A word from Karen Traviss...

Not sure if anybody's posted this already, but Imperial Commando 2 came up on TheForce.net today...

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/New_Author_For_Imperial_Commando_Series_128128.asp

In a way thats good news. I woudl like if KT stuck with it to finish up the books. But maybe now, the story may have an end to it. Who ever gets to do it, has BIG shoes to fill. KT's work is great. and it would suck if the new guy frak'd everything up (odds are that will happen :cry )

In a way thats good news. I woudl like if KT stuck with it to finish up the books. But maybe now, the story may have an end to it. Who ever gets to do it, has BIG shoes to fill. KT's work is great. and it would suck if the new guy frak'd everything up (odds are that will happen :cry )

Couldn't agree less (about that being good news)--no offense intended. I've read a few Star Wars novels other than Traviss', and can't stand too many of them. Having the last book of the series written by anyone else would feel about as right as someone other than Lucas doing episodes 7-9 of the Star Wars series, even if they did them better. Looks like I'm done with Star Wars books for a while.

As someone who appreciates writers and the writing they do, there's too much I could say about Traviss. This news frustrates me much more than it should...

I guess she does have a very valid reason for her response to people asking her questions. I'd rather have a new book in the RC/IC series than know if Kal Skirata's armor is sand colored or mustard color. Thanks for letting me know this, I'll tell some of my friends that aren't on the costuming sites and just ask her without looking at posts. Thanks for the info!

hello all, new to the site and am loving it.

trying to come to terms with this. i'm not a forum troll so i'm running about a month behind everyone else. when my buddy first told me about Karen's post a month ago i was literally enraged. i felt betrayed by lucas and his constant meddling (its ok to be a control freak and run things your own way, but if thats the way you're going to be, dont let anyone else play the game). and who are these jags that are writing that stupid cartoon? does anyone else only watch it waiting to see if that turd ahsoka just gets killed?

karen is now my favorite modern novelist. i intend to buy and read everything star wars she has written. her experience really makes her military and police characters shine, warts and all, and i've grown very fond of them. and that's what it really comes down to. as much as i adore karen's writing, my loyalty lies more with the characters than the author.

now if the new person doesn't f* it up i'll be satisfied. i personally dont care much about "continuity conflicts" as my tastes run somewhat cafeteria-style. put it all out there and i'll pick and choose what i like and ignore what i dont. case in point, the "tales of the bounty hunters" is an older book for sure, and boy does it ever suck. therefore, i ignore it. ;)

Second the post above.

Up until picking up one of Ms Traviss's books a few months back, I hadn't read a Star Wars book I enjoyed since the X-Wing series (and I whipped right through that in my mid-teens and haven't gone back, though I've fond memories of it). Was definitely looking forward to how thigns were going to turn out for the characters I'd grown somewhat attached to.

I think somewhere along the line, somebody probably should have stopped Mr Lucas for a second and told him in a respectful but firm fashion that he was messing up real bad. Somewhere in between Jar Jar Binks and retconning the most engaging bit of Star Wars since ROTJ.

But on the upside, at least the timing of the retcon is such that we've all been introduced to a talented author we wouldn't otherwise have been exposed to. I'm definitely checking out her other works.

This news makes me very sad. I'd never read a Star Wars book before Karen Traviss. I was a closet Star Wars fan, and reading the first RC book made me love it. I was never a HUGE fan of the God Characters like the Jedi, who make the normal people almost obsolete. Then I read of these wonderful Mandalorians, not long after playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I loved Canderous Ordo, and was eager to learn more. I quickly bought all of the Republic Commando books that were out at that point (3). I loved ALL of RC and the lone IC books. I'm eagerly awaiting the second. Since Karen Traviss, I have not found an author I really like for Star Wars. I'm reading the Legacy of the Force right now, and I'm forcing myself through the third book. I liked the first one, but I wish the second one would have been longer. I love her work, and it saddens me to know that she will no longer write for Star Wars. I will have to check out her other books though.

So sad!

I was really pissed to see this...But I guess if it works better for her not to write anymore, then I will respect that. I am a huge Mando fan like all of you and I love what she has done for Mandalorian culture, etc. She is also a very nice writer, as I have liked quite a few star wars books(as I am a serious Star Wars Freak), but I do think hers were the best. It will still be sad to see her stop..

It's probably a lot different for a writer, but as a reader I don't get upset about canon and non-canon. Like the bumpersticker says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own." :) I tend to overlook minor things like non-canon I like more than the "official story", but hey--it could just be me. :) At least there's one more IC book...when I first heard about this I was under the impression that the story was ending at the end of IC #1 and that was....upsetting, to say the least.

Now I can understand why Karen has given up. Clone wars season 2 Episode 12 ( the mandalorians), was sooo very disapointing to watch.:angry
They have gone and changed everything the Mandos were supposed to be!
Piece loving (spit) mandolorians just does not compute!:facepalm
And now, the only warriors left are the Death Watch!
C'mon, who is writing this stuff?? Now all the Star Wars books from this point on all have masive flaws and mistakes in them!
I wish she would just finish her books for us........ it's lonly without her!:cry

M girlfriend refuses to read IC:501st for just that reason. She says she just can't bear to have anyone screw with her Omega " boys".

it is rediculous how much lucas is screwing everything up. I just plain and simpley put it this way, The Clone Wars cartoon is not cannon. It may be but I refuse to believe that it is because it goes against all the novelizations and Mandolorians, no matter how much they say they are, are not a peace loving race.

Yeah, peace-loving? How'd they get Jango Fett then? If he was such an odd-ball as compared to the rest of the Mandos I'd think the (oh gosh, can't spell it) Kamino-something-whatever-ians wouldn't have selected him to train the clones. *snicker* Or is that no longer cannon?

I must be on my own here, but I'm of the opinion - the more you expand the universe, the more you narrow it. For me, if it didn't happen in one of the films it didn't happen. Anything else is flavour and to be taken with a pinch of salt, cannon or not. There's too much in the Star Wrs universe, written by too many people to be consistant. I know it's all meant to be vetted and approved, clearly with the eagerness to create new material, this isn't happening.

Sadly it's a franchise, designed to make money.

For me Boba Fett is still being slowly digested in the Sarlacc

... and don't get me started on the special editions ;)

I think we have to remember that it's George Lucas's universe... we just play dress up in it. I don't get wrapped up in cannon/ noncannon/ expanded universe stuff. If I like it I learn more about it if I don't I ignore it.

You must also remember that Clone Wars; while adults like it - like me, is meant to be enjoyed by a younger audience. Young kids probably don't read Republic Commando novels (although my kids see me reading it and will eventually read it too)

I loved the OT and and was reintroduced to Star Wars with the prequels. They are what they are. The prequels and Clone Wars are now how MY children will enjoy Star Wars. The way I see it, its keeping the story alive for a new generation of fans.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back