General ROTJ costume build (conversion from SE)

Moving along with my conversion, I am embarking on a mission to upgrade my ammo belt. Below is my SE belt.
Ammo_belt.jpg

This is what we see on screen.
full.png

Fantastic shot of the costume exhibited in Madrid on 2009.
full.jpg

I think you can see where the problem is. The texture is wrong, the dimensions are off, and there are missing stitches at the bottom of the ammo boxes and on the belt. I am aware the original belt was derived from the white Supertrooper belt (constructed from white vinyl?) that was later dyed brown, but that's a route I may take another time. So I looked up the penultimate source of reference here and asked a friend, who owns a boot making factory in Bandung, Indonesia, to make a prototype of an ammo box. I briefed her on the color and texture of the leather to use and gave her as many reference photos as I could find in the Gallery. Here's what she came up with. (left is mine, right is prototype)
20180328_150355-01.jpg

It's close, but the color needs to be darker and it's missing the stitching on the bottom. The dimensions of the wood block are perfectly faithful to the blueprint from StrumFett and RafalFett, so I'm pretty happy with that. When the correct leather is found, I will proceed with the rest of the belt.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Finally found time to get submission photos taken and sent to my GML for review. Now, we wait.
20180428-_ROTJ_Boba_Fett_submission-044-2.jpg

Someday I will cross the pond and get professional shots done, so this one will have to do for now.

As for the ammo belt, I have placed an order for Woodman's beautiful vintage vinyl belt and commissioned the awesome bcurtis to dye it. Can't wait! Also ordered a copperhead gauntlet rocket from Dakota so that's one upgrade in the pipeline.

Have a good one!

Last edited:
My GML sent me some feedback regarding my submission that included some issues spotted by the detachment; jetpack rocket is weathered in the wrong color, jetpack is missing some symbols, my left knee armor is wrong (can't believe I missed that!), and a couple of additional photos for some parts are required to clarify some details. I've ordered a set of ROTJ jetpack decals here that should hopefully be shipped soon. The left knee armor has been ordered and shipped from Daz.

Thankfully the rocket is an easy fix. Here's mine. The central part of the rocket should be weathered in black and white.
20180528_083434.jpg

Reference of a screen used costume from the Gallery here.
full.jpg

The ends are masked and the rocket is spray painted with white primer.
20180518_062718.jpg

I used toothpaste to mask out the broad weathering.
20180518_062759.jpg

Spray painted flat black.
20180518_064309.jpg

The toothpaste mask is removed with damp cloth. Fine scratches are added with a metal scribe.
20180518_143505.jpg

Applied a clear coat and it's done!

Daz really came through with an express turnaround on my left knee armor. Put on the strap and launchers in 20 minutes to revise my submission package.
IMG_20180607_083248-01.jpg

Still unsure how I'm going to tackle the (lower) jetpack symbols, but I'll get to it when real life allows me time to breathe. In any case I ordered a set of decals here but I also took a chance on a set of Folio Medium Letraset in 28pt from Evil Bay. If all else fails, I may end up making my own stencils using WoL's template as recommended by Dom. How does everyone else here do your JP symbols?
full.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update: I recently saw the updated CRL draft on BHG and it turns out there are a lot more issues with my costume than I knew about. This led me to withdraw my submission so I can continue working on it, and there is plenty to do considering I'm working towards Infamous level. Here's my tentative checklist;

HELMET
- repaint upper cheeks to correct color.

JETPACK
- install metal collar and thruster side greeblies.
- hand paint the 3 sets of symbols.

CHEST ARMOR
- change attachment method to grommets.

NECK SEAL
- install hook and eye, and velcro on top.
full.jpg

FLIGHT SUIT
- install ankle ties.
full.jpg

RIGHT GAUNTLET
- the switches on mine will be removed to correspond with the reference version based on the weathering patterns. I will then have to patch up the large holes, drill the holes in the appropriate size to match the reference, and match the paint (wish me luck!).
full.jpg

LEFT GAUNTLET
- replace upper with fibreglass cast. Repaint.
- install real Casio MQ-1 battery cover, keypad, metal rocket (with copper head) and red LED lamp bulb.

CAPE (maybe)
- install triangle plate with matching screws and nuts.
full.jpg

full.jpg

AMMO BELT
- replace with vinyl one from Woodman and dyed by bcurtis.

All the required parts have been ordered and some have shipped while a few are still in production. I'm moving between countries in the next 2 months, so I won't be able to work on this until I settle down at my new home and set up a modest workspace. I'll post updates whenever possible.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back