Builder's ESB Bucket

Builder

Hunter
Hi all,
After posting over on the costume forum I did some minor work on our helmet so decided to take additional photos
and post them here. I also took a look back at my build photos which got me thinking about the process of painting I used and some of the finishing techniques as well. As time goes on I'll get to some of them here.

DSC_6986.jpg

Last edited:
The first thing that I would like to suggest ,if you don't already have one, is to get a scribing tool. Most any good hobby supply has them. This tool can help to
clean up and define edges and recesses to sharpen detail before you paint. The reason to use a scribe rather than a sharp point is that a point just pushes material aside
rather than removing it. A scribe cuts and leaves a clean line...... See picture.

DSC_8101.jpg
This works on plastic as well as cast resin and other materials. If appropriate I like to scribe to make a solid cast part look like multiple pieces put together. I'm showing a picture
of the finished helmet with the scribe indicating where it was used BEFORE PAINTING. It can also help when masking different color areas.
DSC_8153.jpg With imagination I'm sure you'll find all kinds of uses for it.
For instance, when I cut the holes in the left chest armor for the lights ,I first scribed clean straight lines to define the edge of the openings. Then I removed
the inside material for a finished look.

More later

There are so many good helmet paint ups described on TDH that to do another would be somewhat repetitious. I'll just skip around on a few things about our helmet that
might interest a newer builder.
This helmet is painted about 90% layered and 10% topical. I'm including light wash as well as opaque as topical. The base after priming is Testors Non-Buf Aluminum. The rest is Humbrol enamel.
Like most I used Rafal Works Hero Helmet Stencils.It's buy no means the only way but here's the method I used to fit them to my helmet. I'll use a back panel as an example.

DSC_6607.jpg First size the printout as near to either height or width as you can, keeping it inside the working area.

DSC_6608.JPG Once cut out it did not fit very well to the panel edges, especially the bottom edge.
In order to improve the fit I made cuts through the broad areas of the background,in this case the blueish tone, so as not to disturb the smaller details of the stencil.
DSC_6610.JPG Here they are opened up DSC_6613.jpg and now fitted to the panel.
Now it's an easy matter to transfer the cuts to each layer of the other stencil colors to match the panel you're working on.
DSC_6783.jpg These are the first paint layers before the wash and other topical work.
I used this method on all of the stencil work. Made my own transfer paper using a soft graphite drawing pencil on vellum drafting paper....tracing paper will do.

Some work in progress....nearing the half way point of the paint up.
DSC_6740.jpg DSC_6776.jpg DSC_6781.jpg DSC_6755.jpg DSC_6769.jpg DSC_6816.jpg DSC_6837.jpg

This shot shows some of the prep work research photos and color testing that kept me inspired. Been at it about a year and a half at that point.
The helmet was the final piece of the build.

DSC_6814.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Grimstuff's comment about "micro-detail" got me to thinking that maybe a description of how I use the liquid mask to start, and then another technique to end my paint work,
might be of interest. As anyone who has used it knows that liquid mask leaves a basically smooth or liquid looking edges when removed. This is not good if you want the paint
to look chipped from an impact,as Boba's does.
My thinking was to find a way to give the edges as much small detail as possible in the initial masking and then even more
at the end.

DSC_8133.jpg
My choice for tools finally came down to a squeeze bottle and a plastic toothpick. Your choice of liquid mask.
I tried the syringe but it needed too much stopping for refill and wasn't a steady enough flow the way it worked.

DSC_8119.jpg
Basically I just put down a blob of liquid mask near my stencil line and then push it up to the line in very small amounts to create a much more
broken edge affect. You won't loose the larger basic shape of things but you will gain a more detailed look. Remember you are working on very
small areas and adding even smaller abstract shapes to the edges. You can use whatever you want to move the liquid around just keep the tip
free of dried mask. There really are no mistakes as long as you stay near the stencil lines.
If this takes a little longer then painting with a small brush, and I'm not sure that it does, it's worth it.

DSC_8143.jpg
The final touch is this.
After the paint is dry, and with an Exaco blade held perpendicular to the paint lines, I go along and chip the upper layers of the paint color so in the end it
really is chipped paint! It's not done on every line maybe 30-40% or so. These are very small chips and in whatever amounts you want to improve the look.
You'll know it when you see it.

Here are three pictures that show this technique on other parts of our armor.They're bigger damage spots so the chipped or broken edge effect is more apparent.

DSC_7133.jpg DSC_7495.jpg DSC_7079.jpg With these I worked around the entire area of each damage spot.
Remember.....Keep the blade perpendicular to the line of the paint as you go around. You'll get away from that liquid mask look to a look of much more natural damage.

DSC_7057.jpg

DSC_7043.jpg

These two pictures somehow were swept in with the others when I posted so I"ll make a couple of comments.....
I found that the kill stripe stencil was the hardest to use.Probably because getting the pattern off of a curved surface distorted the spacing between stripes. It's best to mask evenly spaced stripes on your own helmet. This probably isn't news to anyone just the only major change I had to make to the stencils.

Rangefinder ear piece.....Wondering if anyone else noticed that in Post ESB Helmet pictures that the upper back half of the ear piece appears to be gray or silver and blends with the yellow tone at the top of the piece. In any case I painted ours that way. Just an observation.

These two extreme close ups do show how the extra edge work gets rid of a lot of the liquid mask look. In person the weathering seems pretty natural to me. At least it was fun to do.

Last edited:
WOW Builder, I love the detail that you've put into your helmet !! FANTASTIC WORK !!!! Your helmet looks Awesome !!!
Thanks for the painting and stencil direction too !!!

Thanks hvacdon.

Seeing as how I mentioned the rangefinder ear piece I'll say a few things about that part of this build.
Like a lot of you we wanted to have a working rangefinder so ordered Fettinator remote servo and stalk light kits.Very nice products.
Probably one of the most difficult aspects is the alinement of the servo,which is flat,against the curved interior of the helmet.
DSC_5292.jpg After slow grinding and many test fittings I was able to get the servo extension to go through and sit perpendicular,( which is key to smooth operation), to the exterior of the helmet.
Using the servo for alinement I then epoxied the four holding screws down in recesses that I cut for their heads.After they set up I removed the servo and flooded more epoxy over the heads,sealing them into the helmet.
People on the forums have different solutions, depending on their parts, for the attachment of the stalk to the servo and this is what I did with ours.
DSC_5314.JPG Because the type of material in our stalk wouldn't let me drill and tap for a set screw and I didn't want to just glue everything together, I came up with this.
First I cut two notches in the end of the brass servo extension.
DSC_5317.jpg Then I made a pin that would fit tight in the notches and extend past the extension on each side.
I had to make a few pins to get it right,maybe five or six to get one and a spare.I just used a small piece of wire and a Dremel grinder. Trial and error.
Next I rotated the servo counterclockwise to the upright vertical position,set the stalk vertical on the extension,and marked the pin alinement slots I would have to cut in the circular base of the stalk.
DSC_5322.JPG I slowly removed material in those notches till the pin fit tight on each side.
If I have to I can remove the pin to make adjustments to the servo extension or take everything apart. The rangefinder lights micro switch was installed at this time.
DSC_5324.JPG Worked well. The pin can't fall out with the outside earpiece on.

DSC_6902.JPG Final assembly...
If you are interested in my remote switch setup in the gauntlet assembly, as well as the helmet interior electronics and padding, they are pictured on my costume site thread.

Last edited:
Recently decided to take another set of photos of the helmet using a light colored background.When finished it occurred to me that I hadn't seen much
on the forums about photographing the finished helmet or Boba in general. Before my career in art my major was graphic design, which included photography, and then military service
trained as a photographer.

Here's a photo of my simple photo setup and a couple of tips.

DSC_8244.jpg
As you can see there is a single photo flood light in the upper left,a white piece of paper behind and under the helmet,and
a white card reflecting the light back into the shadow side of the helmet. Simple as that. In this case I have a black photo paper background
which has nothing to do with the end result of these photos. You need a camera that you can adjust the shutter speed and lens opening (f-stop) on.
I was shooting in the range of 1/30th to 1-50th sec. at f-16 depending on the light intensity an distance from the helmet. A fully automatic camera might do a
semi-good job in a set up like this but it's an advantage to be able to choose a small f-stop for the greatest depth of focus possible. Then adjust shutter speed
for exposure. Also,if possible, a longer focal length lens, say 85mm or more, will help eliminate distortion in the pictures. If this is too much info... just start with the simple lighting setup and see how it works with any camera you have.

The lighting for the black background shots is virtually the same but the main flood is more to the side. This allowed me to reflect more light into the shadow side which separated it from the dark background a little better.

DSC_8185.jpg DSC_8186.jpg DSC_8187.jpg DSC_8188.jpg DSC_8189.jpg DSC_8190.jpg DSC_8191.jpg DSC_8192.jpg DSC_8193.jpg DSC_8194.jpg DSC_8195.jpg DSC_8196.jpg DSC_8197.jpg

Last edited:
I am also a military photographer. Always nice to see another! (y)

Awesome images!

Thanks deathxcircle. I might be wrong but I may have seen a post somewhere in the forums where you mentioned something about your background.
Don't exactly remember where it was. Small world isn't it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back