve yourself to lose weight" thing is sad for many people. Ive been working on losing some extra pounds I put on recently too. All while trying to lift REALLY heavy stuff and not lose strength and found a program some fitness friends used and its A LOT of food. And yogurt is my saving grace as of late.... really helps make plain chicken not suck! Add some yogurt and hotsauce to chicken and youre set! OR some yogurt and mustard to cold shredded chicken....sound bad but its not! Glad Wills kit found a good home!

That's great. I don't think it's a cliche per se. It's good that one interest has sparked other interests. Same happened to me with this stuff albeit not pursuits as healthy and inspiring as yours. Good luck to you.

Not really fett related, but just wanted to post it anyways.

In my initial post I mentioned how the thing that started me on this whole 501st Boba Fett quest, and ultimately here, which led me to lose weight (just hit -33 now woot) was my nephew who's been fighting cancer for 4 years, and how I promised him (and me) that I'd troop as Fett at his next community event for the kid's hospital this coming August...

Well, as of 2 days ago, he's cancer free. He took his last chemo pill 2 days ago, at disneyland.

We had a family bbq for him tonight, and he was like "whoa... uncle daniel... What the heck happened to you??? Does this mean you're REALLY gonna be boba fett at my thing???"
:)

I pulled up the forums, and showed him a pic of artakhas painted up helmets. The pic of the armor I'm going to buy from the cargo hold as soon as my clients gd check gets here in the mail (grumbles), as well as a pic of RKD's EE3,... And was like "yeah.... Yeah I am." His face made my entire mf decade.

Now if only that danged check would get here! They have till wed before I call and go crazy mandalorian on their accounts payable department. Heh

In my initial post I mentioned how the thing that started me on this whole 501st Boba Fett quest, and ultimately here, which led me to lose weight (just hit -33 now woot) was my nephew who's been fighting cancer for 4 years, and how I promised him (and me) that I'd troop as Fett at his next community event for the kid's hospital this coming August...

Well, as of 2 days ago, he's cancer free. He took his last chemo pill 2 days ago, at disneyland.

We had a family bbq for him tonight, and he was like "whoa... uncle daniel... What the heck happened to you??? Does this mean you're REALLY gonna be boba fett at my thing???"

I pulled up the forums, and showed him a pic of artakhas painted up helmets. The pic of the armor I'm going to buy from the cargo hold as soon as my clients gd check gets here in the mail (grumbles), as well as a pic of RKD's EE3,... And was like "yeah.... Yeah I am." His face made my entire mf decade.

Now if only that danged check would get here! They have till wed before I call and go crazy mandalorian on their accounts payable department. Heh
Amazing! I’m so happy to hear the good news and that your nephew is cancer free. God is good all the time. Things are looking up for you :)

That is amazing news. I'm very happy for him and you and your family. Keep up the progress!

Wanted to thank you guys, and the couple of you who have messaged me some tips that you use. I'm started using a couple of them.
Just wanted to give ya'll an update.
As of this morning, I'm down 38 since december 1st.
12 pounds from my target, and am properly stoked about it. Thanks for your support, tips, and continued boba fett suit tips in all your threads :)

Congrats on the progress towards being better fit! I been working hard to get to Boba shape and I cherish every pound that I can loose , losing 38 is great! Keep it going!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back